Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for steering coupler

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for steering coupler

This is not for a Cobra. It's for my old Falcon. I need a coupler thats 11/16-36 spline on one end and 1 inch DD on the other. I have a u-joint to that spec, but it's to long. It moves the steering wheel out to far. A coupler would work. I just can't find one .

Post Thanks / Like

Steering shaft

If all else fails, you could cut a little off of either or both shafts.

Post Thanks / Like
    The I DIDIT shaft has very little to cut off and the steering box input shaft is pretty short from the start.I just took a u-joint that I bought that has the proper ends on it to a machine shop. They are going to cut the u-joint part out from the middle and reweld the two halfs together.that will remove about 1 3/4 inches from the length of the coupler. That should work. It's a shame it's costing me $315.00 total for just the coupler.$115.00 for u-joint and $200.00 for the machine shop work.Steering column sure looks good though.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar problem with a Camaro Resto Mod, sent the steering column back to Ididit and they made the shaft shorter.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first stop for steering shaft components is always Borgeson. Here you go:

https://www.borgeson.com/Couplers-an...1dd-x-11-16-36

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. I call Borgeson and was told that they only had the u-joint in that spec.I bought the u-joint from them and had the u-joints cut out and the two ends welded together.Sure would have been nice if they had told me they had a straight coupler.I bought their power steering pump when I bought their power steering box. It was so noisy I sent it back and bought a pump from Summit Racing.Their mounting brackets were great. It made it easy to install the Vintage Air compressorIMG_20200611_170228.jpg