Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koni Shock Spring Rates

Post Thanks / Like

Koni Shock Spring Rates

Hey All

Still dialing in the 33. When cruising around town, I get a solid sounding thump somewhere in the front, not sure where, I don't feel it in the steering wheel so I don't think it's control arms or steering rack. This thing is stiff as a board and I almost feels like I'm not getting a lot of dampening from the front shocks.

In the pics I show the car so you get an idea of the set up (full fenders / running board) and I show a shot of the front & rear shocks.

On the front, you'll see that I have my shocks inverted for easy adjustment so I know I'm opening up a can of worms with that discussion but it is what it is. You'll also notice I have the adjustment collar about 1/3" of the way up on the threads. With full fenders this gives me about 2.5" of clearance between the fender and the tire. I've never had tire rub on the front so maybe I'm too aggressive on my setting.

My "theory" on the front is with the 400# spring in the front, and my adjustment on the spring collar to prevent possible tire rub and my lighter engine (SBF 302), I'm thinking my "thump" I'm hearing in the front may be that I'm just too stiff (I have not tried backing off the spring adjustment yet), or the other theory of course is by inverting the shocks they are just not working.

On the rear, you'll see in the pic that I am almost up to the top of the adjustment collar. Anything lower than that I get serious tire rub, especially with a passenger. Even as it is, on huge bumps in the road or potholes I still get minor tire rub even with this adjustment.

As far as rims / tires I'm running FFR's Bonneville wheel / tire package they offer (Front = 245/40R18; Rear = 305/35R20)

Questions:
    1) What are folk's thoughts on the front? Am I causing my own issue with my adjustments? Or possibly the shocks being inverted?
    2) Since I'm only running a SBF 302, and it seems like I need a little more lift in the rear, should I swap the 250# springs from the rear to the front and move the 400# springs to the rear?

20210725_104429.jpg 20210810_054509.jpg 20210810_063259.jpg

Thanks

Jim

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFR puts way too stiff spring rates on their HR kit. And the Koni shocks are low end of the scale when compared to performance shocks. Doesn't matter if you're racing or simply driving your car on the street, good shocks and the right spring rates make all the difference in ride quality and handling. I suggest you bite the bullet and get some double adjustable shocks that you can dial in for your particular car and the roads you run it on. QA1 makes double adjustable shocks that are a direct fit and can be run in any orientation you choose. I run my QA1 Proma Star shocks inverted on the front and can get to the pre-load adjusters and both compression and rebound adjustments. I run 8" 250 lb/in springs on the front (just a little stiff, 225# would be better) and 10" 150 lb/in on the rear but my rear suspension is different than yours. On the front I run extended spring caps to keep the springs separated when running the shocks inverted.

I would suspect that that "thump" you hear and feel on the front is the shock topping out on rebound from lack of damping control. That 400# spring on the front requires a lot of damping and if those Koni shocks are not designed to run inverted, your damping has been compromised. If you want to solve this problem and get a better ride you are going to have to replace the front shocks (or perhaps mount them body down) and go to a much much softer spring than what you have now.
    Front Shocks.jpgHR Front Springs.JPEG

If you want to keep the tires from contacting the fenders, the correct way to do that is with limiting the suspension travel in bump. Cranking up the spring force will negatively affect traction, handling and ride quality and will not guarantee the tire and fenders won't rub.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

3. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, those silver bodied Konis are not approved for body up usage. See the sticky note on list of posts.
    My 33 runs bike fenders with the sbf like you. I settled on QA1 single adjustable shocks with 9" 220# springs and extended caps to invert the fronts. On the rear I am running 10" 200# springs in body down config. Major improvement over the Konis. Only change I would do is perhaps an even lighter spring in the rear like 150-175 like HAZ is using. Mine is not a race car and I built it to drive nicely, not road race harsh.

5. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    FFR puts way too stiff spring rates on their HR kit. And the Koni shocks are low end of the scale when compared to performance shocks. Doesn't matter if you're racing or simply driving your car on the street, good shocks and the right spring rates make all the difference in ride quality and handling. I suggest you bite the bullet and get some double adjustable shocks that you can dial in for your particular car and the roads you run it on. QA1 makes double adjustable shocks that are a direct fit and can be run in any orientation you choose. I run my QA1 Proma Star shocks inverted on the front and can get to the pre-load adjusters and both compression and rebound adjustments. I run 8" 250 lb/in springs on the front (just a little stiff, 225# would be better) and 10" 150 lb/in on the rear but my rear suspension is different than yours. On the front I run extended spring caps to keep the springs separated when running the shocks inverted.

