Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Those running rear wing with front splitter, what size?

Post Thanks / Like

Those running rear wing with front splitter, what size?

What size wing are you running when using the standard Factory 5 splitter? I see 43” 55” and 60” rear wings available that can be angle adjusted.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 818S & R aerodynamics are turbulent behind the open cockpit reducing efficiency of intercooling and downforce. The coupe is likely cleaner and more tuneable.
    I recall that FFR and racers do not find (open cockpit) "clean air" until they measure beyond the width of the roll bar.
    Perhaps FFR has measured downforce vs wing vs splitter but I have not seen the data.
    In view of aesthetics and practicality, one may not be able to achieve balance with the open car.
    jim

3. Thanks Kalstar thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    What size wing are you running when using the standard Factory 5 splitter? I see 43” 55” and 60” rear wings available that can be angle adjusted.
    This should work:
    0f35655c91040a3a43fd2f267e6d7173.jpg

Last year we were running in a 1 hour enduro. At the 30 minute required pit stop we removed the rear wing to see what would happen. I spun the 818R right away. Back into the pit, put the wing back on, no more problems. My wing has quick release pins.

As for width, I would use whatever size fits within the rules you are racing under. Many rules require that the wing not exceed the width of the car. Another consideration is if the wing extends past the rear fenders you will occasionally snag into it when working around the car. Possibly even hitting your head when getting up from checking something down low.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

5. Thanks Kalstar thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 2011 Formula One authorised DRS or Drag Reduction System to actively reduce wing angle to reduce drag and increase speed momentarily for passing:
    http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/d...r_movable.html

I do not know how you use your car but if you need more downforce than reduced drag, go big.

It would be interesting to know how Sgt Gator's lap times would compare with driving technique adjusted to go with "no wing".
    We ran SCCA T2 with a Mitsubishi EVO against factory supported BMW M and Z cars. We tuned for speed in the straights and getting off corners hard. An example was toe settings. It worked we were the fastest EVO at the Run-Offs the two years we went there. We usually shared the Pole row with the AS Mustang V8.
    jim

7. Thanks Kalstar thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the APR GTC 300 universal I think? IIRC it was the 57". I can measure it when I get home.

9. Thanks Kalstar thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    mine is 61.5" wide