Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Driveshaft Safety Loop for Truck build

Post Thanks / Like

Driveshaft Safety Loop for Truck build

I'm looking to purchase and install a driveshaft safety loop for our truck build.

Does anyone build one specific to the truck?

Searching the forum, I see lots of chatter about the Metco MDL2500 which is designed for the FFR MkIII and IV, will this part work for the truck as well?

I will be running a Coyote mated to a TCI 4R70W transmission...Looking to see how other truck builders solved this problem.

Regards, Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Warren, you may want to take a look at FLFranks build thread. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...oop#post424589 There is some good discussion and pictures. I used the same one from summit on mine, only I ended up shifting it an inch or two aft.

Post Thanks / Like
    McGuyver...Thanks for your reply and link to FLFranks build, his photos were helpful. After searching the internet it seems like most all driveshaft hoops are designed similarly, that is to just contain the driveshaft after breakage. I have not found one geared toward shrapnel protection. Because the trans yoke/u-joint/driveshaft sits in the cabin next the occupants, I am now thinking about fabricating a seamless ballistic tunnel that runs from the output shaft to the rear bulkhead.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's good you're thinking about driveshaft safety -- most don't even consider it. Having a couple explode on me I'm very tuned-in on how to protect from another as it's really only a matter of time before I experience another one.

Driveshaft enclosures are mandated by NHRA in some classes and here's just one example of a compliant one: https://timmcamis.com/shop/drive-sha...osure-kit.html

The class I run mandates safety loops and in addition, I fabricated a ballistic cover from .125" 6061 T6 alloy the full length of my cockpit. While deciding how to proceed I suggest you look at NHRA rules to get an idea about how this sanctioning body has developed mitigation measures to improve safety in this area just to get some ideas. https://www.nhraracer.com/content/ge...000&zoneid=132
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    NAZ...thanks for the links, very helpful and informative.