Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any defroster condensation issues when running a/c?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Any defroster condensation issues when running a/c?

This question is mainly for those in hot/humid areas...

I put the defroster vent holes on the top of the dash, where the manual says to put them, but they seem pretty close to the windshield. Here in Florida I expect to be using the a/c a lot. I'm concerned condensation will form on the glass when pumping out cold air.

Has anyone had any issues with condensation forming on the windshield when running the a/c?

If so, has anyone used a damper (or something else) to turn down or turn off those vents when not needed?

Or is this not a problem?

Thanks!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The system should shut off the defrost vents by itself. I have had my 35 for 2 years in FL with no such issues. Why would you have A/C blowing out the defrost except when the window fogs up?
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I guess I didn't think that the system was smart enough to shut off the defroster duct when running a/c. I thought it just pumped air out of both output duct 100% of the time, regardless of temp selection. So of the 2 ducts coming off of the evaporator, one is a/c and the other is defrost? I haven't used it yet, so I'm not 100% sure how it works.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're using the Factory Five heat-A/C system in your truck, it's the same one I have in my Coupe. There are no damper controls so unless you add something the defrost vents are running all the time. Along with any other vents you have connected to the supplied evaporator unit. The only controls are temp and fan speed. Simple but works OK. Granted Michigan weather isn't quite the same as Florida weather. But condensation hasn't been an issue with ours.

I'm doing a truck build myself. But installed a Vintage Air system that has full damper controls on the defrost, dash and floor vents. Basically the same controls as all DD's except without any type of automatic temperature control. There's room in the truck for a system like that, so chose not to use the smaller and much simpler unit from Factory Five.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    If you're using the Factory Five heat-A/C system in your truck, it's the same one I have in my Coupe. There are no damper controls so unless you add something the defrost vents are running all the time. Along with any other vents you have connected to the supplied evaporator unit. The only controls are temp and fan speed. Simple but works OK. Granted Michigan weather isn't quite the same as Florida weather. But condensation hasn't been an issue with ours.

I'm doing a truck build myself. But installed a Vintage Air system that has full damper controls on the defrost, dash and floor vents. Basically the same controls as all DD's except without any type of automatic temperature control. There's room in the truck for a system like that, so chose not to use the smaller and much simpler unit from Factory Five.
    I got the Vintage system FFR sold with the kit, so I'm going to stick with that. Good to know there aren't any issues. I found a y-splitter with a cable controlled butterfly valve; I guess if I feel I need it, I can add it later.

Thanks for the input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLFrank35 View Post
    I got the Vintage system FFR sold with the kit, so I'm going to stick with that. Good to know there aren't any issues. I found a y-splitter with a cable controlled butterfly valve; I guess if I feel I need it, I can add it later.

Thanks for the input!
    I wasn't trying to get you to change systems. Only citing my experience and explaining what I chose and why. I'm still confused about what Factory Five actually supplies with their optional A/C system though. They list part number 34691 as the optional A/C system for both the truck and the hot rod. That system is pictured in their parts catalog with a Vintage Air evaporator. But their instructions for that system clearly show a Siroco evaporator. Which is the same one they supply for the Gen 3 Coupe. Which I have experience with. It works. But chose something a little more advanced for my truck build since there's enough room.

If the system you have doesn't have vent doors in the evaporator, adding a butterfly valve in the ducts is good idea. Thought about that for my Coupe. But wasn't enough room.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-11-2021 at 06:10 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, let me know where you found the cable controlled splitter as I have the same unit and concerns as you.
    Thanks, Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't trying to get you to change anything. Only citing my experience and explaining what I chose and why. I'm still confused about what Factory Five actually supplies with their optional A/C system though. They list part number 34691 as the optional A/C system for both the truck and the hot rod. That system is pictured in their parts catalog with a Vintage Air evaporator. But their instructions for that system clearly show a Siroco evaporator. Which is the same one they supply for the Gen 3 Coupe. Which I have experience with. It works. But chose something a little more advanced for my truck build since there's enough room.

