FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  130

Thread: Danny Boy's Mk4 Build - Putting the project on hold for a while...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    IIRC the corners are meant to be bent. You may need to rebend the corners to get the body to fit.
    Oh damn, I totally thought it was shipping damage since I didn't see the corners being bent in the manual. The corners also had some cardboard stuck in between the 2 metal sheets that makes the fuel tank so based on that I convinced myself that some blunt force during shipping caused the bend. I guess I'll have to keep this in mind when I install the body. Thanks!

And you’ll need to flatten the area where it contacts the vertical 3/4” tubes. Oh and that 3/4” you trimmed off is supposed to sit on the flattened flange of the tank lip.
    Is this a common thing? I don't remember seeing this other build threads; perhaps I missed it. The bends on the fuel tank looked completely intentional as it aligns with the fuel tank strap as well as the tray underneath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by facultyofmusic View Post
    Oh damn, I totally thought it was shipping damage since I didn't see the corners being bent in the manual. The corners also had some cardboard stuck in between the 2 metal sheets that makes the fuel tank so based on that I convinced myself that some blunt force during shipping caused the bend. I guess I'll have to keep this in mind when I install the body. Thanks!

Is this a common thing? I don't remember seeing this other build threads; perhaps I missed it. The bends on the fuel tank looked completely intentional as it aligns with the fuel tank strap as well as the tray underneath.
    I checked the build manual again and no, it’s not listed in the manual so I must have read this on another forum post. The bent lip of the tank should be flattened so that the vertical tube and plastic endcap sits flush against the lip.

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the build manual again and no, it’s not listed in the manual so I must have read this on another forum post. The bent lip of the tank should be flattened so that the vertical tube and plastic endcap sits flush against the lip.
    My Roadster manual has the following sentence in the fuel tank installation section: "At the locations on the tank where the tank straps come near the tank, use a pair of pliers and bend the bent parts flat." Then multiple pictures of the tank being installed. Have to look closely, but the lip is flat. Important to do this for the tank to set properly.

X3 (or whatever) on the at Ford gas tank seal. Easy to install now. A pain later. Ford F4ZZ-9072-DA. For 1987-1993 Mustang Fuel Tank. Mark at Breeze sells it as #30103 and it's a genuine Motorcraft part.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-26-2021 at 10:10 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.