Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Rod Power Tour - 2022

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Rod Power Tour - 2022

I've attended the Power Tour as a spectator in years past and this year I've signed up for the Long Hauler 5 day event. Here are the dates:

HOT ROD Power Tour 2022 Dates And Locations
    *Day 1: Monday, June 13 - Liberty Park, Memphis, Tennessee.
    Day 2: Tuesday, June 14 - Nashville Superspeedway, Lebanon, Tennessee.
    Day 3: Wednesday, June 15 - Hoover Met Complex, Hoover, Alabama.
    Day 4: Thursday, June 16 - Pensacola Fairgrounds, Pensacola, Florida.
    Day 5: Friday, June 17 - Atlanta Motor Speedway, Hampton, Georgia.

Since I'm starting from Wisconsin, it will add about another 1400 miles for the Round Trip. I'll be driving my '33 Ford Soft Top (#007) for the event.

DSC03693.JPG

This will be the longest drive I've taken in the '33. No heater, no A/C, no Radio, but I do have White Walls!

Anyone else planning on participating or just attending for one of the days?
    Will FFR be there with a display?

Best wishes,
    Tom Veale
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 04-15-2022 at 08:37 AM.

2. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes HVACMAN, shmelty, NC Cobra, Salty Chief 35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No FFR presence this year aside from participating owners. My friend Dan ( “hotrod” on the forum) will be doing the long haul for the fourth or fifth time in his roadster.

Jeff

4. Likes HVACMAN, Tom Veale liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    .......... My friend Dan ( “hotrod” on the forum) will be doing the long haul for the fourth or fifth time in his roadster...........

Jeff
    Then there will be two of us, at least!

Thanks for the reply,
    Tom

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hummm, Pensacola is only a short day trip for me.
    Might need to take a ride over to see the fun.
    Thank you for creating this thread.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-13-2022 at 03:56 PM.

7. Likes Tom Veale liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to have to make this into an epic road trip some year.

9. Likes Tom Veale, Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've kept the front springs at 9" x 450 Lbs/In and the rears as progressive 12" x 175-350 Lbs/In for track usage for most of the time since assembly in 2009. However, with a 'road trip' of about 2400 miles for the HRPT 2022 I've decided to soften up things a bit. I'm changing the fronts to 9" x 350 Lbs/In and the rears to 12" x 250 Lbs/In for this road trip. Sizes should be fine and there's room to prevent coil binding so all should be 'smooth' along with a kidney saving ride. I should be able to get them installed and see how I like it before the Power Tour and will report back here. It seems to me several others have used the same spring rates as these new ones for pure street applications so feel comfortable giving it a try.
    Any comments or experience?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting little stuff done for the trip.
    Springs, oil and filter, clean and wax and get the wheels all balanced are on the short list.
    PaperArtist_2019-11-08_19-00-20.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just about packed and ready to go for the Power Tour. Just a few more items and I'm on my way.
    Gone_Camping.jpg

:-)

See you on the Road,
    Tom

13. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the new springs in today. The straight line ride is less harsh but there's a bit more body roll. For the street I think this will be just right and save a lot of bathroom breaks on this 2400 mile adventure.

I need to put a few miles on it to settle the new springs and double check the ride height. That and head to Road America for lunch time touring on the SVRA weekend coming up to see if the handling has changed much from the stiffer springs.

I'm nearly finished with my "To Do" list for now.

Tom

PS: I also took the Plow Blade off since it appears Winter is almost over......
    DSC04306.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 05-11-2022 at 07:43 AM.

15. Likes CaptB, sread, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After about 30 miles of driving I checked the ride height again to see if the springs had settled in a bit. They had and I made some small adjustments to the keeper nuts to put heights front and rear where I usually keep them (6 1/4" just ahead of the rear wheel on the frame and 5" under the "chin" below the grille).

I was able to put some higher speed turns under the car on some nearby two lane roads. The car is steering nicely even with a small amount of body roll. The ride is much improved over rail road tracks and other harsh surfaces.

Much less "go-kart" and much more Miata now!

Best wishes,
    Tom Veale

17. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I treated the '33 to a new set of plugs. The same plugs have been in there since the engine was assembled back in 2008. They were Autolite XP 104 plugs and have served the engine well. They were all the same nice tan color and all the gaps were still identical after all these years and about 12,500 miles (much of which were track miles with Northwoods Shelby Club at Road America).

