FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Window gasket gap

Post Thanks / Like

Window gasket gap

Hey guys.
    Somewhere in the form I have seen the dimension for the door gap for the side windows. So you can fit the gaskets into. I can’t seem to find that picture can anybody point me in the right direction? That’s the gap that the cat head gasket fits into and the felted weatherstripping fits into around the window jam

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is the thread you're asking about. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...oor-window-gap. For me, this is still an open topic. I'm not happy with the materials FF provided for the bottom. Still looking for a better alternative.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Likes Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry:

I gave up on mine and just put them back together. Window opening at the bottom of the window sill exceeds 1” total before the rubber is installed. It’s nice and tight though along the top and up 90% of the sides. Tried some things, spent more money, the ideas didn’t work.

If I’m recalling correctly where I did trim I used around 9/16” as a starting approximation. If it was too tight anywhere just cut a bit more with the Dremel saw until glass + rubber fit nicely. BTW…those little saws are awesome for this job!

Sometimes, so so becomes acceptable…. in my world anyways…..
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 09-26-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you. that was the thread I was looking for. Great help. has anyone out there got pics of the transition between the felt and cat head and where at the bottom of the opening does it start?

Post Thanks / Like
    Right or wrong, here’s where mine are on the driver’s side. Pass side similar.
    You will also notice I’m using felted all the way around on the inside. This is bc when FFR sent me a replacement pass door, I asked for extra felted as wanted to do it this way. Figured if (which it wasn’t) the replacement door’s window fit was tighter, that full felted on the inside would reduce drag on the glass.

F1DC6726-A45C-4D07-BB16-DF02614447F2.jpeg

FC9890AC-1152-432C-9CC8-68DCFBC8ECF8.jpg
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 09-26-2021 at 03:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So Pat you used felted all the way around on the inside and the cat head or whiskers seal all the way around on the outside. If I am reading the manual right are they suggesting to use felted only from the 2 bottom corners and around and cats head or whiskers on the bottom portion on the inside?

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely correct Jerry

Felted inside, cat head/all rubber on the outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m being honest here…I couldn’t give two ** what the manual advises. If my instincts speak louder will listen to them 10 X out of 10.

My build is so far out of scope from the manual that I can’t even tell you anymore….
    Haha 😂 😂😂
    Last edited by Pat Landymore; 09-26-2021 at 03:39 PM.