Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fuel Cell install Gen III Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Cell install Gen III Coupe

Not wanting to die in a fire nor particularly liking the OEM fuel can (a lot of slosh and seems sort of exposed) I swapped it out for a fuel cell- details below.

I made no modifications to the car's frame but simply made a couple of custom straps and top location-spacers (upside down channel/flat plate 'T') - 4 of these. The straps use the original frame mounts.

I did trim the top plate of the cell (took it completely apart) in 4 areas - the idea is that by drilling the fabricated spacers I can shift the cell laterally if I were to try to corner balance the car- I've not yet done this.

I used a cardboard template to mock this up.

My considerations were that I wanted a perimeter-bolted top lid (not a shoebox) and no remote filler. I have to fill the tank through a door in the rear hatch area floor which works for me.

If I were to do this again or when this bladder expires I might just try the FFR cell that Fuel Safe also sells (Challenge Car).

The foam takes up about 2-3 gallons of volume but there is zero issue with fuel slosh/starvation- the fuel gauge is nice and steady.

If you go this route, order the cell with the fuel level sender that you need- I did not, thinking that I could add a sender later, but the fill plate was not drilled for a sender- so in order to add one I had to drill the fill plate- a pain.

Dave
    Gen III Coupe #17

Fuel Safe
    ED118A
    Enduro Racing Cell, 18 gal.
    Includes Enduro Molded Bladder, Steel Container,
    SF6X10E-A fill plate, and Foam Baffling.
    28.00" L x 17.125" W x 9.875" H
    -6 PICKUP PLUMBED TO CENTER REAR
    -6 RETURN
    -6 VENT

15% off with 'RACEDAY' discount code last February.

2. Likes Chopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,
    I am planning on putting a fuel cell in my coupe as well and wanted to get your thoughts on the topic?

Thanks,
    Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burchfieldb View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I am planning on putting a fuel cell in my coupe as well and wanted to get your thoughts on the topic?

Thanks,
    Brent
    Hi Brent,

Anything in particular?

I've not had any issues with the cell or setup over many miles and track events.

A cell is the way to go over the OEM Mustang tank to take car of fuel slosh and safety- there is no crumple zone in the rear of these cars and I can guess what would happen to the OEM tank if rear-ended or hit a wall with it.

As I said previously I do think that I'd try the Fuel Safe Challenge Car cell- and use the filler neck instead of the trap door that I had to install on my deck floor. In a couple of years I'll do it.

Dave
    Gen III Coupe #17

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. My plan is to use the Fuel Safe one and I had the same concerns of reinventing the Pinto. Not worth the risk!