The plugs I chose as replacements are from E3, their E3.54, specifically. Here's the web site: https://www.e3sparkplugs.com/shop/sh...54_spark_plug/

I have to say that cold start idling is better and it does seem to run a bit smoother all through the RPM range so far.

A big "Thank You" goes out to Mike Everson ( https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/memb...ichael-everson ) here. He used some anti-seize compound on the treads of the old Autolite plugs when he installed them way back in '08 and they all backed out without turmoil. I followed his example and dabbed on some anti-seize on the E3 plugs before installing them.

Obviously, since I'd not heard of this newer plug design, some things continue to improve even without my assistance! Anyone else tried these plugs and if so, what's been your experience?

Best wishes,
    Tom Veale

19. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even the family cat wants to go on the HRPT!

IMG_20220515_173828.jpg

;-)
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    For the '33, what pressure radiator cap are you using?

I've currently been trying just an "open system" cap with no pressure rating on both the radiator and over-flow tank and the system seems to work fine.

Should I be using a pressurized system for my 2400 mile HRPT trip?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom I am using the radiator cap and overflow cap that came with the kit. The engine is a Chevy Performance LS3, 495 hp 480 lb ft. The thermostat is 195 degree. The ECM brings the fan on at 200 degrees. I have had zero issues with over heating or overflow.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

23. Thanks Tom Veale thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    I treated the '33 to a new set of plugs. The same plugs have been in there since the engine was assembled back in 2008. They were Autolite XP 104 plugs and have served the engine well. They were all the same nice tan color and all the gaps were still identical after all these years and about 12,500 miles (much of which were track miles with Northwoods Shelby Club at Road America).

The plugs I chose as replacements are from E3, their E3.54, specifically. Here's the web site: https://www.e3sparkplugs.com/shop/sh...54_spark_plug/

I have to say that cold start idling is better and it does seem to run a bit smoother all through the RPM range so far.

A big "Thank You" goes out to Mike Everson ( https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/memb...ichael-everson ) here. He used some anti-seize compound on the treads of the old Autolite plugs when he installed them way back in '08 and they all backed out without turmoil. I followed his example and dabbed on some anti-seize on the E3 plugs before installing them.

Obviously, since I'd not heard of this newer plug design, some things continue to improve even without my assistance! Anyone else tried these plugs and if so, what's been your experience?

Best wishes,
    Tom Veale
    E3 spark plugs ar made by NGK in Japan: https://www.bstfn.com/who-makes-e3-spark-plugs/
    NGK also makes plugs in the USA. I use NGK exclusively and prefer the Iridium plugs, with service life of 100K miles. Interestingly because of the unique thread and plating, NGK reccomends installing Iridium plugs without anti-seize. I do not know about E3. I question the advertising like faster burn. Combustion flame travels at ~40cm/s. https://old.amu.ac.in/emp/studym/6632.pdf
    I do not see ground electrodes changing that.
    BTW I recently changed the OEM NGK Iridium plugs on my Jaguar XK8 at 100K miles, and did not sence a change in performance. The old plugs looked great and removing them I used the out-in-out method.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim,
    The box of plugs says "made in China" for the ones I have. In the few miles I've driven since installing them the main difference has been "cold start" idle.
    Best wishes,
    Tom Veale

Post Thanks / Like
    On the "Spoil Yourself" list are two items:
    1) I ordered a set of side curtains for my soft top. My car has electric windows but they are for the hard top. I figure over the HRPT week and 2400 miles it's going to rain sometime so they should help.
    2) I ordered a steering wheel padded cover to protect my delicate hands!

Now I have to select the right size cooler for the passenger side foot well. I can't be without proper hydration in an open air street rod in the summer, south of the Mason Dixon line. Bottles of H2O and V-8 (of course) should do the trick.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I now understand the hydration. I did a nice 500 mile drive this weekend and I can say when I stopped, I was thirsty. I had a water bottle in the trunk and chugged it every night. I also lost an exhaust bolt. I now have checking the exhaust bolt to my yearly inspection list.

28. Thanks Indy Shu thanked for this post
    Likes Tom Veale liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the note, B,

It's good to hear of your 500 Mile trip on a weekend. That's awesome!

I figure I can get around 200 miles on a tank of gas, so that will get me out of the car to stretch and pour down some liquids at least every three hours.

I also found a small lumbar pad to fit the back of the cobra seat and it feels pretty good.

