Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Daytona Wheel and Tire Repository

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there, new guy here and clear as mud on many topics, but trying to learn!

I was really wanting to go with the vintage look with 15" wheels, old school 3 link and would really like to avoid spacers. I'm told Levy has a Wilwood kit for the 15's so that appears to be solved. I was considering the IRS, but now not sure. Really surprised that the GEN3 has clearance issues and having to use spacers. I'm sure it is due to shared parts with other kits, but I would guess some would even pay an upcharge to have it solved.

Anyway, I know there isn't any data here for the combination I described. However, it might help me to learn if someone has the width for the IRS in comparison to the Mosiers that are offered. Also, I was told the narrow width is for Pin Drive, but not sure if that is accurate.

If anyone can provide a little clarity on those things, it would be greatly appreciated!

***If this is in the wrong thread, please let me know and I will repost elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    With a solid axle, your rear wheel offset/backspace specs will depend exclusively on the width of the axle itself. The Mustang donor axles varied in width over the years, with the newer ones being wider than the earlier ones I believe. The Moser axles may or may not be the same as the Mustangs (FFR would be able to tell you). Pin drive is indeed the most narrow setup, as the wheels had the deepest dish.

Gordon Levy is a good resource for all of these components. He can build you a kit with the right axle, wheels, and even brakes to achieve the look or performance you're going for. I would not be surprised if you still need spacers though, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Give Gordon a call and see what you come up with.

4. Thanks racingandfishing thanked for this post
    Likes racingandfishing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance you could share links to the original posts where the info came from? I’m looking for pics of the rocket attack wheels on Dave fort’s car, but I don’t know who he is ��

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have direct links to each car on the list. I do know Dave Fort's info was posted to one of the FFR Facebook groups though. He never posted pictures of the wheels and tires in a side shot or with the body on, just a rear tire width glamor shot. I messaged him for more, but never heard back.

If it's the Rocket Attack wheels you want to see pictured on a Daytona, check out Dave Tabor's car. He has the Attack wheels on his blue/white (now +orange) car, and he is here on the forum as well as YouTube with videos of his car on track.

7. Likes gtrclark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What wheels are these (and where do I find them):

A2-CAM10002.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Those wheels are the Forgiato FV3

https://forgiato.com/wheels/forgiato/fv3/

-John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of this info. Is it possible to share the actual spreadsheet? I'd like to do a process of elimination. I need to be able to go over the 12.88" rotor with six piston caliper in the front.

Also, does anyone have a preferred source for wheels and/or tires? Looking for all good ideas from people who have done it before!

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I am wondering what model number the first wheels are on the Joey Logano car, below. They are obviously different from the ones on what looks like the same car (second pic), which look like Rays/Volk G025.

coupe-r-1.jpg

1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jphoenix View Post
    What wheels are these (and where do I find them):

A2-CAM10002.jpeg
    I was really interested in these as well and I had asked FFR about them in the past, they said they were 19' and it was really difficult to find tires for them, and advised against it. Since they are custom, you could get 18's and have a better tire selection.

14. Thanks Jphoenix thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nnolte View Post
    Also, I am wondering what model number the first wheels are on the Joey Logano car, below. They are obviously different from the ones on what looks like the same car (second pic), which look like Rays/Volk G025.
    mnolte - I have both of those wheel/tire setups already specified in the repository. The top photo is the Forgestar F14, and the bottom picture is the Volk Rays ZE40. Listed under FFR Snap-On in the name column.

As for fitting over a 12.88" rotor up front, that's pretty easy by most counts. Diameter wise, there are even 17" wheels that will fit easily over that brake setup, but it depends what you're looking for.

Personally, I would recommend 18" wheels to ALL builders for the best possible tire selection, easy brake and suspension clearance, as well as best looks if you're not going for period-correct authenticity (15" wheels are tough for a whole list of reasons).

Post Thanks / Like
    OP has been updated. Several new builders have submitted data.

17. Thanks rhk118 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread and talking to a friend with a cobra, it appears 18” rims are the way to go, 315 on the rear seems to be easy, but I’m seeing 245, 265 and 275 on the front are common, any reason why 275 over the 245? I plan on power steering if that makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jphoenix View Post
    I’m seeing 245, 265 and 275 on the front are common, any reason why 275 over the 245? I plan on power steering if that makes a difference.
    More rubber = more grip

Power steering is all the more reason to go with 275 fronts. Really, if you somehow managed to get TOO much rubber up front, I have heard of only two potential drawbacks:

1. On the street, you could experience what many call tramlining on grooved or brushed concrete roads like interstates, or bridges, but I have not found it to be a problem even with 305s on the front of my S550 Mustang. YMMV.

