Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Factory Five Engines

Post Thanks / Like

Factory Five Engines

Having recently purchased a Factory Five Engine through Blueprint, one thing I notice is only cursory information about that engine build.

For example, exactly what distributor is in the build, and how has it been set up from an advance and rev limiting perspective? What is the cam profile? What kind of rockers are being used? What kind of connecting rods and pistons are being used? What parts are designed and manufactured by Blueprint, versus third-party? There are so many other bits that could be useful information, if only from a longer-term maintenance perspective. I'll figure out all these things if I need to tear down, but it would be nice if I knew up front exactly what is being spec'd by FFR in the Blueprint engines being recommended.

I note no Blueprint Forum or some such. So here is a new thread ....

Thx for any insights ... Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    They're not Factory Five engines. They're Blueprint engines. They're a supplier partner with Factory Five and recommended by them. I doubt very much Factory Five is specifying content to the detail you describe. I'd recommend your ask Blueprint.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blueprint watches this forum and will see your post.

Just guessing but I think they would provide you most the information you are asking for if you just ask them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five doesn't manufacture the product you are asking about, but has a partnership with Blueprint to make packages specifically designed to work with your Factory Five kit. If you contact Blueprint directly with your purchase details, I'm sure they would be able to answer all your questions.

You might also enjoy this:

Last edited by Papa; 07-18-2021 at 04:28 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Thanks LateApex thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I know these strokers are built in Kearney NE. and not by FFR ;-) Unique part number tho. No spec sheet (aside from what is shown on factoryfiveengines.com.) And the few questions I have been asking have not received answers that are satisfying. I am sure this engine will be great, in part because FFR has done their due diligence, and in part because BP has a good reputation. But the information is not flowing as freely as one might expect. I am sure that part of this is the stress the whole industry is under right now ...

Though I would poke here to see if others building their kits using BP engines have found the key :-)

7. Likes chuckster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that BluePrint source a given component (for example camshafts) from multiple vendors built to a common spec. This is just smart business practice given supply chain issues these days.

You might be able to get the cam's specs but not the name of the actual manufacturer.

I doubt that any crate engine builder of any scale is doing things any differently.

The other aspect of this is that where a given engine supplier gets their component parts from is probably considered to be proprietary information by them. They need every edge they can get to keep prices low and be competitive against their competitors.

If you really want to know what's in your engine either go custom or build it yourself.
    Last edited by narly1; 07-19-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great video by the way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for these comments. I am not trying to dig in on supply chain; rather just understand some of the details of build spec. So, things like cam profile and type of rocker assembly seem pretty normal questions. I went down this rabbit hole because I was trying to figure out what distributor is installed, and how it is set up. There is no part number or manufacturer logo on it. I don't have a clear answer here [yet]. It sounds like it is a knock off of an MSD Pro-Billet. And yes I can take it apart and look at springs and bushings, but I would think this info would be available to the buyer (a.k.a. me). That my engine is a unique BP part number indicates that it has some different bits than other standard BP engines of the same type. So, which bits are different? This is just useful information to know as I use and maintain this engine over the coming years.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for this discussion. Thanx for all the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried to PM BluePrintEngines through this forum? They are usually pretty quick to respond on here. When my BPE 347 arrived, it included a whole stack of documentation from the various after market parts they used on my engine. Things like the intake, coil, distributor, accessory drive brackets, power steering pump, etc. A lot of the parts they use are made by/for them specifically for their production engines, but they may be able to help provide you with the specs you're after. The FFR specific features are going to be things like the oil pan used, trimming the transmission housing, and bell housing. The intent is to provide as simple an install into your FFR as possible and to ensure there are no parts hanging below the frame tubes on the roadster, for example.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, this thread started for me when I asked why there were different HP/Torque numbers posted for the FactoryFiveEngines than for the BP engine it is based on on. The answer was, "This engine uses a roller cam". That is great! I missed that bit on the website. I'd rather have a spec sheet though, don't you think? Of course that leads me to wonder about cam profile and distributor gear metal and break-in regimen, and maybe "What else is different?"

Sorry, this is probably boring. And yes, I could have built my own engine. But that horse is out of the barn :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave. I have a lot of good information on the "accessories", except the distributor, which is what I was looking for initially. I have no info on internals. I am waiting to install this into my Type 65! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would never purchase a crate engine from a company that was unwilling to list the components. Really no excuse when other companies do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll find that BPE are really good about talking through any technical details you would have. I ordered a BPE 347 w/TKX and I've found the product to be outstanding. In addition, individuals that have had engine issues (they're going to happen occasionally), they have been very good about getting the problem fixed. Are they cheap, no. But they are plug and play for FFR products.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Found Johnny's contact info in another post. I would reach out to him directly. He will be able to help.

Johnny Mac
    [email protected]
    1-800-483-4263 Ext. 1010

17. Thanks BluePrintEngines thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of great comments here.

@Mag, my expectation too is that we know what parts are being used (or re-used) when buying (or building / re-building) an engine. If this was a rebuild of of a SBF, one would have all the stampings, engineering revision or manufacturing date code, and would be making decisions about fitness for use of various bits for a 400+HP target. If this was a new engine, I'd like to know about the various bits involved in the build. I don't need to know where the part was sourced, as I will assume that a credible builder has a good quality control system, both in purchasing and internally. I am a proponent of "open source", which I guess is reflected in the fact that I am bringing this topic to the community.

