BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Bird65 gen 1 project

Post Thanks / Like

Bird65 gen 1 project

New member from Ontario, Canada..
    Will be reporting on my progress with repair and requests for assistance as we move forward with our Type 65 Coupe.

Post Thanks / Like

Bird65 gen 1 project

This Type 65 Coupe project was started in 2008 and completed in 2020 and only driven seldom and suffered collision damage in 2021.
    Damage was mainly to the body panels which will require time consuming repair.
    At this time we are still considering using a new front clip from a Gen 3 or at least using the Aero Front bumper modification.
    Only minor frame damage appears to be the slight bending of the front clip mounting arms.. and the driver's side upper control arm.. the rest of the frame has measured out true.. a testament to the way Factory Five builds them.
    The previous owner reports it is Gen 2 frame and was built with the addition of the centre roof bar, side impact bars on both sides, seat mounts and centre upper rear axle mount.
    Engine; GM factory crate LS2 6.0 L engine with LS3 rectangular port heads and matching intake and performance cam shaft
    Fuel injection
    Transmission Tremec 5 spd
    Ford 9" locking differential with modified FFR 3 Link
    Wilwood brakes
    Custom built Hydra boost brakes
    Fuel cell
    Fire suppression system
    Air Conditioning / heater/ defrost
    Windshield wipers
    Racing seats with Simpson harness
    Side window kit

Will be searching out some parts
    Last edited by BIRD65GT; 02-06-2022 at 04:43 PM.

3. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIRD65GT View Post
    New member from Ontario, Canada..
    Will be reporting on my progress with repair and requests for assistance as we move forward with our Type 65 Coupe.
    Where the pics?
    MK4 #11012 picked up 04/16/24
    351W, 3 link, single roll bar
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Will be posting shortly

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried to post some pictures but with no luck.
    Live in a rural area and internet can be quite sketchy.. Should be better after the 10'th of Feb as data restrictions by provider will change.
    When internet allows will post before and after pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    The before picture:: just finished August 2020IMG_0561 (1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    don't know what went wrong with picture post ... upside down presentation.. will do more research

Post Thanks / Like
    will try again..IMG_0561 (2).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    still the same issue... any ideas? I had rotated the picture and saved a copy but seems to upload in the upside down presentation... any ideas what is wrong or what I am doing wrong... am not that computer smart...got the picture from my saved files on my computer..

Post Thanks / Like
    just searched the forum regarding .. how to post pictures.. could not find and answer to the upside picture issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIRD65GT View Post
    still the same issue... any ideas? I had rotated the picture and saved a copy but seems to upload in the upside down presentation... any ideas what is wrong or what I am doing wrong... am not that computer smart...got the picture from my saved files on my computer..
    I use a photo hosting site and then link pics from that site to my posts on various forums.
    Here's yours, click for full size...
    factory-five-gen1.jpg

13. Thanks BIRD65GT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as using a gen3 front clip on the gen1 body, or even the "R" aero improvements, I doubt they will fit, my understanding is that FFR changed all the dimensions on the Gen3 body.

Now, they may be able to make a new front clip for you from their old molds.

Post Thanks / Like
    will try again..IMG_E2896.JPG... and success of sorts .. it is in a proper orientation.. albeit it is an edited picture of a picture.. (quality of photo is some compromised)
    (I feel better as it drives me nuts when you come upon upside pictures on a platform.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the help.. appreciate it.. managed as you will see in a later post to have posted a picture in a proper orientation.
    ( will check with my computer savvy children to educate me of the hosting site.)
    Thanks again.. Cheers Rudy

Post Thanks / Like

front clip issue

Dan at FFR let me know that there is a slim and expensive "possibility" of making a front clip to meet our needs... always comes down to time and money .
    My son (also a Dan) feels we may be better to repair the front clip and add/integrate the aero flow bumper they make and that is readily available.
    I will post pictures of the front clip as it is and the extensive repairs required.. only parts not being produced are the headlight covers.
    My son manages a body shop and is quite adept to perform the fiberglass repair and then paint the car. Over the years he has help me keep the costs down on the cars I have restored.. The price of paint etc has skyrocketed as well as the labor costs. Pretty hard to find a $2000 complete paint job that I remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures of the front clip and work to be done. Everywhere there is black tape are areas requiring repair and other spots are fairly obvious.IMG_2900.jpgIMG_2901.jpgIMG_2902.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    when we purchased the car the owner gave us his body assembly jig that will be helpful if making the fiberglass repairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had to turn my head sideways to look at the pics, got to get a 5-year old to show you how to do it.
    That's what I did...
    But, looks readily repairable for anyone who does much fiberglass repair work.

Post Thanks / Like
    yah, got a 5 year old grandchild that could bail me out and keep forum members from hurting their necks and having to go to the chiropractor

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have factory specs for dimensions of Gen1 and/or Gen 2 body.. would like to compare to Gen3 specs which are on their website... hopeful will help make decisions
    to determine how I will proceed with repairs and possible modifications>

Post Thanks / Like
    The aero bumper will definitely fit a gen 1 or 2 coupe. This picture on FFR's site is of a gen 2:
    krueger-coupe-nose__26488.1489500822 (1).jpg

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

24. Thanks BIRD65GT thanked for this post