Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  71
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff33Ford HotRod Build - First Go-Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. At the moment I have the engine side covers off and with the hood popped up it should be fairly easy to do.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did not like the plain chrome valve covers so I powdered coated them the same color as the firewall. I really like the way it turned out.
    IMG_2083.jpgIMG_2084.jpg
    I had some 3/4 tube laying around so I created a stand off mount for heater/defroster. I am bringing all the wiring up through the trans tunnel and this gives a place to bring all that wiring up behind the heater.
    IMG_2085.jpgIMG_2086.jpg

3. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff33Ford View Post
    I had some 3/4 tube laying around so I created a stand off mount for heater/defroster. I am bringing all the wiring up through the trans tunnel and this gives a place to bring all that wiring up behind the heater.
    IMG_2085.jpgIMG_2086.jpg
    I'm stealing this idea!
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

5. Likes Jeff33Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up a lot of the dash and engine wiring today. Funny thing to make a note of. I put the aluminum heat shielding on the starter wires. Well, if you get that to close to the to the starter connector you will have a short. I always make sure I have not real current draw when I hook up the battery and this time I did and that was what it was. Never had that happen before and I have used the stuff several times.

IMG_2132.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the radiator installed. Ran the engine up to temp for the first time. Then checked if the trans will go in gear. I must have did something right when I rebuilt the trans. Was a pretty good feeling to get to this step. Get a nice day may see if it will go down the driveway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Such a good feeling!

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't it feel good when you know it works after a repair. Congrats!
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may need to relocate that coil so that the wire goes no where near that Sniper. The RFI will play havoc with the Snhiper ECU. have fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, I found this out the hard way when I installed the sniper & Hyper Spark system on my 70 challenger. I bundled the coil harness with the harness coming from the Sniper CD Box together to make things "look pretty" in the engine bay.....BIG MISTAKE, everything ran like crap.

Re-did the wiring separating the coil harness from everything else it ran awesome and has been flawless for the past 4 years.

Great system but definitely finiky on wiring.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on more wiring. Nothing exciting but built the body buck for a distraction this weekend.
    BodyBuck1.jpgBodyBuck2.jpg

13. Likes Ltfracing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's looks great. I wish I had room for one.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heater all plumbed up and tested. Everything worked great. Working back half now. Getting rear exit exhaust all lined up and then put on rear panels. Getting close to starting body work.
    IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg

16. Likes Ltfracing, JimLev, FF33rod, 33fromSD, BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heater all plumbed up and tested. Everything worked great. Working back half now. Getting rear exit exhaust all lined up and then put on rear panels. Getting close to starting body work.
    IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    Where did you get your air filter from? Having a clearance issue with mine in my coupe. Looks like that may be a solution. Thanks.

Scott
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Namrups View Post
    Where did you get your air filter from? Having a clearance issue with mine in my coupe. Looks like that may be a solution. Thanks.

Scott
    Cheapy from Amazon. Figured I would get a good filter to replace the paper one for it when I start driving the car. I powder coated it and cleaned the powder off of the ridges before baking it so it matches the valve covers. All my measurements say it will clear the hood no problem.

Amazon Filter

19. Thanks Namrups thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally a weekend to do a little work on the Hot Rod. Used a loan a tool from AutoZone to pressure test the coolant system. Got it to hold 15lbs over night so I think I am good.
    Built a battery box with inspiration from JimLev here
    Used a cheap brake from HF and powder coated when done.
    I really like the way it turned out and my son will 3D print a nice cover for it. We were thinking with the Ford script on it. But got time to think about it.
    IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2224.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg

21. Likes JimLev, TxMike64, Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Jeff.
    No reason to mount the battery in the trunk and take up what little space there is in there when there is all that vacant space below the trunk.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55

23. Likes Jeff33Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have not got a lot of time lately to spend on car. But put a few things together and took it down the road for a test. Son got first drive on the road then I took it down the road. So far so good. Over 90 degree day and ran cool. At least no major things popped up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job! Sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see it moving under it’s own power.
    Did I detect a little fishtailing on your return trip?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Job, awesome feeling to get to Go-Kart stage.

Just to set your expectations, I'm not sure about your plans but if your build includes the engine side panels and hood, it will run cool until you install those and then the engine bay turns into an oven, all good though if you take measures to dissipate the heat.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Nice to see it moving under it’s own power.
    Did I detect a little fishtailing on your return trip?
    Had to check if the posi was working! That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Great Job, awesome feeling to get to Go-Kart stage.

Just to set your expectations, I'm not sure about your plans but if your build includes the engine side panels and hood, it will run cool until you install those and then the engine bay turns into an oven, all good though if you take measures to dissipate the heat.

Jim
    Thanks Jim and I am using the hood and side panels. Looking at several ideas to vent the side panels. I really like your look. Buick pops in the mind right away.

29. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m using these 24” long louvered vents. I keep the engine fan running 100% of the time at 1/2 speed to push out the heat. Then when the radiator temp sensor gets hot enough the fan switches to full speed.
    See post 523, 524.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build/page14

31. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had to check if the posi was working! That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Thanks Jim and I am using the hood and side panels. Looking at several ideas to vent the side panels. I really like your look. Buick pops in the mind right away.
    Thanks Jeff. Mine are exactly that, buick vent ports. I like the looks of them and with me only running a little 302 they do a sufficient job venting the heat.

Jim

33. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have not made an update in awhile. Spending alot of time on the doors. More details here
    Worked on the nose cone as well. Had to extend like so many others had to do. But moving along slowly.
    IMG_2567.jpgIMG_2572.jpgIMG_2574.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    A piece of advice. Make sure your hood sides, if you have one, are sanded down to the "molded side trim" and set it on with the suggested bumpers. Mark your grill sides where it stops so you can see where the engine side covers will land when sitting on the nose cone. I had to cut my nose cone down the middle at the bottom and fiberglass it back together so I could get the sides down further on the grill. Do not trim the front of the side covers until you have the nose cone set. The geometry changes when you extend the nose cone.You can sand the sides of the hood down some more after to get your gaps. Ask me how I know.

36. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the build so far.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12