Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Chris and sons 33 hot rod

Post Thanks / Like

Chris and sons 33 hot rod

Sorry, I'm a little late to starting the build thread. I have been reading this forum and ffcars for about 5 years now. Couldn't decide what to do, Cobra or 33 HR? Buy one or build one? I figure I'm done working on my house so why not build and with not a lot of storage, why not build in two stages. So I pulled the trigger on a 33 HR stage 1 back in May 2021 and picked up the kit in October 2021. Took my oldest son, who is 14, with me to pick up the order. Knew he would fall in love with the cars in the show room....bait and hook! My other two sons, ages 5 and 11, will ask to help on occasion.

Stage 1 kit, ordered with powder coated matte black, for a SBC with a manual transmission, 4 link rear suspension, hydraulic clutch, electric power steering, and FF rear disc brake option.

My intentions were to order a SBC 383 with Tremec 5 speed from Blueprint and keep it nice and simple..plug and play. I really didn't want to deal with fuel injection and have to hide an ECM or TCM nor do I want to see wiring or A/C condenser or lines up in the engine compartment. Just want to keep it simple But after reading and hearing all of the issues trying to title kit cars in MA, I m weighing my options.
    This is not going to be a daily driver. Just a fun car to rip around on a sunny day and take in a car show or two with every week. No air conditioning, no top, and hopefully no wipers!

Stage 2 was ordered in November and pick up date is scheduled for later this month, early May. No major options with stage 2 other than a hood.
    Half the fun, in my opinion, is upgrading and customizing the car during the build or after it's completed. I want to see how it performs then decide where to spend the money in upgrades.

So far the front and rear suspension are done, steering is in, pedal box is in and plumbed to the reservoirs, brake lines are all bent and installed, and firewall is in place. Can't bleed the brakes, still waiting for rear flex lines. Not sure what we can do next before stage 2 arrives. Kind of need to pick wheels and tires to get this thing on the ground.

I do have a few questions and need some opinions. Will post some more pics along with my issues.

pick up day 2.jpg
    pickup day 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping the brake and clutch reservoirs are not in the way of the hood.
    Regarding the rear upper and lower control arms, there are two holes to choose from, upper or lower holes. Manual does not specify which one? I assume one set will change the angle of the rear axle?
    Is it worth installing the sheet metal floor and E-brake now or better to wait until the underside sheet metal arrives and is installed? brake pedal 1.jpgbrake pedal 2.jpgbrake pedal 3.jpgfront susp-steering-firewall.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    It's actually in the manual but not obvious. The two holes to choose from in the frame on the 33HR for the U & L control arms (same for the rear suspension) are depending upon if your running the full fender/running board kit. The lower holes are for full fenders/running board kit. The upper holes for the stock ride height.

fullsizeoutput_76.jpeg

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 04-13-2022 at 05:20 AM.
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As stated on other posts, Mass RMV can be somewhat daunting but not impossible. I've registered 7 FFR cars and countless others through the system. Takes a little effort but not impossible. Biggest issue on my my last car (33HR) was the people at the local RMV couldn't figure out how to load an assigned vehicle ID number into the system. As a result, after 90 minutes at their office, my 33HR came back titled as a 1933 Ford Model 40, not a replica as it should have been described. I left it as it is! This car has a 1958 Buick engine.
    Last edited by cob427sc; 04-13-2022 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, that worked out for you! Did you have the engine already before the build or something you purchased?

May have to take a ride to the RMV on the south shore when it comes time to title and registration.
    This has been a quiet week for assembly. Doing more organizing and cleaning of the garage than anything. A lot of metal shavings from drilling!