Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Bought a Challenge car and -- questions

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a Challenge car and -- questions

I've purchased a MK3 Challenge car and doing some modifications to it to make it street legal. So far that's not been difficult. Give it a windshield, operational headlights and blinkers. Adding heat and windshield wipers.

First question my wife asked me was, what happens if we get caught in the rain? My answer of "we get wet" was met with her "wrong answer look." So I was wondering if any of the tops that FFR makes actually fit over the roll bar cage of a challenge car? If not, has anybody ever attempted to make/modify one?

Has anybody else made one of these street legal? Any other advise would be welcome. The one I bought is an MK3 chassis, with MK4 suspension, a 302 stoked to 347, Trickflow cam, heads, intake.

-John

Post Thanks / Like
    John42,

I have a Mk4 Challenge Car and planning for street legal. Still in the design phase so I can't help with the "legal" parts.

Not sure about the top, I have no plans for one and don't think a factory one will fit. Roll bar height and the rearward supports are all to tall or extended. In previous cars that had tops (Superformance) I drove in the rain more w/o the top than with. A large golf umbrella helps when you get to a stop but if you can get to 50mph or better most of the water goes over the top. Sun visors and wind wings help but mirrors on the front fenders (normal position) will direct water under the wind wings into the interior, usually your left (outside) leg. I had snap-in tonneau covers and used them a lot, I'll have a tonneau for the Challenge Car.

I was never under the influence of female companionship so I don't know how that all works. I suspect that it would modify even the best laid plans.

I don't think there are huge differences between the cockpit and roll bar areas of the Mk3 and Mk4. Happy to help if I can. PM if you wish.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the Bimini tops that a forum member (SJDave) makes. This might be an easier solution to make work with a challenge car roll bar than a full top.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-summer-months
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I like that Sunbrella idea. Looks pretty good too!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are enough shops that will build you a custom top with no problem. Find one that makes bikini tops for boats as well and they will probably be able to make one for you. There is one local to me in NC, but a little far from MI.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
    There are enough shops that will build you a custom top with no problem. Find one that makes bikini tops for boats as well and they will probably be able to make one for you. There is one local to me in NC, but a little far from MI.
    Aye... I've found a local shop and another one just across the MA border. "The plan" is once the weather start going to cold/rain/snow, I'm going to have some body work done and get a top made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a road going Challenge car and have a Bimini type top for it. Roy Gregerson out of Utah/Salt Lake City made it. I use the top all the time on our annual runs. Love it!
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

8. Likes john42 liked this post