2. On the track, too much tire for a given vehicle weight might make it hard to manage tire temps. For example, at an autocross where you have a 30-90 second run followed by 5-15 minutes of waiting for the next run, you won't be able to get enough heat in the carcass of the tire to extract maximum grip from the compound. So in that case, you spent more money on bigger tires only to go slower. Quite a niche occurrence, and most people (even casual autocrossers) would not be affected by it. Suffice to say, 99.99% of the time, the maximum amount of rubber is always best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that all makes sense, 275 it is then.I like the look of the 15" wheels and tires, but the larger diameter wheels seem to be better handling overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for some help.
    I am going with the Forgestar F14s in 18x12 in the rear and 18x10 in the front. I just contacted "Getyourwheels" and they stated the 18s now come in ultra deep option, what would be the offset I would be looking for with that option? Would the best option be ultra deep on the rear and super deep on the front or ultra for both?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Korbar I assume you are planning on a 335 30r18 for the rear? I did use that size and if I did it all over again I would go 315. Had to modify frame and have the perfect offset and cannot lower the car too far or they will rub.
    Just my thoughts so take them for what they are worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsnake View Post
    Korbar I assume you are planning on a 335 30r18 for the rear? I did use that size and if I did it all over again I would go 315. Had to modify frame and have the perfect offset and cannot lower the car too far or they will rub.
    Just my thoughts so take them for what they are worth.
    Actually, I was planning on 315, but that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts on this setup?
    18x10 Super Deep 0 offset
    18x12 Ultra Deep -25 offset
    Forgestars F14s Bespoke

Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that they now offer Ultra Deep Concave in 18” diameter is great. I would have ordered those if they had them back then. I have SDC on both front and rear, as seen in the repository top post.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love data gathering like this.. awesome job!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

27. Likes Logan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Logan for your repository, which I've used for reference on many occasions.

However, it's been a year since updated.

Anyone running Forgestar 19x10 super deep concave and 19x12 ultra deep concave wheels and have any thoughts? Snowman has these on his with +14mm offset front and -25mm in back. However, he doesn't look to be active on the forum for almost 2 years and his build thread ended before he put the body on.

Any guidance would be appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
    Thank you Logan for your repository, which I've used for reference on many occasions.

However, it's been a year since updated.

Anyone running Forgestar 19x10 super deep concave and 19x12 ultra deep concave wheels and have any thoughts? Snowman has these on his with +14mm offset front and -25mm in back. However, he doesn't look to be active on the forum for almost 2 years and his build thread ended before he put the body on.

Any guidance would be appreciated!!

Also, GetYourWheels quoted $2600 for the above wheels in gloss black, shipped.

Is that a good price? I've seen several guys use GetYourWheels. Do they ever go on sale?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I'm glad you're finding the repository useful. That is what it is for, a guide for builders to see the range of fitments that others have used. There is no single right answer, and the track/racing crowd may have different goals than the casual weekend cruiser. There are setups here which cover both ends of the spectrum.

Snowman has finished his Daytona. It is silver with black stripes, number 89 on the doors. You can see it in Rsnake's videos on YouTube (channel name Cobra Daytona Build). The wheels and tires look great, and the fitment to the body is flush at the fenders.

As for pricing on Forgestar wheels, it varies by distributor, especially for the custom offsets. I know Forgestar themselves usually have a Black Friday sale, but that is a while from now. Their vendors may have smaller sales throughout the year. I have worked with GetYourWheels before, a legitimate company staffed by humans. Give them a call to inquire about future sales, as long as you are able to wait to order.

Lastly, for anyone who is wanting to see this repository grow and thrive, it all depends on user submitted data! Builders, please make a post here on this thread or send me a PM with the specs needed and I will add them and maintain the most current version in the top post. If you know of builders not on the forum here, ask them for their specs and get them to me. Facebook, Instagram, non-internet users you may know of... there's hundreds (thousands?) of these kits out there. The more data we sample, the better the repository.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Logan for directing me to Rsnake's video with Snowman's car. The wheels do look great.

Without this forum and your repository, I probably would have been scared off from ordering custom wheels and just got the Halibrands.

Jason at Get Your Wheels has been great. Emailed me back at 8:30 PM, which was unexpected. And they're $100 less than everyone else I've gotten quotes from.

32. Likes Logan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

That seems like a good price. Mine were about $3400 after tax, shipping and everything just over a year ago. I did have them made in a custom color which added a couple hundred bucks per wheel. Below are the wheel and tire specs that I used. I also based my order on what snowman posted but, made some changes. Check out my build/youtube channel(https://www.youtube.com/@ShakeysDaytona) to see what they look like. No rubbing or any clearance issues. Wilwood Superlite 14in rotors in front and 13in in back.

Wheels:

Front: FORGESTAR F14 SDC 18X10 Backspace: +12 Bolt pattern: 5X114.3
    Rear: FORGESTAR F14 UDC 19X12 Backspace: -25 Bolt pattern: 5X114.3
    Finish: GLOSS BRUSHED ANTIQUE BRONZE

Tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3
    Front: 275/40 R18
    Rear: 325/30 R19

V/R

Shakey
    Shakey. Coupe Base kit ordered Dec 2021. Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Daytona-Build

34. Likes JimStone liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    Jim,

That seems like a good price. Mine were about $3400 after tax, shipping and everything just over a year ago. I did have them made in a custom color which added a couple hundred bucks per wheel. Below are the wheel and tire specs that I used. I also based my order on what snowman posted but, made some changes. Check out my build/youtube channel(https://www.youtube.com/@ShakeysDaytona) to see what they look like. No rubbing or any clearance issues. Wilwood Superlite 14in rotors in front and 13in in back.

Wheels:

Front: FORGESTAR F14 SDC 18X10 Backspace: +12 Bolt pattern: 5X114.3
    Rear: FORGESTAR F14 UDC 19X12 Backspace: -25 Bolt pattern: 5X114.3
    Finish: GLOSS BRUSHED ANTIQUE BRONZE

Tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3
    Front: 275/40 R18
    Rear: 325/30 R19

V/R

Shakey

Love the color of your wheels. Really brings out just how deep dish those things are when the light hits them. And the 18" in front seems to make the 19's in back look even more menacing

36. Likes Shakey liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12