Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  54

Thread: Tesla P85 Powered 818C

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at doing something similar as well, and I'm considering a Tesla drivetrain, but also others. What's the final drive ratio of the rotation of the electric motor and the wheel? It seemed like the Tesla unit has a 4.5 final drive ratio? So like with a 25" tall tire 8000 RPM is 132MPH? Does all that sound about right?

If you don't use a Tesla drive train, how do you gear down before you hit the axle? Use a traditional diff? What if you go dual motor? Diff in front and back for all wheel drive or like, drive back wheels with two motors somehow?

Is there a better place to ask these questions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dokujaryu View Post
    I'm looking at doing something similar as well, and I'm considering a Tesla drivetrain, but also others. What's the final drive ratio of the rotation of the electric motor and the wheel? It seemed like the Tesla unit has a 4.5 final drive ratio? So like with a 25" tall tire 8000 RPM is 132MPH? Does all that sound about right?

If you don't use a Tesla drive train, how do you gear down before you hit the axle? Use a traditional diff? What if you go dual motor? Diff in front and back for all wheel drive or like, drive back wheels with two motors somehow?

Regarding other places to look: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/. I am doing a scratch build Tesla now using a Tesla S Sport large drive unit. The final drive is 9.xx. The motor spins north of 16,000 rpm. Tesla uses large diameter wheels, 20 or 21". The differential is integral to the drive unit. If you wanted to mount it longitudinally for some reason and run it through a differential, Zero ev in the UK makes a replacement gear set that gets you down to the 4.xx range. And I recall seeing someone who has a u-joint adapter to run a normal drive shaft...don't remember who.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dokujaryu View Post

I would use the transfer case and not mount the motor longitudinally if possible. Might as well reuse as much of Tesla's engineering as possible.