Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Yeti MK IV Build - #10331 "Dorothy"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeti MK IV Build - #10331 "Dorothy"

At the end of August 2021, I finally gathered the nerve to make a lifelong dream come true and gave my deposit for #10331 (Dorthy, as we have come to call her). The expected delivery date was mid-March 2022 and Factory Five hit their date spot on (it really is incredible how good they are at this). I had almost pulled the trigger a few times before but finding excuses we far easier than shelling out the dough. I started saving for one of these cars in 2005 when starting college. It was $50 a paycheck and I set the goal to have one by 30. I forgot to account for inflation....and drivetrain so I didn't quite make it, but I wasn't terribly far off.
    I've been lucky enough to grow up working on cars with my father and am ready to share a similar experience with my daughter. Of the vehicles, my father and I worked together on 1928 Ford, 1932 Plymouth, 1957 Chevy, 1967 Mustang, & 1972 Corvette. This build will definitely be the most involved I have attempted. A friend of mine's father built one of the FFR MK1 models and offered to sell it to me when I was a senior in high school for only $12,000; It was fully built and only needed paint. Looking back, I assume it was the endless sanding that made him so willing to let his car go for such a deal. Of course, I didn't have that kind of money because I was too busy chasing all of the things a growing boy needs. But it did inspire me to put a plan into place. Over the years I came across several great builds, great deals, and great people, but was still building out finances. It really is a great community of people and I am excited to finally be a part of it.

Here's the build:
    • MK IV Complete kit...which actually started off as a Base kit, but slowly grew out of control
    • Silver powder coated chassis
    • Wilwood all around
    • E-Stopp electric emergency brake
    • Aviation style dash layout (modular)
    • GPS gauge set
    • Driver & passenger roll bars
    • Chrome side pipes
    • Trunk gas struts
    • 351 Windsor flat tappet with all the classic pushrod sounds (10.5:1)
    • RPM Aluminum heads
    • Carburated
    • Tremec TKX 5 Speed
    • 3-link rear suspension
    • Moser 31 spline axles, Yukon 3.55 gears & Dura Grip lock

Modifications I am considering:
    • Power steering
    • Drop Trunk
    • Mechanical throttle linkage from Mike Forte
    • Thicker firewall after Mike told me how quickly they melt in a gas fire
    • Battery box from FFMetal
    • Heated seats
    • Breeze cubby
    • RFID push to start

I'll try to include good pictures in my build so you can help keep me out of trouble and maybe help some future builders learn what not to do.. and maybe if it goes well, what to do.
    Last edited by AgileYeti; 04-05-2022 at 02:07 PM.

2. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One hurdle I have is a small space to attempt this build. I live in a house from the early 1900s and garage spaces weren't as roomy as some of the newer construction. This means I need to have castors on everything I can put them on. Dollies, chairs, workbenches, roller skates, you name it. Thanks to the design from ChrisArella, I was able to rough something together pretty quickly. I had issues accessing some of the older links to the design plans, but based on some good details in a post from him on this forum I roughed out a plan in AutoCAD. Chris mentions this, but to echo him, make sure to use wood glue at the joints for extra assurance.

Chassis Dolly.jpg

I wanted to be about 1' off the ground so I went with a set of 5" castors I found on Amazon which was rated for a little over a ton (2400 lb). If I had a bit more space I would have preferred to have a set that didn't swivel on the front to make things easier to steer, but I need the ability to push the chassis laterally as much as forward/backward so I opted for the all swivel with brakes. So far I am happy and the brakes are very strong. It definitely did the trick when Stewart Transport arrived and nothing has fallen through or cracked and they made rolling over the 1.5" inch threshold of the garage a breeze. Speaking of Stewart Transport, I was able to meet Mark and his wife Shelly, who are like a modern-day Mr. and Mrs. Clause bringing presents to all the good kiddos! They were so awesome to work with and so punctual you could set a watch by their estimates. I really enjoyed meeting them and wished I could have spent more time laughing with them, but they had to head off to Tucson. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture with them....actually this is the only picture taken that day as I was walking down my drive:

Photo Mar 24, 12 57 17 PM.jpg

I read many threads where people mentioned having a designated photog so you can remember the delivery and get plenty of shots. I had to laugh because I made arrangments beforehand with my wife to be the photographer, but the one thing I didn't count on was how excited she would get and then forget to take any pictures I suppose you might want to make sure you have an impartial photographer at your delivery just to be safe.

4. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome to the group. Glad to see you doing a build thread. I am chassis # 10333, just a couple behind you. Our cars must have been on the same truck as I also dealt with Mark and Shelly.

Looking forward to your build thread.

Ted
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

6. Likes AgileYeti, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on realizing your dream and receiving your kit. My story is a little similar. Although I wasn't able to start saving until our sons were grown and through college. No two nickels to rub together before then! Now comfortably retired and these builds are a great hobby to keep me busy. Good luck with yours.

I can't help but comment on one part of your build plan. A thicker firewall because it doesn't melt as fast in a gas fire? Really? That's the first time I've ever heard that. First of all, in a real gas fire I doubt the .090 heavier firewall (the usual gauge) is going to be much different than the stock .040. Second, the rest of the footboxes and sheet metal in the engine compartment are .040. So one heavier piece isn't going to make that much of a difference. Third, the real reason for installing the heavier firewall (I've done it) is it's stiffer and more easily stands up to hanging parts on it. Like the heater, etc. Although to be honest once the body is on and holding the firewall from top via the bulb seal, the stock one is adequate. Plus you're not going to complete a build that's going to have a gas fire anyway, right? Just not a fan of that kind of alarmist talk. If you really feel that concerned about the risk, put in a fire suppression system. Not real common, but some builds do it. At the very least, have an accessible fire extinguisher as part of your build.

Again, good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-05-2022 at 05:46 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

8. Thanks AgileYeti thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard, Welcome To The Family & Your Amazing Journey Has Just Begun!
    Your build plan really appears to be well thought out and rock solid.
    Just make sure that you run a good oil with ZDDP additives.
    The modern oils today simply don't have enough in them.
    Don't let that flat tappet cam become flattened.

Old Amsoil Blog:
    https://blog.amsoil.com/do-older-veh...inc-motor-oil/

Ancient Motortrend Article:
    https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mu...ve-engine-oil/

Good Luck, Welcome Aboard & Watch Your Pinkies!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-05-2022 at 06:09 AM.

10. Thanks AgileYeti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the warm welcome, especially from such build veterans as Paul and the GoDad Garage! Sage advice from you both and I will make sure to keep my fire extinguisher and Zinc close by.

Ted G, we have sister cars, how cool is that! I bet I saw your car in their semi. It looked so nice I kept trying to talk Mark into swapping them but they wouldn't do it (jk about the swap, but it did look nice sitting above the truck). I see you have a rockin build thread going and an awesome garage to boot! You have really made good use of your wait time. I have to get my butt in gear and get my epoxy floor taken care of too. Looks like the same stuff you used, but a different color. Its in a box around here somewhere.....I think Best of luck in your build and I look forward to trying to keep up with you.
    Last edited by AgileYeti; 04-05-2022 at 05:00 PM.

12. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Inventory - Check

The inventory is officially complete! That was much more fun than I thought. I have to give a shout-out to Mark Eaton for suggesting a thread-checking tool. I used that tool a ton and it helped out beyond my inventory already when I needed to find the pitch on a different bolt and the checker at the local auto store was what I might call "wallered out". Like a hot dog down a hallway wallered. So that was one tool which is not mounted on my wall for easy access. Thanks for that tip!

