Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Steve’s 818C/E build in Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Steve’s 818C/E build in Canada

Hi guys,

So big day tomorrow, I am picking up my kit from Blaine WA. Have to meet Steward tomorrow around noon. I have rented a Uhaul truck and trailer to get it. Got my Covid test kit to re enter Canada and paperwork for the border. Exciting times.

My plan is to make this an electric car…just because I can. My day job is data acquisition and instrumentation so I’m more comfortable with electric stuff anyway.

I cleaned out the one side of the garage today…probably not going to be enough. Space is definitely going to be a challenge for me. My garage is not big and there are lots of things in the way. Will see how things go.

Figured now I can start my build thread. I am sure as things go I will be asking you guys lots of questions. I’m excited and nervous to start this. Hopefully my kids will enjoy this project along with me.

2. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Steve! Welcome to the party!

I remember being excited when my kit arrived...and needing to take a few deep breaths when I saw the actual kit sitting in my garage for the first time. I too am in a small garage with only one dedicated space for the project. Organization will be your friend, as will a chassis dolly and (later) wheel dollies to move things around when necessary.

Good Luck!
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on your 818! I too am struggling with a lack of space in my garage. I’m trying to make the best of it, rearranging and purging junk. I actually haven’t even started any assembly yet.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaltal View Post
    Hi guys,

So big day tomorrow, I am picking up my kit from Blaine WA. Have to meet Steward tomorrow around noon. I have rented a Uhaul truck and trailer to get it. Got my Covid test kit to re enter Canada and paperwork for the border. Exciting times.

My plan is to make this an electric car…just because I can. My day job is data acquisition and instrumentation so I’m more comfortable with electric stuff anyway.

I cleaned out the one side of the garage today…probably not going to be enough. Space is definitely going to be a challenge for me. My garage is not big and there are lots of things in the way. Will see how things go.

Figured now I can start my build thread. I am sure as things go I will be asking you guys lots of questions. I’m excited and nervous to start this. Hopefully my kids will enjoy this project along with me.
    Excited to see what you come up with. What parts are you going to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 2004 Impreza TS Wagon that over the summer we tore apart. Was a great deal and ran pretty smooth. Everything looks to be in good order. As I am planning to use an electric motor I will get to sell the engine of the Impreza. I bought the cells to make up the battery pack and am waiting before buying the rest of the electric stuff. Figure there is a bit of a new booming industry in the DIY EV sector and maybe when it is time for the motor installation a new cool motor will be available. As of right now I am planning on the Netgain Hyper 9 motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_6665.jpg IMG_6664.jpg

Picking up the kit from the awesome Stewart Transportation driver.

Taking this through the border was interesting. Took 20 mins and a bunch more money but finally got it home.

tip: Don't use the uhaul transportation trailer without dunnage. Luckily a friendly cobra buyer whos car was on the same truck gave me some. The trailer lips meant the fibre glass would rest on them without the dunnage.
    Last edited by Kaltal; 01-19-2022 at 08:07 PM.

8. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome! - Super curious where youre located, I'm in Kelowna and have been debating doing an electric 818 for a long time. Would love to see one!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 2004 Impreza TS Wagon that over the summer we tore apart. Was a great deal and ran pretty smooth. Everything looks to be in good order. As I am planning to use an electric motor I will get to sell the engine of the Impreza. I bought the cells to make up the battery pack and am waiting before buying the rest of the electric stuff. Figure there is a bit of a new booming industry in the DIY EV sector and maybe when it is time for the motor installation a new cool motor will be available. As of right now I am planning on the Netgain Hyper 9 motor.
    Definitely look at using an OEM system that uses brushless motors (like a leaf drive unit stack). They are MUCH better than series wound motors in almost every single way!

Post Thanks / Like
    All the ac induction motors are brushless I believe. The one I am looking at for sure is. Problem with oem ones is they are all used, including the batteries. I want new stuff that I know the history of. I did hear Chevy were coming out with an electric crate engine, but have heard no more about it. That would be ideal to get something from a big player like that. One I can “trust”. Will see when the time comes to install the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmacist View Post
    Looks awesome! - Super curious where youre located, I'm in Kelowna and have been debating doing an electric 818 for a long time. Would love to see one!
    I’m down in Lower mainland. In surrey.

13. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Kaltal
    Welcome to the Factory Five family, I'm just getting caught up on some posts here and noticed yours.
    I took delivery of my '33 from FFR in fall 2018, same way you did (except I used the 6 x 12 trailer with ramp). Just painted earlier this year....
    I'm in North Vancouver so really just a short drive away. If you need help with anything, just shout.
    Also, I'm an Electrical Engineer and work in the electrification space (Battery chargers) so will be very interested in your electrification journey (or even help if you'd like).

Cheers
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

15. Likes Kaltal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Hey Kaltal
    Welcome to the Factory Five family, I'm just getting caught up on some posts here and noticed yours.
    I took delivery of my '33 from FFR in fall 2018, same way you did (except I used the 6 x 12 trailer with ramp). Just painted earlier this year....
    I'm in North Vancouver so really just a short drive away. If you need help with anything, just shout.
    Also, I'm an Electrical Engineer and work in the electrification space (Battery chargers) so will be very interested in your electrification journey (or even help if you'd like).

Cheers
    Steve
    Wow, that would be most appreciated. Would love to sit down and have a chat. I will DM you and we can arrange something.

17. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All the ac induction motors are brushless I believe. The one I am looking at for sure is. Problem with oem ones is they are all used, including the batteries. I want new stuff that I know the history of. I did hear Chevy were coming out with an electric crate engine, but have heard no more about it. That would be ideal to get something from a big player like that. One I can “trust”. Will see when the time comes to install the motor.
    IMO having used parts with numerous hours of testing is better than new parts. ACIM is brushless as you say meaning no commutator wear and low maintenance. I think if your budget allows it new is great but definitely look into OEM parts (it will save you a bunch of money!) with a good amount of research even used batteries have plenty of life left on them.

Excited to see what you come up with!