Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22

Thread: topherchrisb's project "Mako" Sub, Powder Coat, Lights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Body Lighting fitment

There are a couple of pieces I want to position with the body on. The main three right now are the coolant expansion tank, the cool guy fan controller, and the tilton brake/clutch reservoirs. I dropped the body down a bit and decided to do some light fitting before I put it on completely. That'd allow me to size up and finish weather packs for the lights.

I still need to take the bezels off for the rears and powder coat them but getting the placement down. They aren't exact with the shape of the body... but with the pre-drilled holes not much room for interpretation. I'm assuming a body guy will want to do the massaging there when it's time.

Now it was time for me to start working on the front turn signals. I got a set of jeep halo turn signals to match the look of the halo headlights. The have a smoke lens over them too which I like. I needed to figure out how to make them fit to my application though. Here you can see I had to un-soldiered the wiring in order to get it all taken apart. I had the one supplied in the kit torn apart too so I could try to create a plan. It ended up being fairly straight forward. Cut the square mounting plate to my needed round shape, re-soldier the connections, drill some holes in the matching mount positions, epoxy some machine screws, re-assemble with black sealant for weather proofing.

Finished turn signal

And here you can see the turn signal in place. I also fitted the headlights... one I had finished powder coating the trimmings black by this point.

The turn signal does look a little goofy from the side as it has a pretty deep profile. I've started designing a bezel for them which should be a softer transition and fit the curves of the body molding better. This is my first CAD/3D printer project so plenty to learn here too.

Last edited by topherchrisb; 05-05-2024 at 01:42 PM.
    MK4 #10255 project: "Mako"
    Coyote Gen 3, TKX, IRS, Wilwood brakes, power steering
    Order date: 6/24/21, Received date: 1/12/22, First Gocart date: TBD, Registration date: TBD
    Build thread

2. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post