I would suspect that that "thump" you hear and feel on the front is the shock topping out on rebound from lack of damping control. That 400# spring on the front requires a lot of damping and if those Koni shocks are not designed to run inverted, your damping has been compromised. If you want to solve this problem and get a better ride you are going to have to replace the front shocks (or perhaps mount them body down) and go to a much much softer spring than what you have now.
    Front Shocks.jpgHR Front Springs.JPEG

If you want to keep the tires from contacting the fenders, the correct way to do that is with limiting the suspension travel in bump. Cranking up the spring force will negatively affect traction, handling and ride quality and will not guarantee the tire and fenders won't rub.
    Thanks NAZ...no issues spending the money, would you happen to recall the front & rear QA1 part numbers for the shocks/

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    Jim, those silver bodied Konis are not approved for body up usage. See the sticky note on list of posts.
    My 33 runs bike fenders with the sbf like you. I settled on QA1 single adjustable shocks with 9" 220# springs and extended caps to invert the fronts. On the rear I am running 10" 200# springs in body down config. Major improvement over the Konis. Only change I would do is perhaps an even lighter spring in the rear like 150-175 like HAZ is using. Mine is not a race car and I built it to drive nicely, not road race harsh.

Thanks Brave, I guess same question to you, what is the front & rear QA1 p/n you went with on your single adjust shocks?

Thanks for the advice.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim
    For what it's worth, I got the FFR double adjustable upgrade package and have the IRS rear end.
    When I first got the car on the road back in October it was stiff as a board, not comfortable at all.
    I changed the fronts to 220 and am very happy with it. The rears, I believe, are 400 and I've left those for the time being.
    It handles well in street driving so I won't make further adjustments until I do something else with it like autocross.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

9. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will recommend you go double adjustable on the front as you'll want much more rebound damping than compression up front; probably just the opposite in the rear but I can't say that for sure on your car but if so, DA on the rear will allow you to adjust bump and rebound independently.

Below is what I used except I substituted a 225# spring.

Front:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-dd403
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-9018-113
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...=qa1%20springs
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...yword=qa1-bc02 I used the shorter bump stop on the front.

I designed my rear suspension so that I could use the same shocks as the front so I can't help you with part numbers there. While I can't remember the motion ratio on the FFR rear three-link, it's probably not too different than mine. Therefore, you could likely use just a slightly stiffer rear spring than I'm using, say maybe 50# more but I suggest you copy Brave Salmon's set-up in the rear if you both have the same suspension system. Also, I suggest you add bump stops to the rear in whatever amount necessary to prevent the tire from contacting the fender. You can stack bump stops.
    Last edited by NAZ; 08-10-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    I will recommend you go double adjustable on the front as you'll want much more rebound damping than compression up front; probably just the opposite in the rear but I can't say that for sure on your car. Here's what I used:

Front --
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...yword=qa1-bc02

I designed my rear suspension so that I could use the same shocks as the front so I can't help you with part numbers there. While I can't remember thee motion ratio on the FFR rear three-link, it's probably not too different than mine which is .957. Therefore, you could likely use just a slightly stiffer rear spring than I'm using, say maybe 50# more but I suggest you copy Brave Salmon's set-up in the rear if you both have the same suspension system. Also, I suggest you add bump stops to the rear in whatever amount necessary to prevent the tire from contacting the fender. You can stack bump stops.
    Thanks for the info on the front Naz.

Should have clarified on the rear I'm running 4-Link suspension. I currently have the 17.5" Koni w/ 250# springs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Thanks for the info on the front Naz.

Should have clarified on the rear I'm running 4-Link suspension. I currently have the 17.5" Koni w/ 250# springs.
    If it were my car, I'd reduce the spring rate on the rear maybe 75# and adjust from there. These cars are not cookie-cutter builds so expect that some experimentation will be required. Even the best engineers and experienced crew chiefs use an iterative process in adjusting the suspension so don't expect "ideal" with the first change. I also understand you don't want to make an expensive science project out of this and that's why I'm saying reduce the rear by 75#, it's a moderate aggressive change that should get you closer than your current. Body roll may increase a bit on the autocross course but so will traction and ride quality will improve even more with the correct damping.

13. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone considered the upper A-arm hitting the tube frame when the suspension moves upward? I checked the amount of movement and it doesn't allow the wheel to raise much at all before the arm contacts the frame. I don't think I've bottomed mine out yet, but with the horrible roads here in Mass I'm sure it's bound to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were my car, I'd reduce the spring rate on the rear maybe 75# and adjust from there. These cars are not cookie-cutter builds so expect that some experimentation will be required. Even the best engineers and experienced crew chiefs use an iterative process in adjusting the suspension so don't expect "ideal" with the first change. I also understand you don't want to make an expensive science project out of this and that's why I'm saying reduce the rear by 75#, it's a moderate aggressive change that should get you closer than your current. Body roll may increase a bit on the autocross course but so will traction and ride quality will improve even more with the correct damping.
    Game Plan:

For the front I ordered NAZ's suggestion for the QA1 Double Adjustable Proma Star Shocks from SummitRacing per NAZ's list

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...yword=qa1-bc02

For the rear I'm going to start with installing 175# 10" long QA1 springs (2.5" dia) on the existing Koni Shock. I figure if I still do not like it, then I'll order QA1 single adjustable shocks and reuse the 175# 10" long springs.

I also have a set of 12" long 175#-350# QA1 springs (2.5" dia) I could try on the rear Koni shocks too that I must have bought for another project (Maybe my 55 F100, can't remember).

Thanks for all the help.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 08-10-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I forgot to mention that you'll want to get some spanner wrenches for adjusting your QA1 coilovers, the Koni spanners won't fit. You'll want to get a set of the traditional long handle spanners and for the front, these will come in very handy:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-t115w They work great in tight spaces such as on the front of your HR.

18. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I forgot to mention that you'll want to get some spanner wrenches for adjusting your QA1 coilovers, the Koni spanners won't fit. You'll want to get a set of the traditional long handle spanners and for the front, these will come in very handy:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-t115w They work great in tight spaces such as on the front of your HR.
    Awesome, appreciate it NAZ

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the QA1 Proma Star double adjustable shocks in the front today as well as swapped the 250# 8" Koni springs in the rear for some 12" 175#-350# incremental QA1 springs. All I can say is Wow, Wow, Wow, what an amazing transformation in the ride. I still need to tweak the slightest bit yet in the front, but it is so nice to ride around feeling like the shocks are working and having a smooth comfortable ride verses feeling like I my suspensions is a brick. In the springtime, I may also swap out the rear Koni shocks with QA1 shock too, but for now with the new springs they are much better..

I still need to do the alignment since the car is sitting much lower now due to the koi shocks in front being inverted and I had to movementment in them what so ever.

Some observations doing this:
    * What a PITA swapping front shock with the hood, side covers & full fenders on. I got it done, but I did a lot of reaching / stretching to get in there.
    * I'm not sure how you guys without lifts build these cars. I have a 4 post lift which i used for my whole build however today, I just told myself "it's just shocks, how bad can it be?, I'll doing this with the car on the garage floor".....Holy crap, also having the belly pan underneath and trying to first see to figure out where to jack the car up front, and then to get the car high enough to actually work under there, and then the constant up and down...wow, I can't do that anymore, getting too old for that stuff. My wife is wondering if I'll be able to move tomorrow. Kudos to all who build these without lifts.

Thanks for all the advice / help everyone (especially NAZ), I greatly appreciate it.

Jim

21. Likes NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I know what you mean about how important my lift is now that I'm old.

Post Thanks / Like

Front ride height - full fenders

Hi guys
    I’m debating on the whole shock/spring situation as well. I had only a small clearance between fender and tire so I took the front end apart and adjusted the springs and put it back together.
    I’m at the extreme end of the adjustment and probably have too mush preload in the front end as well. Here’s what it looks like. 67734B65-95AA-4192-953C-9409F39CD296.jpeg

Now i have some clearance above the tire, maybe more than in need with this spring rate.
    The spring perch is 4 in up on the adjustment collar. At the front of the flat part of the frame, I’ve got just a bit over 5 in. Once I drive it a bit, I expect it will settle.
    Any comments?
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

