Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: hot rod owners in Texas - Can you share who you have insurance with?

Post Thanks / Like

hot rod owners in Texas - Can you share who you have insurance with?

Hey guys - trying to line up insurance so I can get this thing on the road and the only options (Hagerty and NCM want about $900/yr) I have come up with so far seem a little high . Was hoping my present carrier -Safeco would add it on to my other cars but no dice on kit cars. Thanks!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm with State Farm with a value of $45,000.00.
    Liability is the standard 100/300-K that we have on all of our vehicles.
    Why I went with them is because anyone within my household can drive the car as long as I give them my permission.
    This allows my son the ability to the car that he helped build.
    It costs me $60.00 per month or $720.00 per year.

Hope This Helps & Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-31-2021 at 08:10 PM.

3. Thanks sread thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    mine was pretty cheap through Robbin. Very easy and highly recommended

Robbin R Terry

POB 229
    Auburn, IL 62615
    www.midwestclassicins.com
    Office - 217-438-6235
    Fax – 217-438-3347

Hours 8:00am – 4:30pm CST
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

5. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using Robbin with Midwest also for about $540/year.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

7. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grundy World Wide

9. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Texas with Hagerty, $834/year for $45K value. Hagerty pretty much bases it on value and deductible. I think I have $2500 deductible on everything. I would imagine if yours is a new build your value is much higher than mine.

When I did add mine I had to send in proof of HPDE experience. The rep told me they had lots of claims against Cobras due to high performance and inexperienced drivers.
    MK2 Roadster - 347 - Boss 302 Crate 4x2 Weber 44 IDFs

11. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also with Hagerty. $50k stated replacement value. Somewhere near $930 / year.
    and.. also had to provide HPDE proof.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    I'm using Robbin with Midwest also for about $540/year.
    Do you recall how the state has titled your car? specifically what year model it is titled as...It makes a big difference.
    this is a direct cut/past from the latest revision of the Texas assembled vehicle manual:

The vehicle make must display as ASVE or HMDE (if an assembled trailer), and the year
    will be the year the vehicle was assembled. If the vehicle is constructed from an original
    body, the year and make will be the established year and make of the vehicle and will
    reflect the RECONSTRUCTED remark. If the vehicle resembles a prior model year
    vehicle, the Replica year and make of the vehicle it resembles may be added to the vehicle
    record. If the applicant is applying for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod license plates, the
    REPLICA brand is required if the vehicle is a replica.

The manual seems to be pretty clear it should be titled as a current year although listed as a 33 replica , although the reality is I think it is just luck of the draw on which clerks desk it lands on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sread View Post
    Do you recall how the state has titled your car? specifically what year model it is titled as...It makes a big difference.
    this is a direct cut/past from the latest revision of the Texas assembled vehicle manual:

The vehicle make must display as ASVE or HMDE (if an assembled trailer), and the year
    will be the year the vehicle was assembled. If the vehicle is constructed from an original
    body, the year and make will be the established year and make of the vehicle and will
    vehicle, the Replica year and make of the vehicle it resembles may be added to the vehicle
    record. If the applicant is applying for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod license plates, the

The manual seems to be pretty clear it should be titled as a current year although listed as a 33 replica , although the reality is I think it is just luck of the draw on which clerks desk it lands on.
    Mine is registered as 2021, make is "ASVE" with a model of "RDS" although I forget what that means (if I ever knew). The very final round of paperwork changed the make and model to this, and at that point I didn't care! Note that the Replica part disappeared in the end, although I had it on the application forms. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

15. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK - that sounds about right. The insurance guy always asks and I tell them what the ASVM says but you never really know until you get the final title. Robin with Midwest gave me a couple of options that seem pretty reasonable so I should be good to go. Really just want to get coverage so I can get a temp tag and continue with the fuel tuning, brake bias, and all the ops checks without getting busted by Johnny Law. When I moved out here 20 years ago it was out in the country and you really didn't have to worry much about that, but not anymore... now its non stop traffic and plenty of police presence. Its killing me not to be able get out and get some seat time in this thing.

17. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sread View Post

I'm not registered yet. I originaly insured it as a project but it still had full coverage. At go cart stage I was almost $40,000 in, so I didn't want to chance something happening. I've read too many horror stories about garage fire and other accidents.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine through Hagerty with a value of 50k. I was asked how much power it had and then interviewed on my experience with high performance vehicles. I found that very odd but reading this post it may be the norm. Just started my second year with them and no increase in cost. $800.00 per year

Post Thanks / Like
    Robbin with Midwest hooked me up! Just over $400 annually - that's hard to beat. Picked up my temp tag today: I can finally get out and do a real test drive!

21. Likes RoadRacer liked this post