BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Firewall/Steering Shaft Flange alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Firewall/Steering Shaft Flange alignment

I’m trying to kick up my firewall panels and the frame is slightly inside the steering shaft opening. The flange and steering column are back ordered so I can’t test whether it matters.

Does anyone know? I could move the firewall over a little more but it’s already slightly off center. So I’d rather not make that worse.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    33’ Hot Rod - Gen 2. BluePrint Engine Small Block Chevy 383, carbureted, 700R4 automatic transmission

Post Thanks / Like
    The raised edge of the steering shaft bulkhead bearing has a smaller OD than the hole in the footbox panel, but it is right up against the square tube when installed in the stock position. I don't follow what you are trying to do, but I suggest that you keep the bearing in the same location relative to the chassis. Otherwise, you are changing the angle of the steering shaft joints and some of them are already at the limit - depending on which engine / steering shaft setup you have.

HTH, Keith HR #894

20220213_162235.jpg Sorry about the photo orientation, not sure what happened...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with progmgr1 above. It should work exactly as laid out by FFR. The bearing is close to the frame tube but all will fit and I wouldn't go about changing the position unless you have a unique engine setup requiring it. With all the joints and there angles to make it work it sometimes boggles my mind that it actually works!