Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 33 Hot Rod - Some Help Needed

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod - Some Help Needed

Hi Everyone,

I'm scoping out an EV 33 Hot Rod for a challenge, and just to learn something new from IC engine builds I've done before. In general I'm planning to use a transverse motor in the rear with batteries up front. It's definitely doable in theory but motor feasibility is proving difficult to work out due to lack of available details about the IRS geometry. I've contacted FFR for input but they're very busy and not sure when they'll be able to have an engineer look at the options I proposed - and they don't provide CAD models of course. I'm confident I can do the design myself but without the actual car yet or CAD files I've hit a wall. I've searched hours for every image I can find that might allow for some rough scaling but I haven't found enough info to do what I need. A friend has a MK4 Roadster under build that I've been able to get up under which helped, but it's different enough from the 33 to still limit progress.

I have plenty of time still but I need to make a decision whether to go with IRS or not before they start the production in a few months. I have a fallback option of using a complete Model 3 rear subframe with suspension but I'd prefer to leverage the FFR IRS setup. I was wondering if anyone out there has a Gen2 33 with IRS under build that would be so kind to take some detailed images with scaling features so I could piece together a CAD model close enough for doing feasibility checks. Or even better but less likely I'm sure, have one I could come check out. I'm in the Sacramento CA area.

If anyone is willing/able to help I can provide more details later.

Thanks!!
    Brad.
    Last edited by BradC; 04-16-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brad, welcome to the madness.

I have a Gen 1 Hot Rod with the 2015 Mustang IRS presently under construction. As far as I know, the Gen 2 HR uses the same IRS parts and the chassis is the same in that area. If you fancy a road trip down the I-5, you're welcome to come down to Simi Valley and take all the measurements and photos you want. I can even put the car up on the lift if that will help.

Send me a PM if you are interested and we'll set up a visit.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend who has a Tesla Model S rear cradle. That would be the motor, and suspension. When we eye balled it, it looked like it could be made to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith. Thanks for the reply and offer to look yours over! That's a bit of a hike but I'll see if I can work it out at some point. I wasn't sure if the Gen1 and 2 were exactly the same there but I did know it was close. These are the images I was going off of where there did appear to be some slight differences. Either way, looking over a Gen1 would be good for fit check.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    I have a friend who has a Tesla Model S rear cradle. That would be the motor, and suspension. When we eye balled it, it looked like it could be made to fit.
    From my checking the S complete rear sub would be too wide (assuming I use rear fenders on the 33). It has a track width of 66.5". The Model 3 has a 62.5" track. The 33 calls for 60". It seemed like the Model 3 could be compensated for with wheel backspace but the S seemed to be too much. That said, I haven't actually measured the two myself so I should probably go do that. There's a dismantler local here that has them. -- Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j33ptj View Post
    Thanks RJ. Can't believe I never found that in my searching. That's hilarious trying the car out in a small warehouse! The EV components have come a long way since 2010 but that's a great comparison point. If they could do it then it should be all that much better now.

8. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just confirming that gen 1 and gen 2 IRS details are the same. The only difference is that the gen 2 chassis has 2 mounting points for the suspension - a high and a low. Shouldn't be a factor for what you're trying to do.
    Watching with great interest! I'm in the electrification industry.....

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Just confirming that gen 1 and gen 2 IRS details are the same. The only difference is that the gen 2 chassis has 2 mounting points for the suspension - a high and a low. Shouldn't be a factor for what you're trying to do.
    Watching with great interest! I'm in the electrification industry.....

Steve
    Good to know - thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly enough I got an email from a FFR engineer today asking for a few more details about what I was considering so he could take a look at it when he gets a chance. Looking forward to seeing what he thinks. I replied with the info and also asked if there's any way they could send me the location details for the main components like output shaft centerline and swing arm pivot locations. I know they can't provide CAD details but maybe they will be open to stripped down details like that. We'll see!

12. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a guy building an electric 33 hotrod truck:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Truck-Rebecca

Maybe you can share ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j33ptj View Post
    There is a guy building an electric 33 hotrod truck:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Truck-Rebecca

Maybe you can share ideas!
    Thanks! I was watching that one already too. Different approach with the motor than what I'm looking at but it will be interesting to see how it comes out..
    Last edited by BradC; 04-16-2022 at 05:49 PM.

15. Likes j33ptj liked this post