Here's what I printed for the Windshield when parked at the HRPT grounds various places:

HRPT_Sign.jpg

and on the flip side........

HotRodSinners02.jpg

Did it get noisy when the exhaust bolt got loose? Header or pipe connection? I'll add that to my own prep list! I tightened up all my valve cover fasteners, oil pan bolts and lots of other odds and ends over the last few weeks. Basically I've done a "wrench check" on much of the car in prep.

Best wishes,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh it got noisy. Nothing like showing up to a high end car show with an exposed header to exhaust. I used the old concrete jack and did my Wicked Witch of the East impression to tighter up the one bolt still there. I was able to make it home that way. A quick run to the local auto parts store and I was back in action.

PXL_20220521_190445199.jpg

I am with you on the range. I like to fill up in the 150-200 mile range witch is between 6-8 gallons. Mainly to get out for a stretch, and I just do not like going low on gas in these cars. Bonus, it does not feel like I am spending as much on gas when the fill ups are a third of the cost of filling up the truck. I have a Coyote engine and even with the AC on and not really trying, I am still getting 20MPG on my trips. For the long trips, I have noticed that our vehicles are not very aerodynamic. At freeway speeds, the lateral winds are felt. I get my best millage when I get behind the largest fastest moving thing. I got millage in the high 20s doing almost 80MPH behind a crazy guy in an RV. Even behind him by 10 car lengths, the wind noise was much less and my foot was less on the pedal. I bet I could have broken 30MPG if I stayed behind him another hour.

31. Likes Tom Veale liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi B, What a great Photo! I'm glad you took the time to make the repair and even more happy that you took that photo.

In a mix of driving and cold starts I got around 17 MPG on the last tank. I remember getting 20+ some years ago on a 100 mile drive but I rarely use the car for much more than scooting around town and such.
    I like the comment on having a tiny gas tank making it feel like Gas is less expensive! My neighbors just returned from CA pulling their camper/trailer. It was double the pain even though the average MPG was the same as last Fall when they headed West. They said they paid well over $5/Gal for regular in several places. We're still under $4.50/Gal here, for now. Premium for the '33 costs me over $5 however.

I have a Ford Flex, also. It has "adaptive cruise control" and is a great drafting vehicle. I put on the cruise and find a fast moving truck and let the "adaptive" do its thing. The Flex jumps from ~22mpg to ~26 in Draft mode. I'll watch for some fast moving RVs or trucks to draft in the '33 and report on mileage change.

Tom

33. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a suction cup phone mount for the car and borrowed a GoPro camera and mount. I'll do my best to figure out how to U/L some pics and vids during the HRPT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonight I'll get to do a few warm laps of Road America in the '33. I'm attending a private party there and we'll be allowed a few "supervised" laps. Maybe I'll try out the GoPro and see how it works.

It's just 10 days now until I leave to join the HRPT. I'll drive there on Sunday and be ready for the start on Monday. We are there in Memphis until Tuesday AM when we all depart starting at 8AM for Nashville.

Best wishes,
    Tom

36. Likes FF33rod, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were able to circuit the track about 4 or 5 times last night. I edited the video to just one complete lap for your viewing pleasure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5yDm89w78I
    I drove "The Line" for race cars even though we were at about 1/2 speed. We had nearly perfect weather with puffy clouds and steep angle sunlight (6:30 PM). All in all it was a blast.
    Dinner was pulled pork, chicken and beef brisket with cole slaw, smashed potatoes and Mac & Cheese. Beverages were served AFTER the track laps!
    I'm pleased with how the GoPro worked.
    Best wishes,
    Tom
    PS: Music to go along with the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmb7sw3e3C4
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 06-03-2022 at 05:28 PM.

38. Likes Jeff33Ford, RoadRacer, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm ready for the Last Open Road........................
    33_Last_Open_Road.jpg

BTW, it's a great book for automotive reading.
    Here's a link to author Burt Levy's book page. Start with "The Last Open Road."
    http://lastopenroad.com/finzios/books2010.htm
    The Potside Companion is also good for curing constipation.....

Best wishes,
    Tom Veale
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 06-04-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Done! The first 600 miles from Wisconsin to Memphis is in the books.