@CaptB, I too have been impressed by the BPE reputation. Pretty impressive operation in Nebraska!

@Papa, I am letting this simmer at Blueprint a little bit, to let the communication channel I have there work this topic (Thanx Josh!). There are a couple of odd things I am bumping into on this FFR-specific build; some things that need to be corrected IMO for others going down this path. Thanks for your contact info - I may press that button if needed.

There is a pretty interesting story here about a distributor which I'll share in a couple of days. I'll be poking around at this engine / tranny package more over the next while, just to dot the "I's" and cross the "T's", and to share my experience with engines from this FFR partner :-)

19. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Forte will tell you and let you go to his shop to watch the dyno run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LateApex View Post
    A lot of great comments here.

@Mag, my expectation too is that we know what parts are being used (or re-used) when buying (or building / re-building) an engine. If this was a rebuild of of a SBF, one would have all the stampings, engineering revision or manufacturing date code, and would be making decisions about fitness for use of various bits for a 400+HP target. If this was a new engine, I'd like to know about the various bits involved in the build. I don't need to know where the part was sourced, as I will assume that a credible builder has a good quality control system, both in purchasing and internally. I am a proponent of "open source", which I guess is reflected in the fact that I am bringing this topic to the community.

@CaptB, I too have been impressed by the BPE reputation. Pretty impressive operation in Nebraska!

@Papa, I am letting this simmer at Blueprint a little bit, to let the communication channel I have there work this topic (Thanx Josh!). There are a couple of odd things I am bumping into on this FFR-specific build; some things that need to be corrected IMO for others going down this path. Thanks for your contact info - I may press that button if needed.

There is a pretty interesting story here about a distributor which I'll share in a couple of days. I'll be poking around at this engine / tranny package more over the next while, just to dot the "I's" and cross the "T's", and to share my experience with engines from this FFR partner :-)
    This is starting to look like you have an agenda other than simply getting the details you're after. That usually won't get the results you think here. I'm out.

Dave

22. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    This is starting to look like you have an agenda other than simply getting the details you're after. That usually won't get the results you think here. I'm out.

Dave
    Not sure why you might think that Dave. I have no "other agenda". Thanks for your suggestions in any case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    BluePrint has been very responsive to every question I have sent them about my engine that I purchased from them. Yes, you don't see every spec and detail on their site but they definitely answer questions in a timely manner.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same experience with getting engine specific component information from BP. After some drilling down on their webpage I found the basic engine component information and details that I needed. If you go to their webpage and follow the engine category you are interested in it will take you to the price sheet - under the price is a link to more information and that is where you will find the details on the cam, crank, heads, pistons, etc. - may give that a try.
    1969 C10 w/383 Stroker Loud & Obnoxious

26. Thanks LateApex thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello LateApex,

Thank you for purchasing your engine from us! As others have indicated, we utilize a lot of parts that are built by us or manufactured specifically for us. The web listings are thorough, but anything you would like to know outside of that, we are more than happy to answer for you. The distributor for example on a 347 is "BluePrint Engines" as it is QC'd to our specifications which believe it or not, outperformed the "Name Brand Distributors" and helped us prevent cam gear failures on our engines, when the other "Name brands" were giving us issues in testing. We are more than happy to inform you of your build. You can message us directly and we would be more than happy to assist you. You can contact us directly at (308) 236-1050.

Thank You, Jose
    Last edited by BluePrintEngines; 07-20-2021 at 03:23 PM.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

28. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes CaptB, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Papa,

Thank you for your countless support! We greatly appreciate your assistance. I am Jose with BluePrint Engines. I will now be your direct contact for any Factory Five questions. Johnny has moved into a different role in the company which he asked me to reach out to you guys to inform you. If you have any questions, you can directly email me at [email protected] or you can call me directly at (308) 236-1017. I look forward assisting all of you soon.

Thank You, Jose

Jose Zarraga
    BluePrint Engines
    Technical and Customer Support
    2915 Marshall Ave.
    Kearney, Ne 68847
    (308) 236-1050 Ext. 017
    Last edited by BluePrintEngines; 07-21-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

30. Thanks LateApex, WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post
    Hello Papa,

Thank you for your countless support! We greatly appreciate your assistance. I am Jose with BluePrint Engines. I will now be your direct contact for any Factory Five questions. Johnny has moved into a different role in the company which he asked me to reach out to you guys to inform you. If you have any questions, you can directly email me at [email protected] or you can call mw directly at (308) 236-1017. I look forward assisting all of you soon.

Thank You, Jose

Jose Zarraga
    BluePrint Engines
    Technical and Customer Support
    2915 Marshall Ave.
    Kearney, Ne 68847
    (308) 236-1050 Ext. 017
    Johnny was good, hope it was a good move for him.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

32. Likes FF33rod liked this post