FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Over riders without dropping fuel tank

Post Thanks / Like

Over riders without dropping fuel tank

So I had another post about doing the Kleiner Mod with the drop trunk. I just realized I am doing over riders and not quick jacks. From what I can see, there is no way to apply that mod with what I have. Looks like I have to drop the gas tank to insert the bolts from the back. I am open to other possibilities. Is it possible to insert the bolts now and still have the body fit over the bolts when I install the body later?

BTW, I love the extra space in the trunk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Legendary; 02-04-2024 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kliener Mod works for Over-Riders too. It's just a little more challenging to get the nuts on, but definitely easier than dropping the tank.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

3. Thanks Legendary thanked for this post
    Likes Legendary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do my coupler mod. Drill the overrider holes to 15/32”, install the all thread, spacers, etc. just as you would for quick jacks then slide the overriders on. It takes some nimble fingers—-and usually no small amount of swearing—-but you can then install nuts from the hollow side of the overriders. Done it dozens of times

Jeff

5. Thanks Legendary thanked for this post
    Likes Legendary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks. Didn't think that would work. Since it's been done before I will definitely try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the hardware today from Lowe's and Home Depot. Total cost was $25.00

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 36 inch all thread rod and cut it evenly at 9 inches each. I made sure the top two couplers pass through the aluminum and is in direct contact with the frame. I used a little lock tight on the threads. Once the body and over riders are on the car I will trim the rods back a bit more.

IMG_20240205_203517_715.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    you can also throw on some jam nuts if you want to be certain these don't move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary View Post
    I bought a 36 inch all thread rod and cut it evenly at 9 inches each. I made sure the top two couplers pass through the aluminum and is in direct contact with the frame. I used a little lock tight on the threads. Once the body and over riders are on the car I will trim the rods back a bit more.

IMG_20240205_203517_715.jpg
    I certainly hope you mean you used lock tight on the threads of the that fasten the couplers to the chassis and not the all thread---because it has to be removed to install the body.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I put it on the bolt connecting the coupler. Not on the all tread rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Do my coupler mod. Drill the overrider holes to 15/32”, install the all thread, spacers, etc. just as you would for quick jacks then slide the overriders on. It takes some nimble fingers—-and usually no small amount of swearing—-but you can then install nuts from the hollow side of the overriders. Done it dozens of times

Jeff
    Hey Jeff! Do you a link to your Coupler Mod? I searched this and the old thread and couldn't find it.

Thanks! Mark
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one of the threads with Jeff's instructions: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hlight=coupler

And if doing over riders, refer to this one: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hlight=coupler

I have a OneNote notebook with links to just about everything This forum is awesome. Maybe one day I'll convert my notes into a searchable Google Doc with a table of contents and share the link with everyone.....has tons of details/tips/tricks I've learned over the years from the folks on the forum.
    Last edited by dbo_texas; 04-11-2024 at 09:29 AM.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Hey Jeff! Do you a link to your Coupler Mod? I searched this and the old thread and couldn't find it.

Thanks! Mark
    Here ya' go Mark.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hlight=coupler

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Thanks Jeff! We've got a new builder and an old member working on his second Roadster, both interested in this mod. They looked at mine and really liked it, but I couldn't find your original post.