Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM Bump Steer kit

Post Thanks / Like

GTM Bump Steer kit

I am finishing a Gen II build and would like to add a front bump steer kit.
    FFR says they are discontinued, so no help there.

Anybody have one on the shelf for that car they got rid of years ago?

Thanks in advance
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know about the GTM, but when looking for a bump steer kit for my 818S, I got a bump steer kit for the Subaru donor car. Wouldn't a GTM use a bump steer kit for a C5 Corvette?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes/no/sort of

One end needs to fit a corvette, the end that connects to the steering rack needs to fit a mustang
    Probably going to need to start with a corvette bump steer kit and adapt to the mustang rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    The common problem here is that the 818 is not Subaru identical and the GTM is not Corvette identical. You can get those kits and make them fit the disparate components but the 818/GTM geometries are likely not the respective OEM geometry. Therefore you may have to adapt the kits to optimize bump steer. Measuring bump steer is well documented here, but finding the solution is complex.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I compare my friend's amazing GTM to my 818 and the difference in the level of complexity is immense. While a bump steer kit for a Subaru donor car is about a 1/4" too short (says my respected suspension tuner), it's "good enough" (says me and my respected suspension tuner). Respect to you GTM builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adding length to the outer tie rod end to satisfy bump steer really means that your steering rack location relative to your upper and lower a-arm locations is wrong. If adding spacers to lower the outer tie rod end, would mean that the steering rack needs to be raised. Obviously the opposite would apply for the reverse situation.