Post Thanks / Like
    First a few questions. Front ride height measured at the bottom of the tubing directly below the firewall? How much tire to fender clearance do you have at full bump? What front spring rate and no-load spring length are you working with? Were these shocks supplied in your kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    First a few questions. Front ride height measured at the bottom of the tubing directly below the firewall? How much tire to fender clearance do you have at full bump? What front spring rate and no-load spring length are you working with? Were these shocks supplied in your kit?
    Yes for ride height.
    I don’t know at full bump. Not sure how to compress the suspension enough. I think I might put some foam under the fender to see if it makes contact while driving. I’ve got a couple of inches above the tire now.
    I’ve got the stock 400# springs. Not sure the length.
    Stock shocks.
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're going to eventually end up coating your inside of the fenders with a protecting (bed liner, rubber coating, etc.) then for now just spray a light coat of white paint (rattle can) on the inner fender in the general area of the tire. If it makes contact you'll see scuff marks.

Jim.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you set your front ride height to (inches of clearance between the bottom of the tubing to the ground)?

To determine the tire to fender clearance at full bump requires you to install the shocks without the springs and carefully lower the jack until the car's weight is fully on the shocks at full bump travel. Carefully so you don't allow the weight of the car to be supported by the front fenders if they should contact the tire. If the tire hits the fender before full travel is reached, measure the shaft travel left so you can determine the amout of bump stop to install. You'll want to turn the wheels lock to lock when checking clearance.

Once the springs are off you can measure their free length. I would also encourage you to consider installing softer springs unless you like the ride of a Conestoga wagon.
    Last edited by NAZ; 08-14-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    NAZ, quick question for you

On my QA! Proma Star double adjustable shocks, I just noticed that the shocks at rest are compressed on the bump stops, seems odd to me.

The good news is the bump stops you suggested keep the tires from hitting the front fenders but any idea why this is?

My settings:
    C = 10 clicks
    R = 4 clicks
    225# springs

I wouldn't think a 302 would be that heavy.

See attached pic
    20210816_075856.jpg

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    The softer springs require more preload for the same ride height as the originals. You will have to adjust the preload to meet your ride height needs. If you know your weights and how much droop you want I can calculate it or since your car is similar to Brave Salmon you can use his preload adjustment as a starting point.

I suggest you start the compression and rebound settings at zero and adjust from there. You'll need sections of roads that have sharp bumps (like speed bumps) and large rolling bumps that really exercise the suspension so you can fine tune the damping. I like to start with rebound as since it is driven from the spring is a constant. Run over speed bumps and adjust a couple clicks at a time until you no longer feel the clunk when the shock tops out, then fine tune from there for the ride you like. Generally speaking about the only time you will notice too little compression damping is on a g-out (bump so big that the suspension bottoms out). But too much compression damping will make for a very hard ride so start with zero compression damping and adjust from there. It really shouldn't take much compression damping.

30. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The softer springs require more preload for the same ride height as the originals. You will have to adjust the preload to meet your ride height needs. If you know your weights and how much droop you want I can calculate it or since your car is similar to Brave Salmon you can use his preload adjustment as a starting point.

I suggest you start the compression and rebound settings at zero and adjust from there. You'll need sections of roads that have sharp bumps (like speed bumps) and large rolling bumps that really exercise the suspension so you can fine tune the damping. I like to start with rebound as since it is driven from the spring is a constant. Run over speed bumps and adjust a couple clicks at a time until you no longer feel the clunk when the shock tops out, then fine tune from there for the ride you like. Generally speaking about the only time you will notice too little compression damping is on a g-out (bump so big that the suspension bottoms out). But too much compression damping will make for a very hard ride so start with zero compression damping and adjust from there. It really shouldn't take much compression damping.

The interesting thing is I did preload the springs and set my ride height at 6.5" (1" above the suggested manual height to give myself a bit more clearance), after driving it and sitting for the last couple of days the ride height settled lower.

Because of that, I'm starting to wonder if the QA1 225# 8" springs for my application is right. If I think about various weights on my application, it looks like this:

* 302 SBF = ~460 lbs fully dressed
    * Radiator / fan / Grill set up = ~30 lbs
    * Full fenders, hood, side covers & belly pan = ~ 50 lbs
    * steering rack, Suspension parts / frame in front = guessing ~75 lbs (maybe more)

Total weight from above = ~615 lbs.