I got all the nuts and bolts broken out in their own baggies of corresponding parts with part numbers

Inventory.jpg

I have to mention how impressed I am with the shortness of the POL list. Dave and the Factory Five team are doing an incredible job overcoming supply chain issues and my hat is off to them. Nice work guys and gals!!

Now with this out of the way, I can turn my attention to the even MORE fun stuff. I can't wait to get a better look at the body and chassis.
    MK IV Roadster #10331. Ordered 08/2021 - Delivered 03/2022. Complete Kit, 351w, TKX, 3-link suspension, 3.55 gears. Build Thread for Dorthy

14. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a good build plan.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

16. Thanks AgileYeti thanked for this post
    Likes AgileYeti liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AgileYeti View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome, especially from such build veterans as Paul and the GoDad Garage! Sage advice from you both and I will make sure to keep my fire extinguisher and Zinc close by.
    I'm not a Veteran Builder, but a First Timer just like you.

Guys like Paul B, Jeff K, Jeff M, Henry R, Erik T and Mike E know these cars like the backs of their hands and really helped me with tons of expert advice so that I could build my dream.

Now you know the rest of the story.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-05-2022 at 07:13 PM.

18. Likes AgileYeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I'm not a Veteran Builder, but a First Timer just like you.

Guys like Paul B, Jeff K, Jeff M, Henry R, Erik T and Mike E know these cars like the backs of their hands and really helped me with tons of expert advice so that I could build my dream.

Now you know the rest of the story.
    I mean the way you split that door open and glassed the bottom, inside panel. That was classic. Sure looked like a pro to me. I guess that just goes to show how great the threads are from "the Jeff's", Paul B, Henry R, Erik T and Mike E! Thank goodness for them. The only problem I have found after reading so many great suggestions is who to thank when the time comes and how to get back to that one thread I read that one time
    MK IV Roadster #10331. Ordered 08/2021 - Delivered 03/2022. Complete Kit, 351w, TKX, 3-link suspension, 3.55 gears. Build Thread for Dorthy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AgileYeti View Post
    The inventory is officially complete! That was much more fun than I thought. I have to give a shout-out to Mark Eaton for suggesting a thread-checking tool. I used that tool a ton and it helped out beyond my inventory already when I needed to find the pitch on a different bolt and the checker at the local auto store was what I might call "wallered out". Like a hot dog down a hallway wallered. So that was one tool which is not mounted on my wall for easy access. Thanks for that tip!

I got all the nuts and bolts broken out in their own baggies of corresponding parts with part numbers

Inventory.jpg

I have to mention how impressed I am with the shortness of the POL list. Dave and the Factory Five team are doing an incredible job overcoming supply chain issues and my hat is off to them. Nice work guys and gals!!

Now with this out of the way, I can turn my attention to the even MORE fun stuff. I can't wait to get a better look at the body and chassis.
    My POL was a page and a half. The biggies right off the bat are the Front Upper Control Arms, Gas Tank, and some IRS parts. I think all the others on the POL are not that critical early on. I also am missing some steering part and fasteners that were not on the POL, but still missing.

Ted
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

21. Thanks AgileYeti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking my top off

On the topic of the brilliance of those like Kleiner. I have to give him massive thanks for sharing his method of removing a body by yourself. Came off without a hitch. Well, mostly... it came off fine, but my straps were a little short. I picked them up at Harbor Freight a week ago for about $10 for 4 and they seem strong enough (400 lb limit ea) but they are only 6' long. I figured a little nylon rope should hold things up for a couple of days while I build out the buck, or convince my wife how nice it would look as a centerpiece in the dining room. It seems like the general consensus is the risk of warp is reduced significantly with the rolled edges so I didn't bother to add the cockpit brace between the cowl and trunk.

BodyHookedUp.jpg

Elevated.jpg

Now with my top off, I can get to those gorgeous aluminum panels. My POL was short, but the manual was on there. However, I did find a diagram of each of the panels and their location, so I just numbered them and marked the outline of all the chassis against each one. I am sure I will need a lot of reference images to remember the way each panel overlaps so I made a short walk-around video I can refer back to. Now I can pause it wherever I need and zoom in. There is a point around 2 min where I hit my head on the DS front fender. It made me think of a post Paul B had about why he decided to move his body off-site. I swore a bit, laughed it off, and muttered, "how right you are". Needless to say, there is a reason there is no commentary anymore.

BareChassis.jpg

OK! Now with my body up and the panels down, I can admire these beautiful welds! Those FFR guys really have some skills. I expected a bit of weld splatter to clean up before powder coat, but there isn't really anything that needs to be touched up. The beads are gorgeous too. It looks like they even installed a beverage shelf for me! These guys thought of everything

beerShelf.jpg

F5R1010331RD is open for business.

chassisNumberEtch.jpg

So with the body up high and a pile of aluminum in the corner, I am going to get this chassis prepped for powder coat and try to figure out a good color from Prismatic Powders. I am thinking something in the silver family so it matches with everything, or perhaps something from the Illusion (Dormant) Collection. Time will tell, but that is enough for one day.
    Last edited by AgileYeti; 04-05-2022 at 10:06 PM.

23. Likes Fman, WIS89, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
    My POL was a page and a half. The biggies right off the bat are the Front Upper Control Arms, Gas Tank, and some IRS parts. I think all the others on the POL are not that critical early on. I also am missing some steering part and fasteners that were not on the POL, but still missing.

Ted
    Sounds like we gave the same big ticket items. My list started out large (1 page) but got whittled down nicely and a box 20 was created for me with my kit as they got things in. Short of UCA there's nothing i'll need to touch for a while. I was expecting much worse based on the stuff some people post on facebook, but was really impressed. I found a couple small things Missing In Kit but nothing major. Except a passenger roll bar, but that was something I added later in the order so that's on me. As you can probably tell from my pictures, storage is tight in my garage so not housing a fuel cell has been a blessing

I need one of those garages like yours with the wench on the ceiling and Jeep in the drive! Very nice. I'll let you know if anything shows up soon.
    Last edited by AgileYeti; 04-05-2022 at 10:54 PM.

25. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chassis Powder Coated

I sent my frame to get a powder coat in Alien Silver from Prismatic Solutions.
    I cannot say enough good things about the people at Springfield Powder Coating. They even came to my house to pick up the chassis and dropped it off for me to make it easier. I am really happy with how it turned out.

Front:
    PC Frame 1.jpg
    Close up:
    PC Frame 2.jpeg
    Rear:
    PC Frame Rear.jpg

Not that it will see much daylight, but it sure does sparkle when light hits it. Should make me smile each time I change the oil.

27. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing, that frame is totally going to stand out.
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

29. Thanks AgileYeti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While waiting for the Upper Control Arms to come in, I started thinking about my hardlines. I have a spool of 3/8" stainless tube left over from a previous build so plan to put it to good use here. Should be more than enough to supply my carb and never worry about starvation. I really liked the idea of some of the other tubing straighteners out there, but $100 is more than I care to invest on something I would so rarely use. I was sure there was something I could work out and print on my 3d printer. Before I got too far in Autodesk, I found someone else who also had this same thought. Thanks to njmcpherson for publishing the Tube Straightener to help out. I adjusted the wheels and printed them so they work with 3/8" line and it came out pretty dang good! Really does a great job of making a straight tube and at $12 invested, I can live with that.

Parts are all printed. The Gold wheels are 3/8" and the Silver ones are 3/16". I am planning to do a test run on the bends out of some smaller, cheaper stuff.
    Ready to assemble.jpeg

With the 2 sides together I can feel it taking shape
    Halfway.jpeg

Finally all ssembled. It has some heft to it for sure. I printed it with heavy infill since I planned to work with stainless.
    Coming Together.jpg

View down the chute
    Stright Assembled.jpeg

31. Likes rustyrim liked this post