Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Ray's 818C Build in Maryland

Post Thanks / Like

Ray's 818C Build in Maryland

I received my kit today! I now have 45 days to do the inventory. After a 5 month wait I am surprised to find that there are several parts either circled or left blank on the inventory form. Those parts should be shipped later. I have a donor 2002 Subaru Impreza that I started taking some small parts off of but I have a long way to go. I recommend anyone buying this kit to read through as many previous posts you can for advice before beginning the tear down. For one thing I am labeling every wire I take off of a component so I can figure out whether to remove it or keep it for later. I plan to take pictures and document the whole process. I plan to include any parts I find worn beyond reuse and where I find new parts. So for now here is the pics I took today!
    IMG_1166.jpgIMG_1167.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1169.jpgIMG_1170.jpg

2. Likes AZPete, jbs72697, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Where in MD are you (there are several builds in the area).
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Lake Linganore. New Market area of Frederick County.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet, just a few miles from me (Damascus) and a few others; plus I need to head that way to hit the wineries and restock .
    Feel free to reach out if you have questions, need a hand or a certain tool, or want to see a relatively complete 818.

Have fun!!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm up in westminster, my build is complete if you have any questions feel free! also if you have a facebook local 818 builders have a group chat

Post Thanks / Like
    I took all the body parts off the chassis and now I need to start the parts inventory.
    IMG_1178.jpg

8. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hola from NM. We are here to help, as best as we can. Good luck. You can do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have slowly and patiently removed the wire harness from my donor car. There is no rush as FFR hasn't sent all my parts yet. But I did send them an extensive list of parts that were not in my kit that they said was. The weather here is good for the moment but its going to start getting cold out soon and I'm building in my driveway. I do not have a garage. So for anyone trying to figure out the best way to strip down your donor this is what I recommend. Start with the trunk lid, Hood, and all 4 doors. Then start removing the wire harness from the tail lights and move forward. As you go label everything. WARNING: Subaru runs wires through strange places. So just follow the wires and remove everything out as you go. Rear seat, front seat, carpet, dashboard, heating/cooling fan, AC, then go to the front of the car and start with the head lights and move back toward the dashboard. eventually you will have something like what I have here in these pictures.IMG_1258.jpgIMG_1259.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]154728
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, I feel your pain. Removing the wiring harness was definitely an "interesting" experience. When all was said and done, I opted for Wayne at VCP to do my harness. SO much cleaner, but you do give up the factory ECU. I'm actually really enjoying the AMP/EFI one Wayne supplied and learned a lot about programming/tuning it. I have a front mounted fuel tank, so I opted for the ECU IN the cockpit, but Wayne sets it up so it mounts neatly on the upper right of the rear firewall in the engine compartment. This picture shows how clean the tunnel stays without all the "extra" Subaru wires...

IMG_3675.jpg

If you do decide to tackle dieting the Subaru harness, hopefully you got Craig's (Zero Decibel Motorsports) delete list. Totally indispensable...

Good luck

12. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I've been slacking on keeping up on other builds on the forum. Welcome to the MD FFR crew. I'm In Baltimore City I have a 818r, but I also race in SCCA with a 96 Impreza Coupe and use to race a 03 WRX (10 years) so lots of Subaru history and experience.

I post more on IG see my profile @ biknman.

FYI for my 818r and my Impreza coupe I went the iWire harness / services route even though my day job is wiring and I've wired lots of street and racecars.
    FFR 818r Instagram biknman69
    2020 Ram 2500HD, 19 Forester Touring DD, 96 GM coupe for SCCA SM
    “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
    • Ernest Hemingway

Post Thanks / Like
    OK so I had a patio put in on the side of my house and then put a big tent called a portable garage on it. I moved the frame in and made a small workbench out of some spare lumber I had laying around. So at least my build will be sort of inside. However my donor car (2002 Impreza RS) still sits in the driveway. I have a car cover over it so the HOA doesn't come down on me about having a torn apart car in my driveway. Most of the car has been striped down. I started with the wire harness and just removed things as I went like the seats, carpet, and so on. I have not identified all the little black boxes that are tied into the harness yet but I bought the Chilton's book for the car and should have no problem identifying them later.
    So far for my build I have installed the underside panels and the front. Then went back to stripping the donor car because now I need to lower control arms, Spindles, Wheel hubs, breaks and so on. Unforunatley for me most of the suspension and break parts are rusting away. I feel these parts are too important for me to use them so I purchased new Spindles and hubs but the lower control arms are in good shape. I will clean them up and repaint them. I'm going to try to clean the calipers and frames and get new disks. I have also found a site that sells entire emergency break kits for this car. So far I have shopped Rockauto, partsgeek, carparts, and benzeenautoparts. Not to mention eBay and Amazon. If you know of other places that have slightly used or new parts please feel free to share!
    As of this writing all I have left to remove from the donor is the rear end and the gas tank. Unfortunately for me the weather here in Maryland has finally turned cold. We had a nice warm December and if I could have spent Christmas in the driveway I would have. My wife would probably have left me if I did that though. I may have to brave the icy cold to pull the rear end out this month so I can continue with my build. If my spindles and stuff arrive soon then I will start on the front suspension. I just need to remove the lower control arms from the old spindles.
    Lastly but certainly not leastly. I would like to thank you for reading this post and sharing your wisdom!Garage.jpgDonor car.jpg
    Last edited by Ray Vidal; 01-05-2022 at 10:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ray, I'm also near by in the area if you need any help. I can email you the Subaru factory service manual and wiring diagram if you'd like, it's very useful especially if you plan to diet your OEM harness. I went through that whole process with my 02 wrx donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello STiPWRD....Yes I would like those diagrams. Please send them to [email protected]. Thank you! I do plan on using the wiring harness that took me a month of Sundays to remove!