Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Last GTM (Maybe?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last GTM (Maybe?)

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forums for the past year. Read the manual cover to cover. Just got my GTM delivered a couple weeks ago. The delivery driver said it was the last one, and that the GTM has been discontinued (Not sure if this is true or not).

Anyways, this will be my first build. I'm using a 2006 C6 donor with a Mendeola transaxle. I'll probably come here every now and then for some advice (might try to buy mods from some you gentlemen if they're still for sale).

Any tips before I dive into the build?

Thanks

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read all the GTM build threads you can, ask any questions you have and look to Vraptor works for some great stuff and advice. Best of luck with your build.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! I'm curious to know what chassis number you have?....if that's the last GTM it would be interesting to know. It will also be interesting to hear how the C6 donor works out for you.

As for build tips.....be patient. It's a long process. Don't make the #1 mistake I see people make with these cars and kits in general......get in a big hurry to see what it looks like painted.....so they just paint the car and then try to fit everything together after it's already painted.

Yes, I do have a ton of GTM parts available. My biggest recommendation is to work toward getting as much fresh air into the engine bay as possible and getting as much heat vented out of the engine bay as possible. The biggest gripe is heat in the cockpit. All that heat is because of a hot engine bay......cool the engine bay and you cool the cockpit. No amount of insulation in the world will prevent the cockpit from getting hot if the engine bay is running 250 degrees.

Good luck!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

4. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi VRaptor,

Thanks for the response!
    I did some research about using C6 as donor. Major differences I'm aware of are the rear suspensions, AC compressor, and steering column (maybe). I've already ordered a set of C5 rear suspensions. I'll update when I arrive there in the build.

I'm definitely leaving the paint job to the end. Probably after I'm able to drive it around as a go-cart. I noticed it would have heat issues due to it being mid-engine (cant take advantage of the front grill). I order the roof scoop and will probably open some louvers in the rear to allow more air to exit the engine bay. Definitely wont be painting it until all the aerodynamics are finalized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, please let us know your chassis number.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness. Some great advice here so far and don't be shy about asking questions. Many of us have gone through the challenges of getting everything to work, some more than others, and we are all here to help. It's not an easy build, you will get frustrated along the way (trust me here ), just take it one step at a time, and be ready do redo things many times to get it just right.

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the chassis number, where do I find this information?

Post Thanks / Like
    the chassis number will be stamped into the square tube that the driver's side door hinges are welded to. If you look on the side of the tube that faces the center of the car, they usually mask that part of the tube off.....so there should be a small area with no powdercoating where the number is stamped.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    the chassis number will be stamped into the square tube that the driver's side door hinges are welded to. If you look on the side of the tube that faces the center of the car, they usually mask that part of the tube off.....so there should be a small area with no powdercoating where the number is stamped.
    I believe you can also find it on the MSO. MSO is Manufactures Statement of Origin and should have accompanied the kit in the paperwork. This is needed to register the vehicle once complete, so hopefully you got this, and it will have the chassis number on it.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    PXL_20220301_050436726.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to know. I believe that's still on its way. Along with handful of other parts that did not get delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took delivery of #520 on 2/5/2020 so only 14 more produced and sold in that two year period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dlud View Post
    I took delivery of #520 on 2/5/2020 so only 14 more produced and sold in that two year period.
    That's about on par from my what the Stuart Transport guy told me when they delivered me 501 about 5 years ago. They deliver about 5-7 a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes sense that they discontinued the line then to concentrate on the high volume models.