Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Engine pitching on my 818S track car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    The reason the engine bounces around so much in the 818 is 2 fold.
    1. The 818 does not use the pitch stop (dog bone) that the WRX has.
    2. The 818 two-wheel drive has twice as much torque on the motor and transmission mount compared to the 4 wheel drive WRX.
    A few builders have incorporated the pitch stop but most have switched to the stiffer group N motor and transmission mounts.
    My son has installed a supercharged Lexus V8 in his Supra that had the 2JZ inline six. It was convenient to use the six cylinder mounts but I convinced him to rework the chassis for the V8 mounts. It functions just like the Lexus, duh.
    Engine types have unique vibration characteristics, flat 4, flat 6, inline 4, inline 6, V6, V8, ect. They are engineered to be soft to match isolation requirements and stiff for control/restraint purposes and fail-safe for safety.
    I did engine/drive mount development with Lord in Erie PA. It is a complex challenge involving number of mounts, material amount, durometer, shape, position and mount angle.
    The mounts must resolve vibration isolation and displacement in the three axis' plus dynamic pitch and roll. The cost and data collection required is staggering.
    Eliminating system components and substituting materials is risky and consequential. Imagine your system having to pass safety and durability tests.
    In the case of torque (and power) it all originates in the engine and is restrained exclusively by the mounts. It is distributed to two or four tire contact patches, with corresponding traction.

Measuring engine torque on a dyno can be done with a load cell on the shaft behind the crankshaft OR it can be positioned between the dyno stand and engine mount. The torque load is the same on the shaft as the twisting moment on the mount. Then the equation Horsepower = Torque x RPM / 5,252 is calculated for power. Done that too.
    jim
    Last edited by J R Jones; 03-17-2022 at 08:09 PM.