Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Heater and defrost

Post Thanks / Like

Heater and defrost

I am sure there is a thread out there somewhere but couldn't find it. I am a few months out on getting my kit but I am looking at heater and defrost options. What heater options work with the glove box dash and wipers. Believe I need a defrost in Texas for build and registration purposes.

2. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you do this but I have a better time using Google using something like "factory five heater" and a lot of the the forum posts will come up. The search capability in the forum is atrocious.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelcher View Post
    I am sure there is a thread out there somewhere but couldn't find it. I am a few months out on getting my kit but I am looking at heater and defrost options. What heater options work with the glove box dash and wipers. Believe I need a defrost in Texas for build and registration purposes.
    What Capt suggested is right. Then you get the other forum too. There are lots of solutions. The most common is to modify the heater location to accommodate the glove box.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

5. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't gotten to that point yet, but I plan on heater, glove box, and wipers. My starting point was the firewall forward kit. There's a few builds on here that have pulled it off as I'm planning. The only one coming to mind is EdwardB. Check out his Mark 3 build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see where anyone could add a heater like say Factory Five's and have a glove box, it's too crowded but I'm sure someone has done it.

I opted for the Breeze cubby hole and my doors inserts have pockets. So I kept the smooth dash and added the heater.

5.jpg
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    for both heater and glove box, you'll need to modify the glove box for both to work. it ends up being like 1" deep, enough for title/registration paperwork. The other options are the forward firewall that will bump it out a few inches or fabbing a bump out for the heater to sit more into the engine bay.
    rear cubby is a good option if you're wanting some storage options in the cockpit. I've also got the door cards from Herb w/ the deep pockets for storage. and depending on your seats, there may be some available storage options behind the seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many have done a glove box with heater / defroster, either with a shallow box or a bump out on the firewall (if you're sure you have clearance with your engine).

A google search like "defroster heater glove box roadster site:thefactoryfiveforum.com" will get you what you need. Or similar for the other forum. Here's one that came up.

Can check Fixit's build thread for one example. Mine ... messy on the backside which no one will see, but grabs all the available room, and just what you want to see on the front.

I bothered because of the look on the right side of the dash more than anything. It clearly won't store much, but papers, gloves and phone should fit.
    Last edited by John Ibele; 08-17-2022 at 12:31 PM.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a box to push the heater into the engine bay approx 2.5". Also made my own glovebox out of 3/32" aluminum and welded it.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...chmentid=67294

Glovebox hinges are a bit bulky, but work well.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...hmentid=110127

If you click on Prev & Next in the upper right corner, you can see how it looks in stages and assembled.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 08-17-2022 at 12:31 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this boxed out idea and I think that is the way I will head. Any clue if the wipers will still fit in that space.

Post Thanks / Like
    I custom made a 1” deep glove box similar to the one Alex offered. And I have the heater and wiper in standard position.

Vince
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelcher View Post
    We've done a few Texas cars and neither had heater/defrost (both cars passed inspection and are registered). If you're determined to install one anyway, here's what we've done on a recent build. It also has windscreen wipers.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptB View Post
    Not sure if you do this but I have a better time using Google using something like "factory five heater" and a lot of the the forum posts will come up. The search capability in the forum is atrocious.
    if you want specific search from this forum type this in your google search "thefactoryfiveforum.com heater defroster"
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!