The two QA1 225# springs support 500 lbs max so unless I'm thinking about this wrong it seems like I'm ~150 lbs light. I'm wondering when FFR spec'd the 400# springs in front if they were looking at worst case scenario meaning hood, side covers, full fenders and belly pan on top of 400-600 lbs for eng plus the other weight I mention above

The funny thing is the manual suggests ride height at 5.5" for full fender cars and I set my ride height at 6.5" as noted above and now after a couple of days I'm right at 5.5" with my suspension fully compresses against the bump stop. It does look kind of cool (see pics) and it doesn't rub on the tires and I can turn lock to lock without the tire hitting the fender so the 1" or so high bump stops I sourced (from NAZ's p/n) work fine.

I'm just wondering if my shocks being bottomed out on the bump stops are a result of too light of springs for my particular application.

Thoughts on my thinking or am I looking at this wrong.

20210816_085100.jpg 20210816_085108.jpg

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, a few things to keep in mind:

1. Spring rates are per inch so each 220# spring at 2" of preload will have a force of 440 lbs or 880 lbs for the pair. So let's say you let the car down off the jack and roll it several feet forward and back to check your ride height and the springs settle 1.5" under the weight of the car, that combined force is now 1,540 lb.
    2. Preload must be set with the springs fully extended and no weight being supported on the tires to avoid damaging the preload adjusters.
    3. If you make a preload adjustment then simply lower the jack without rolling the car fore and aft, the ride height will be higher as the A-Arms swing on an arc and the tire will resist the movement and bind the suspension. You MUST roll the car for and aft some amount (several feet) to ensure you have no suspension bind before checking the ride height.

Let's take my car as an example. My front tires support 1,233 lbs with me in the car and ready to race. I have 8" 250 lb/in springs with 6.95" preload length which means I have 1.05" of preload and that gives me ~5" ride height. I check ride height after every race and after almost three-years now have never seen the springs "settle".

So with your car on a jack and the front wheels off the ground, measure the length of your 8" springs and subtract that number from 8" to determine your preload. That preload amount times 220 will give you the amount of force each spring has in stored energy before you lower the car to the ground.

Don't give up just yet, you'll get it worked out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting thread for me even though I am encumbered by a different and needing chassis.
    Too much spring rate, just right, or too little = relevance. I think I see a rocker arm ratio on the UCA so wheel rate is not the same as spring rate but it is proportional.

To my surprise the chassis I am developing has significant bump steer making me (more) skeptical. Have you Hot Rod guys measured bump steer?
    My Hot Rod photo review suggests a bit of camber gain on compression. Have you measured that?
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, a few things to keep in mind:

1. Spring rates are per inch so each 220# spring at 2" of preload will have a force of 440 lbs or 880 lbs for the pair. So let's say you let the car down off the jack and roll it several feet forward and back to check your ride height and the springs settle 1.5" under the weight of the car, that combined force is now 1,540 lb.
    2. Preload must be set with the springs fully extended and no weight being supported on the tires to avoid damaging the preload adjusters.
    3. If you make a preload adjustment then simply lower the jack without rolling the car fore and aft, the ride height will be higher as the A-Arms swing on an arc and the tire will resist the movement and bind the suspension. You MUST roll the car for and aft some amount (several feet) to ensure you have no suspension bind before checking the ride height.

Let's take my car as an example. My front tires support 1,233 lbs with me in the car and ready to race. I have 8" 250 lb/in springs with 6.95" preload length which means I have 1.05" of preload and that gives me ~5" ride height. I check ride height after every race and after almost three-years now have never seen the springs "settle".

So with your car on a jack and the front wheels off the ground, measure the length of your 8" springs and subtract that number from 8" to determine your preload. That preload amount times 220 will give you the amount of force each spring has in stored energy before you lower the car to the ground.

Don't give up just yet, you'll get it worked out.
    Hey NAZ

#1) - Okay, now I understand, Thanks as always for clarifying
    #2) - Agree, this is how I did mine
    #3) - Agree, this is how I did mine

No giving up, you're teaching me some really valuable stuff here and I do appreciate you taking the time to do that.. I'll get my car jacked up in the next few days to measure my preload (high school soccer starting today so I will be running around a bit these next few nights).

