Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Roadster Gas and Strut Options for Trunk

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Gas and Strut Options for Trunk

I have been considering the gas and strut kit for my trunk and found a few options from FFR as well as Mike & Russ (which both look great) even the breeze hidden hinges, but I don’t think these come with struts.
    I have never read any complaints about any of these kits, but wondering how they compare with the FFR version (16590 - Trunk Gas Strut Kit).

Are they all about the same?
    Does one prevent sag or distortion in the fiberglass better?
    Any advice on something I should know before making a choice?

Thanks for the help!

2. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Important to understand which Roadster version your have. Up through Mk3, they used trunk external hinges. The Mk4 introduced hidden trunk hinges. The current Factory Five strut kit is made for this version and not for earlier ones. Mike Everson still sells a version for external hinges. I've used it and it's "OK." But I'd honestly probably recommend a prop rod. The current Mk4 internal version works very well and has the proper geometry that it's not putting any strain on the lid or hinges when closed.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-18-2022 at 10:01 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Thanks AgileYeti thanked for this post
    Likes Ted G, AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As edwardb said if you have a Mk4 the latest FFR design with the “bayonet” style hinges works best. The add on retrofit offerings tend to want to push the lid.

Jeff

6. Thanks AgileYeti thanked for this post
    Likes Ted G, AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody know if these work with the Breeze cockpit Cubby in a Mk4? Seem to recall that interfered with the mounting of the struts….

8. Likes AgileYeti liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Cobra View Post
    Anybody know if these work with the Breeze cockpit Cubby in a Mk4? Seem to recall that interfered with the mounting of the struts….
    Just gotta make a couple of holes in the cubby divider for the struts, no problem.

10. Likes Ted G, AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Thanks, edwardb & Jeff! Sorry I forgot to mention this would be for the MK4. I appreciate the answers for it and prev versions. Sounds like the FFR strut might serve me best.

You guys rock!

12. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the current FFR trunk hinges and struts with the Breeze cubby mod. It does work, but there are some drawbacks:
    - If you have the cubby you need to cut large holes in the back wall as the struts pivot up when open and down when closed. This can also cause things stored in the cubby to get pinched when the lid is closed. The large holes allow moisture to be pushed through from the trunk when driving in rain and cold air when driving with a top in chilly weather.

- The struts interfere somewhat with storage, both in the trunk and cubby area.
    - If the struts are undersized they will fail to hold the trunk open, or if they are oversized they'll cause an excessive gap in the trunk lid at the back deck of the body.

I'm not saying they aren't a good option for most, but I'm not convinced it's better than just using a good old-fashion prop rod and hidden hinges for my uses.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

14. Thanks NC Cobra thanked for this post
    Likes AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    I have the current FFR trunk hinges and struts with the Breeze cubby mod. It does work, but there are some drawbacks:
    - If you have the cubby you need to cut large holes in the back wall as the struts pivot up when open and down when closed. This can also cause things stored in the cubby to get pinched when the lid is closed. The large holes allow moisture to be pushed through from the trunk when driving in rain and cold air when driving with a top in chilly weather.

- The struts interfere somewhat with storage, both in the trunk and cubby area.
    - If the struts are undersized they will fail to hold the trunk open, or if they are oversized they'll cause an excessive gap in the trunk lid at the back deck of the body.

I'm not saying they aren't a good option for most, but I'm not convinced it's better than just using a good old-fashion prop rod and hidden hinges for my uses.
    Thanks for input, GTBradley! Of course, I read this right after emailing Mike to add the strut kit to my order; lol he's going to kill me. I do plan to add the breeze cubby mod to my trunk so that is definitely something I am glad to know. Thanks for the great build thread! I was able to find images of what you are talking about on the cubby and the holes you had to make. I guess it is unrealistic of me to think the weatherstripping around the trunk lid and silicone on panels is enough to keep everything out, huh. I was hoping, to edwardb's point, the FFR kit brackets mounted by them would have optimal geometry and be my best chance at removing using error.
    Last edited by AgileYeti; 01-18-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends on your use of the car. The strut kit is very good if what you want is an easy way to hold the trunk lid open, but it is a minor inconvenience for storage on longer trips (but then again, so are the inside versus outside hinges). I suppose the air and moisture infiltration could be addressed by sealing the trunk better in the first place, but that's turning out to be a more difficult job for me. Good luck whatever you do.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

17. Likes AgileYeti liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Viking aka Oystein View Post
    Just gotta make a couple of holes in the cubby divider for the struts, no problem.
    yep what Oystein said, I made them slots as there is some vertical movement in the hinge movement, this is the FFR setup on a MKIV

