Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Hot Rod Column Connector

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hot Rod Column Connector

Just getting started on wiring, and as I look at each circuit, I'm reviewing all diagrams vs what I see on my wires and connectors, to get as much understanding as possible and avoid mistakes.

While the manual says to simply plug the steering column into the chassis harness plug, I did a comparison of the wire labels and descriptions between the harness manual and the IDIDIT instructions. The attached diagram shows what I found. Three of them seem to conflict (J, K & L). Might these have been pinned wrong?
    column connector.jpg

I also put together this diagram based on what I found on IDIDIT's site. The diagram there had too many crossing wires to really visualize easily. This helped me to understand a little better.
    IDIDIT Diagram.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    It's difficult to understand what goes on inside the column, tried for awhile and didn't come up with a meaningful diagram. What I can tell you is that if you follow the directions in BOTH the wiring harness manual and the hot rod manual you'll come out with a working system - in particular make sure you cut the wires that are detailed in the hot rod manual.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Steve. It's almost for sure correct as you received. I had some of the same questions with the Ididit column and RF harness with my truck build. It worked as received. Agree also about either dieting or capping the wires in the harness per the manual. The Hot Rod connector is a duplicate of other wires in the harness used for other models. So they're live and need to be out of the picture.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to both of you. I did see how the manual says to cut and cap the pink and gray wires at the dash harness, probably because the column takes care of those functions, and that the column removes the need for horn and hazard switches that are shown in the harness schematic. I'll leave it alone and follow the manual. The one that looked really odd was the mismatch on the right front signal. I guess if that light doesn't work I have one place I know to check.

6. Likes FF33rod liked this post