If the system you have doesn't have vent doors in the evaporator, adding a butterfly valve in the ducts is good idea. Thought about that for my Coupe. But wasn't enough room.
    Oh no, I didn't think you were trying to get me to change my system, I was just stating my plan. I really appreciate the options/advice from you and the other experienced builders because this is my first and I am on a sharp learning curve. Sometimes I feel like I'm in over my head, and I'm trying to figure out what I should/shouldn't/able to do. Your build thread is very informative; I enjoy the big, clear pictures and the thorough explanations

Also, I said that I have the Vintage system but it's the Siroco too, I guess Vintage just sells it.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver View Post
    Frank, let me know where you found the cable controlled splitter as I have the same unit and concerns as you.
    Thanks, Ed
    I searched the web for a couple hours and this was the only thing I could find...https://www.ebay.com/itm/33145069387...oAAOSwWKtUuGix
    It's sold by a company from London, UK; the price is $33US + $7 shipping. I'd buy from a US company, but I didn't have any luck finding one that sells it (or something similar).

Post Thanks / Like
    Just spent a few minutes with Google and found this from a US supplier…can’t attest to where it’s actually made…

https://nostalgicac.com/2-5-inch-def...with-flap.html

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Frank and Pat. If I have room I will try to incorporate a splitter and add a third vent to the dash or floorboard.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't trying to get you to change systems. Only citing my experience and explaining what I chose and why. I'm still confused about what Factory Five actually supplies with their optional A/C system though. They list part number 34691 as the optional A/C system for both the truck and the hot rod. That system is pictured in their parts catalog with a Vintage Air evaporator. But their instructions for that system clearly show a Siroco evaporator. Which is the same one they supply for the Gen 3 Coupe. Which I have experience with. It works. But chose something a little more advanced for my truck build since there's enough room.

I've been emailing Dave at FFR and he mentioned that he hasn't had time to update the website photos yet with the new pictures of the unit.
    The old one is Vintage Air, the new one - I believe you are right - looks to be a Siroco evap, but which one?

I'm investigating this new/smaller unit for the cobra...
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

13. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    ...the new one - I believe you are right - looks to be a Siroco evap, but which one?

I'm investigating this new/smaller unit for the cobra...
    From my build notes -- the unit that came with the Factory Five supplied heat-A/C system for my Gen 3 Coupe was a Siroco Boreal 600 D65 d16 12V 3V. Rated at 4.45 Kw heating, 3.20 kW cooling.

A French company and I believe that's where it was made. Their website shows this model plus many others they produce. I'm guessing Factory Five chose this one because it's very compact and probably the only thing that would fit in the Gen 3 Coupe passenger footbox. I looked at alternatives before purchasing it. But nothing I could find, including anything Vintage Air offers, was nearly as small. But also it's very basic as I already described. Two outlets that run all the time. Could be the same unit they're using for the Hot Rod and Truck kits. But I don't know that for sure.

15. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Landymore View Post
    Just spent a few minutes with Google and found this from a US supplier…can’t attest to where it’s actually made…

https://nostalgicac.com/2-5-inch-def...with-flap.html

Hope this helps!
    Ah! That's great! Maybe I wasn't using the right search terms.
    Thanks!!

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    From my build notes -- the unit that came with the Factory Five supplied heat-A/C system for my Gen 3 Coupe was a Siroco Boreal 600 D65 d16 12V 3V. Rated at 4.45 Kw heating, 3.20 kW cooling.

A French company and I believe that's where it was made. Their website shows this model plus many others they produce. I'm guessing Factory Five chose this one because it's very compact and probably the only thing that would fit in the Gen 3 Coupe passenger footbox. I looked at alternatives before purchasing it. But nothing I could find, including anything Vintage Air offers, was nearly as small. But also it's very basic as I already described. Two outlets that run all the time. Could be the same unit they're using for the Hot Rod and Truck kits. But I don't know that for sure.
    yes - from the looks of the directions it seems to be a 4-speed switch, no vent selection so all ports at once, and variable levels of heat, or A/C with the flip of a switch

Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yup, that's the one I have. Kit was delivered 2 years ago.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank my kit came with Vintage air system that had electric steeper motors to control the separate def / heat and a/c vents. I did not know FFR changed suppliers.

5F79FC38-CFF3-42EA-8923-790EA2C1D8A2_1_105_c.jpeg
    Last edited by wallace18; 08-11-2021 at 03:44 PM.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Frank my kit came with Vintage air system that had electric steeper motors to control the separate def / heat and a/c vents. I did not know FFR changed suppliers.

5F79FC38-CFF3-42EA-8923-790EA2C1D8A2_1_105_c.jpeg
    Ah, that helps clear up some confusion.
    Thanks