Thanks

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    JR, the front motion ratio on the Gen-1 cantilevered upper arms is ~1.37:1. Interesting that I did not record the camber gain or my bump steer before and after as I'm anal about data. I did have to adjust the bump steer and to facilitate that I started with a bump steer kit (for a Mustang if memory serves) and customized that with a few parts to install a Pinto taper threaded pin to adapt the rod ends and stack my spacers & shims. The original kit used thru-bolts which I didn't like. If I remember I was able to get bump steer down to just a few thousands over a range of of four inches (+/- 2" higher and lower than ride height). That was checked at straight ahead and at 20-deg left & right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naz, Your bump steer correction is excellent.
    I was looking at Roadracer's autocross photos, and it looks to me like positive camber in turns, with body roll. Not many options to correct other than a static setting to compensate.
    I heard the HR castor spec is 8* I never experienced that. I assume steering effort is high.
    BTW, when you pull out all the stops, what is your ET?
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    JR, I haven't run this combo yet but on paper it should run mid eights with a 300-shot of nitrous on a full pass at Wild Horse Pass on a winter night when the DA is only ~2500'. I hope to see mid nines on the engine only but we'll see. With the other combo it would run nines but at the end of the 2019 race season I pulled the 500 HP street engine and built a bigger "nitrous" engine dedicated to drag racing (compression ratio is too high for pump gas). Also put in a new narrowed axle with 3.90:1 gears and a spool. The gear ratio with my small tires should wake up the car as I was running 3.55:1. But Covid preempted the 2020 racing season and the first half of this year so in JAN I started building another race car, this time for desert racing. That's kept me so busy I haven't even cleaned the dust off the hot rod this year. And I was going to run the street racing event in Kingman this OCT but I likely won't be ready now. This is a legal street racing event where the city closes down a stretch of highway so you run an unprepared track heads-up for fun and whatever side bet you want to wager. Several racers in my car club have gone to this event.

Post Thanks / Like
    NAZ I reconditioned/repaired a 1923 Studebaker for a collector and sold it to a guy in Kingman. He was a large PIA. Wooden wheel car with (rear) outside-drum brakes.
    That event sounds like fun, and the kind of thing that resolves BS.
    I assume you will do your best to not break-out of the 8.5 class.

I integrated Lexus IS300 powertrain and suspension into my Series I Excalibur which is the 1953 vintage Studebaker chassis, kingpins, trunnion pins and bell crank steering.
    The bump steer was complicated by the 50's style swept-back control arms. Lexus tapers are not SAE or QA1, so I used straight pins on the steering and re-tapered the ball joints.
    I fabricated a drag link for the too wide rack/pinion, which gave me options for the tie rods. A lot of Speedway parts in that.
    That car is a replica of a 1929 Mercedes SSK now.
    jim

chassis build 2.jpg

39. Likes NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally getting back to this. Odd stuff going on, I'm missing something. I also turned both the compression & rebound knobs full clockwise before starting anything to get a base line.

NAZ, here is the info
    * 1st pic; With the car jacked up (wheels off the ground), my spring height is 7.5" so structracting that from 8", I have a .5" preload times 225# gives me a 112.5# each spring has in stored energy before lowering the car
    * 2nd pic is actually the first pic I took with the car sitting at ride height. The springs are compressed down to 5" at ride which seems odd / extreme to me.

I'm a little more confused now than before, I'm not sure why the 225# springs are both compressed to 5" at ride height and the shocks are bottomed out on the bump stops.

Pic 1 (wheels off ground; .5" preload):
    20210820_080809.jpg

Pic 2 (car @ ride height - driven around block before taking pic with "C" and "R" knobs at full counter clockwise):
    20210820_074722.jpg

The other thing I don't understand, is even with only .5" preload, I'm 2/3 of the way through the threads on the QA1 shocks already.

Something is off. There are no markings on the QA1 springs that I see so maybe Summit sent me the springs, the box did say 225# though.

I'll keep digging. My next step is going to be to remove the QA1, remove the springs, reinstall the shocks and see if the shocks bottomed out on the stop gives me the clearance I am seeing now (with springs) attached of it it will sit lower yet / hit the fenders. If it's the same height, then something is either messed up on the shock or the springs are wrong.