Tomorrow is check in, an autocross and music by Elvis himself!
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW , the 33 got 22 to 24 MPG so far. That's while driving between 70 and 80 mph. Not too bad!
    Tom

42. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just amazed. There must be 3000 cars registered for the 2022 HRPT. My credentials are #1793 and I got thru registration at 11 this morning. There were still hundreds in line at 3:30 when I left.

It was 94° in the shade and this Cheesehead was melting!

Onto Nashville tomorrow morning - about a 4 hour drive.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I left Nashville Superspeedway at around 4PM and there's was still a line of cars arriving over a mile long. Tomorrow I'll try to find out an attendance estimate.
    This event is huge!
    TomIMG_20220614_162012.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 06-14-2022 at 10:25 PM.

45. Likes Iziks, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The venue at Hoover metropolitan stadium was nice. Cars everywhere.

We're off to Pensacola in the AM. Easy drive. Too bad the Naval Aviation Museum is currently closed to the public. I would have liked to go there, plus hang out in their A/C for a while!!! It's been brutally hot each day with temps in the high 90s and heat index even higher.
    More tomorrow.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

48. Likes RoadRacer, Jeff33Ford, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the rat rods. When friends ask about the safety of these vehicles, I like to say that they are interactive crumple zones and rear volatile liquid energy absorption systems.

50. Likes Tom Veale liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My car's now Famous. It showed up on Car & Driver's Facebook page!

IMG_20220616_130221_01.jpg

Pretty Cool!!!
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 06-16-2022 at 08:14 PM.

52. Likes GoDadGo, Nigel Allen, Jeff33Ford, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On to Atlanta Motor Speedway early tomorrow...

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    My car's now Famous. It showed up on Car & Driver's Facebook page!

IMG_20220616_130221_01.jpg

Pretty Cool!!!
    Not Pretty Cool, More Like Very Cool!

55. Likes Tom Veale liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    20220613_111242_04.jpg A picture of HALF the line waiting for credentials that Tom mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it took me over an hour out there in the sun, heat and humidity to get to the front of the Registration Line. A couple of people passed out while waiting.
    Considering the numbers of participants, they did a pretty good job of getting us all through.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: Thoughts on the HRPT Southern Tour..................................

- My round trip was 2592 miles total including about 1000 of them being the tour itself. Pretty country when off the Interstates and a more leisurely pace. I was home in Wisconsin by 4PM on Saturday.

- Don't worry if your car has no cruise control, lots of other cars do. Just latch onto someone who's going about the speed you want and maintain your distance.
    Hint 1) pick someone who reliably uses their turn signals when changing lanes - it helps
    Hint 2) if possible, pick a car with a license plate from the same State to which you are traveling. It might mean you can run a long way before changing to follow another car.

- Drafting a tractor trailer in a FFR street rod means a lot of wind buffeting the car without much mileage improvement. Especially with the windows down.

- The Hot Rod Power Tour of the deep South in June should be postponed until after hurricane season, or maybe until the next Ice Age.

- Without air conditioning, in the 95° heat you need to drink enough water that it forces you to stop for a potty break once every 2 to 3 hours. Follow Richard Nixon's advice, "Let me make it perfectly Clear...."

- Save an empty water bottle if you like to lean your left leg against the door. Set it on the door sill and then lean your leg on it, too. That 90 degree frame rail isn't very comfortable after a while and the bottle will take away that problem.

- Pack twice the clothes you think you will need when the temp is 95+° out. You'll be soaked with sweat just from cleaning the windshield, so a change of clothes will happen more often than you think.

- Don't be surprised if a bee gets sucked in the window and is pissed enough to sting you!

- V-8 veggie drink has a lot less sugar than the popular sports drinks and enough salt to help keep you going on a scorcher day. Besides, if you're gonna drive a V8 you should drink V-8. It should be the HRPT drink of choice, considering most of the cars there.

- Be sure to order side curtains for your car. That will guarantee you'll have no rain on your trip - only stifling heat and humidity and brutal sun all day.

It was a great time!
    Best wishes,
    Tom Veale
    Hot Rod FFR #007
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 06-20-2022 at 08:22 AM.

59. Likes Geoff H, 33fromSD, Jeff33Ford, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the "official" photo from the Tour..........................

HRPT_Image01.JPG

Tom

61. Likes Salty Chief 35, JimLev, peterh226 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tom,
    Just got my “Hot Rod” magazine in the mail (November 22 edition), and your car is on the inside cover. It’s also on page 17 taking up a third of the page!
    Congratulations,
    Jeremie

63. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast