Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Forced Induction

Post Thanks / Like

Forced Induction

So I already have a donor car lined up that I am finishing the last 10% on. It's a 2014 brz with a 6.3 ls6 (bored and stroked), Bullseye Power s475 turbo, CD009 trans, and ford 8.8 rear end with IRS making ~900 rwhp.

I already know the current manifolds will not fit in the engine bay as the turbo sits behind my head light where the frame is on the F9r chassis. Because of this I am considering swapping to two smaller twins or a remote mount for the s475.

Correct me if I am wrong but the chassis is the same, or very close to the same as the '65 coupe. Has anyone here also thought about forced induction or know of anyone who has done so on the '65?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember correctly, I think they said the chassis is based on the Type 65 but the wheelbase was stretched 9"(?) and also widened by quite a bit.

With the engine set so far back in the chassis, I would think there should be quite a bit of room available in front of the engine.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Erik Treves did a twin-turbo roadster (The Green Lantern) and currently has a twin-turbo Type 65 Super Coupe.
    He is a Master Builder and well-known Guru within the Factory Five Community.
    To say that Sir Erik knows his stuff is an Extreme Understatement.

Turbo Upgrade Video:

https://youtu.be/d0QyuW5yezs

You can see his work in action 21 minutes into this video:
    https://youtu.be/2ZSf-GdpPRI
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-12-2021 at 11:05 AM.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Engine bay wise the F9 and Gen 3 Coupe are the same... There are a few places in the engine bay that you will have to contend with to get twins in there.... the main "issue" is really that the chassis is very stiff - which also means there is a lot of frame structure. The Extra width of the F9 might help in placement of the turbos OUTSIDE of the frame.... this can't be done on the coupe and still maintain side exhaust... I am not sure how the new nose will look but I am guessing that it be a little more compact... so this will kinda force the direction toward the coupe setup. I think the LS is narrower the mod motor so this will help... for reference .....here is mine...

FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

5. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know a guy who once -- with a little help from Wayne Presley -- crammed a V12 with two turbochargers into the standard FFR Roadster chassis.

I know that a few OEMs are doing hot-vee designs now, for packaging among other reasons. Are there any crate engines out there designed to "reverse-flow" for a turbo setup in the valley? It would present its own challenges but probably solve some of the common problems, too.

Cheers, John
    FFR10004105RD: Twin-turbo BMW V12 powered FFR Roadster
    Currently garaging 2,600hp spread across 78 cylinders and 4 turbochargers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    I am not sure how the new nose will look but I am guessing that it be a little more compact... so this will kinda force the direction toward the coupe setup.
    Yeah, time will tell and it’s ultimately be whatever fits under the hood is what I’m going with. I’ve seen a few LS builds in corvettes and GTOs that have either the turbos mounted where you have them down and to the side or the other option is right in front of the motor.

B8D15C6E-EA99-4AA9-A75C-1F92FC5DB541.jpeg

BDCEDC23-F604-4756-989C-5AC7C443DE7D.png

8. Thanks MEBlake thanked for this post