The instructions for the QA1 DD403 shock recommend 10" springs, I have some 175# 10" springs I guess I could try.
    20210820_082737.jpg

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 08-20-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I too am interested in the NAZ take on this.
    Shocks and damping have nothing to do with ride height, they just limit stroke speed.
    Your 225lb springs at 3" compression are at 1350lb spring compression and 985lb wheel compression based on NAZ rocker ratio of 1.37. Seems right and seems light.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    Jim, I too am interested in the NAZ take on this.
    Shocks and damping have nothing to do with ride height, they just limit stroke speed.
    Your 225lb springs at 3" compression are at 1350lb spring compression and 985lb wheel compression based on NAZ rocker ratio of 1.37. Seems right and seems light.
    jim
    Agree on they "seem" light but I could very well be missing something. I learning a ton of stuff from everyone and I love the education, just feels like I'm overlooking something from my lack of knowledge or 225# springs are indeed too light..

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found this on-line, pretty interesting stuff, obviously not being an engineer by trade I never thought about half of this stuff when I think of a what to me is a simple coil spring. Guess it's not.

https://www.qa1.net/assets/uploads/d...le-Weights.pdf

In the PDF it talks about 25-30% max compression for springs, since I'm using an 8" spring and my springs are compressed to 5", that is ~37% compression.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 08-20-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, it will take much more preload that what you’ve dialed in to keep the front at an acceptable ride height. If you know the front-end weight, I can calculate the preload required for whatever droop you need for your desired ride height. If you don’t know the weight you can dial in a couple inches of preload and see what ride height you end up with and we can calculate how much to adjust from there.

Also, if you have or can borrow a dial caliper and get me your spring wire size I can calculate the coil bind height. Also helpful is if you can get an accurate measurement of the distance between the center of the upper arm pivot (chassis attachment point) and the center of the hole you have your shock mounted in. I just want to check if your Gen-2 has the same motion ratio as the Gen-1.

Remember, this is an iterative process as every car is built different. Of course if we know the actual weight of the front it makes it easier to get to the goal line.
    Last edited by NAZ; 08-20-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, it will take much more preload that what you’ve dialed in to keep the front at an acceptable ride height. If you know the front-end weight, I can calculate the preload required for whatever droop you need for your desired ride height. If you don’t know the weight you can dial in a couple inches of preload and see what ride height you end up with and we can calculate how much to adjust from there.

Also, if you have or can borrow a dial caliper and get me your spring wire size I can calculate the coil bind height. Also helpful is if you can get an accurate measurement of the distance between the center of the upper arm pivot (chassis attachment point) and the center of the hole you have your shock mounted in. I just want to check if your Gen-2 has the same motion ratio as the Gen-1.

Remember, this is an iterative process as every car is built different. Of course if we know the actual weight of the front it makes it easier to get to the goal line.
    Thanks NAZ, I have a calipers at my other garage so I will grab that tomorrow. I will gather this info (try to get the weight) and respond in a day or so.

I assume on this --> "if you can get an accurate measurement of the distance between the center of the upper arm pivot (chassis attachment point) and the center of the hole you have your shock mounted in" you want the upper shock mount hole right since I am measuring the upper arm pivot point?

This is fascinating stuff.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Jim -- I'm assuming that the distance from the upper pivot to the ball joint on the Gen-2 hasn't changed as that would also change the front end geometry which would create a lot of work for FFR. The distance from the pivot to the shock mount on the Gen-1 is 7.75" and if yours is the same then I expect the motion ratio and shock angles to be the same on yours. These all are baked into the calculations to determine how much spring rate you car needs (as well as some others suspension stuff). It's all black magic to most but really makes sense once you understand it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Jim -- I'm assuming that the distance from the upper pivot to the ball joint on the Gen-2 hasn't changed as that would also change the front end geometry which would create a lot of work for FFR. The distance from the pivot to the shock mount on the Gen-1 is 7.75" and if yours is the same then I expect the motion ratio and shock angles to be the same on yours. These all are baked into the calculations to determine how much spring rate you car needs (as well as some others suspension stuff). It's all black magic to most but really makes sense once you understand it.
    Got it, Thank You NAZ

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 08-23-2021 at 06:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some playing this weekend on the QA1 double adjust Proma Star shocks, got really efficient at removing shocks / swapping springs upfront.