IMG_3634-scaled.jpg
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

19. Thanks NC Cobra thanked for this post
    Likes AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    It really depends on your use of the car. The strut kit is very good if what you want is an easy way to hold the trunk lid open, but it is a minor inconvenience for storage on longer trips (but then again, so are the inside versus outside hinges). I suppose the air and moisture infiltration could be addressed by sealing the trunk better in the first place, but that's turning out to be a more difficult job for me. Good luck whatever you do.
    Thanks, GTBradley! Also, gotta say I love the layout of your cubby from the LED lights/ports to the dog harness anchor. I will definitely implement some of those ideas! Thanks for the inspiration and feedback on the trunk.

21. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome and say hello to Branson for me, been there a few times and flew over it nightly between Little Rock and KC back when I was freight pilot.
    Bradley

23. Likes AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a different experience on this topic:

I got the struts last winter. The strut kit came with 40 lb. cylinders. They wouldn't keep the trunk up - it would only stay about 12 inches open rather than all the way. So the vendor sent me 50 lb struts. We both thought that would solve the problem and I could not have asked for better customer service. Well, they keep the trunk lid appropriately open, but they push the lid "back" when it's closed. Rather than go back to the vendor another time, I disconnected them. Maybe I screwed up on the installation, but who knows. I might see if anybody makes 45 lb struts.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    That is strange Al because I get by with 20 lbs struts. FFR sent hood struts instead of the 25 lbs struts for the trunk, but I get it to work by tightening the nuts at the pivot points.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Al, that sounds like my kit. I would have gladly refunded you money if they did not work for you. I would try the trick someone talked about in here. Just tighten up the pivot bolts a bit and see if that helps. The new FFR hinges work best for the lift supports. I highly recommend it over my kit. Might require buying the new hinge arms from FFR.
    Mike

27. Thanks Al_C, AgileYeti thanked for this post
    Likes NC Cobra, AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Al, that sounds like my kit. I would have gladly refunded you money if they did not work for you. I would try the trick someone talked about in here. Just tighten up the pivot bolts a bit and see if that helps. The new FFR hinges work best for the lift supports. I highly recommend it over my kit. Might require buying the new hinge arms from FFR.
    Mike
    You already provided new struts. I can't ask you to keep sending me stuff. I will try tightening the bolts on the hinges and see what happens. Thanks for your input!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with GTBradley. I went to 20lb struts because the heavy ones were forcing the lid up when closed. Trial & error to get the right amount of drag on the nuts & bolts is the key
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed Peeker and I just discovered that the struts we use for the trunk are different. It looks like the same manufacturer, but not only is the pressure different -his are 40# and mine are 20#- but his are about 1½" shorter than mine. He's also using a different hinge.
    Mine: 66438960650__9A005DEC-7C6B-4B3F-8BF5-B75CF668AB21.jpeg Ed's:66438972883__84925F59-1728-49AE-818F-5A6266F0B772.jpeg

From the looks of things, mine appear to have more leverage at full extension and his would have more authority when opening. I do have to assist opening mine, unlike the hood where it tends to open itself.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-20-2022 at 01:58 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done cars with both the FFR hinge & strut system and Mike's add on struts. The geometry is totally different between them. With the FFR design when the lid is closed there is a straight line between both ends of the strut and the hinge pivot; no upward pressure is applied until the lid is raised a couple of inches at which point the end of the strut attached to the hinge arm goes over center and keeps it raised. With Mike's there is always upward pressure being applied to the lid, whether it is open or closed. If the lid is adjusted for fit without the struts it will often come out of adjustment when they are connected and their pressure wants to raise the lid. This can usually be eliminated by readjusting the hinges with the struts connected and their pressure acting against the hinge arms.

Jeff

32. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Likes Al_C, AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like FFR designed out the upward pressure with my hinge style. Ed's hinges, which were from the FFR kit also, were from a few hundred serial numbers before mine.
    Bradley

34. Likes Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am new to the forum, and also I did not know about the FFR kit. So I ended up designing mine from basic engineering principles, and the funny thing is I used 40 pound struts, with great results - works just fine

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of these on my MR2 Turbo with heavy steel engine lid and was thinking of adapting to my MK2.

https://www.huxracing.com/online-sto...ort-p122557242
    FFR3490 - MK2 Roadster: Yellow with black stripes, mildly built 5.0 with many upgrades/updates to come.

See my build here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...6mVHNS3FsRV76S

37. Thanks NC Cobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrmotorsports55 View Post
    I have one of these on my MR2 Turbo with heavy steel engine lid and was thinking of adapting to my MK2.

https://www.huxracing.com/online-sto...ort-p122557242
    Interesting design. Please let us know how it works.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Cobra View Post
    Interesting design. Please let us know how it works.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Will do. My MR2 is currently at the body shop getting full repaint, so waiting for it to come back so I can borrow that part for measurements.

Jason
    FFR3490 - MK2 Roadster: Yellow with black stripes, mildly built 5.0 with many upgrades/updates to come.

See my build here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...6mVHNS3FsRV76S

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Michael Everson,
    I'm reading this thread and it sounds like you sell the trunk strut kit for a MK3.1 with outside hinges? If that's correct, Id like more info on it.
    David
    312-723-8066

Post Thanks / Like
    Posted this on the Factory Five Builder FB page as well, but no answers yet so hoping someone on the forum knows. I want to buy the trunk gas strut kit for my 2019 MK4 Roadster (7/23/2019 listed on the MCO). On the base kit, this is a $49 option (#16808), and on the complete kit this is a $99 option (#16590). Does anyone know the difference between these two FFR part numbers? Neither part shows up on factoryfiveparts.com shop. Only reference I can find is on the kit configuration pages. I finally got a hold of someone at FFR and they told me I need #16808, and said #16590 is for a "different car" so I went ahead and ordered #16808. Strange since most folks on this thread mention #16590, and that is a listed option on the MK4 complete kit which is what I have. Despite numerous emails back and forth, I still don't have clarity on what is different about these 2 kits. Anybody want to enlighten me? Just don't want a surprise when I get the strut kit in and realize it is missing hinges or something since the #16808 kit was cheaper by $50.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    The 16808 kit is sold out. I was thinking of piecing it together with my own components. Are they 10mm ball studs? Does anyone know the details on the struts? Length? Lbs? Stroke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Long story short, I was given two sets of the mounting hardware with one set of struts. The studs measure 9.9mm. I can ship you the hardware if you want, just PM me
    JJ
    Mk 4 complete kit w/IRS delivered (mostly) 10-31-22. BPE 347FI w/TXK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who has installed the FFR 16808 kit on a MKIV. The bracket that gets riveted to the front of the trunk looks like it will interfere with the shoulder belts. Does anyone have photos of a full completed MKIV 16808 install?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erniek70 View Post
    Who has installed the FFR 16808 kit on a MKIV. The bracket that gets riveted to the front of the trunk looks like it will interfere with the shoulder belts. Does anyone have photos of a full completed MKIV 16808 install?
    I’ve installed several and do them like this. The slight angle of the struts doesn’t affect their operation.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I’ve installed several and do them like this. The slight angle of the struts doesn’t affect their operation.

Jeff
    Thanks for the links, Jeff. The links to Shutterfly do not seem to work for me. Just takes me to a blank screen....I do not know my way around Shutterfly to find your pics. Sorry to be a pain.

Did you mount them inboard of the shoulder belts? Did you mount them on the inboard side of the trunk hinges (instead outboard per FFR details)? Can you read the SUSPA model number on the strut? I have been trying to create my own kit, since everything is on back order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shutterfly Share Sites was shut down a year ago. Is that how I would have viewed them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FYI, Mike no longer sells the strut kit for the earlier Roadsters. I spoke to him last week wanting to order a kit for an MK3 and he told me he no longer sells them.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the links, Jeff. The links to Shutterfly do not seem to work for me. Just takes me to a blank screen....I do not know my way around Shutterfly to find your pics. Sorry to be a pain.

Did you mount them inboard of the shoulder belts? Did you mount them on the inboard side of the trunk hinges (instead outboard per FFR details)? Can you read the SUSPA model number on the strut? I have been trying to create my own kit, since everything is on back order.
    You don’t need any links, just look at the photo I posted. The ball on the chassis is between the two belts on each side and the ball on the hinge arm is to the outside. The gas cylinders are #C16-02622 and are 28 pounds but keep in mind that if your homemade setup isn’t dimensionally the same the leverage factor will change and that number and pressure may not work.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea why I cannot see your pics in the posts.Screenshot 2024-03-23 110922.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea why I cannot see your pics in the posts.Screenshot 2024-03-23 110922.jpg
    The photo is not in any of those links; they're all ancient! It's posted directly to post #30. I can see it and just reloaded it again in that reply as well as below:

Jeff