What I found is any combination of spring height or weight under 250# causes the QA1 Proma Star shocks to bottom out on the bump stop (no shock travel at all). Nothing changed no matter how much preload I put on the springs. On 250# springs it "starts" to keep the shock from bottoming out but not still not great. The combinations i tried were as follows:

* 175# 10 spring; 1" preload --> shocks bottom out on bump stop, no shock shaft seen, 5.5" ride height (tires ~3/4" from fender, doesn't bottom out due to bump stop, but no shock travel)
    * 175# 10 spring; 2" preload --> shocks bottom out on bump stop, no shock shaft seen, 5.5" ride height (tires ~3/4" from fender, doesn't bottom out due to bump stop, but no shock travel)
    * 175# 10 spring; 3" preload --> shocks bottom out on bump stop, no shock shaft seen, 5.5" ride height (tires ~3/4" from fender, doesn't bottom out due to bump stop, but no shock travel)
    * 225# 8" spring; 1" preload --> shocks bottom out on bump stop, no shock shaft seen, 5.5" ride height (tires ~3/4" from fender, doesn't bottom out due to bump stop, but no shock travel)
    * 225# 8" spring; 2" preload --> shocks bottom out on bump stop, no shock shaft seen, 5.5" ride height (tires ~3/4" from fender, doesn't bottom out due to bump stop, but no shock travel)
    * 250# 8" spring; 1" preload --> shocks are about 1/4" from bottoming out on bump stop, 5.75" ride height (tires ~1" from fender, doesn't bottom out but very little shock travel)
    * 250# 8" spring; 2" preload --> shocks are about 1/4" from bottoming out on bump stop, 5.75" ride height (tires ~1" from fender, doesn't bottom out but very little shock travel)

All preload was done with wheels off ground, then adjusted coil, then lowered car, then rolled car back and forth 5-6 feet several times.

For s**ts & giggles I then removed the 400# 8" springs from the koni shocks that came with the kit and installed them on the QA1 Proma Star shocks to see what happens, here are the results

* 400# 8" spring; .5" preload --> no bottoming out on bump stop; ~1.5" of shock shaft still seen, ride height 7" (tires ~2.5" from fender, too much clearance)
    * 400# 8" spring; 1" preload --> no bottoming out on bump stop; ~1.5" of shock shaft still seen, ride height 7.25" (tires ~2.75" from fender, too much clearance)

Now, not sure why the above is from a calculation standpoint, but I have physical trial an error data. So, 400# springs definitely keep the shocks from bottoming out on the bump stops, I have actual shock travel which in my opinion is important to be able to adjust the QA1 shocks, but the car sits too high. The 250# springs are not quite enough, clearance between tire & fender is still too low, very very little shock travel. Feels like the sweet spot will be 300# springs. I ordered a set of 300# 9" springs (this way I can get 1.5" - 2.0" of preload if needed), I think this will put me in a good spot for the front and I can then adjust the compression & rebound knobs on the QA1 shocks from there.

The feel of the ride with the 400# springs and the QA1 shocks set to 6 on "C" and 10 on "R" was comfortable (not too stiff)

I also ordered single adjust Proma Start (DS601) shocks for the rear. With the Koni's, I have tried 250# 8" springs, 175# 10" springs, and no matter how much preload I put on the springs to increase the ride height the tires smack the fenders hard on bad bumps. I also ordered some longer bump stops (I know from above the bump stop is what keeps the tired from hitting the fender). I then ordered some 300# 12" springs for the rear shocks.

I think between the combination of adjustability on the QA1 shocks with a little more spring I will end up pretty good. Ride may be a little more stiff but I'm actually okay with that.

Naz -

I still owe you one measurement on the dia. of the 225# coil, I just didn't get to my other garage this weekend to grab my calipers to do that.

On the distance between the center of the upper arm pivot (chassis attachment point) and the center of the hole you have your shock mounted in --> Mine Gen2 frame is 7.0" (due to full fenders, I'm using the lower mounting hole in the upper control arm)

Regarding the weight, I don't have scales to do individual wheels so I can't get per wheel weight, but when I had the car weighed for regisstration it was 2,512 lbs. if I use a 55/45 rule (I'm told that will get me in the ball park), that puts me at 1,381 lbs upfront, 1,131 lbs in the rear so 690 lbs per corner upfront and 565 lbs per corner in the rear.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 08-23-2021 at 07:24 AM.

49. Likes RoadRacer, J R Jones liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast