Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: steering shaft to coat or not to coat?

Post Thanks / Like

steering shaft to coat or not to coat?

17 years ago the DD shafts included with the MK III kit were bare cold rolled steel and they would rust if they weren't painted or coated. However, the DD shafts included with my more recent 33 HR kit look like they might have zinc. What have you guys with miles and years on your cars found, do the newer DD shafts need to be painted or coated, or is corrosion not an issue on the newer DD shafts? I found in the past that anything more than a very light coat of paint makes assembly nearly impossible due to the tight tolerances between the shaft and the bearings or U-joints. What have you guys found?

Thanks,
    Wibby

Post Thanks / Like
    Zinc? I've never heard that previously mentioned. If so, wouldn't the zinc itself protect it from corrosion?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Sharkhide.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    The shafts on my ‘35 pickup kit, delivered in April 2019 were coated but can guarantee at that time they were coated with electro-chemical nickel. It’s a very different colour, and something I’m used to seeing from a former career in paint spraying and spray tanning equipment.

The coating on a couple of the shaft ends with my kit was thick enough actually had to grind some off to get the ends fitting in the U joints.

Zero rust so far as my kit has been roadworthy since July 2020. 👍🏼

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a gen 1 '33. The steering shaft started to show signs of rust within 5 years.
    I would recommend coating it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wibby View Post
    17 years ago the DD shafts included with the MK III kit were bare cold rolled steel and they would rust if they weren't painted or coated. However, the DD shafts included with my more recent 33 HR kit look like they might have zinc. What have you guys with miles and years on your cars found, do the newer DD shafts need to be painted or coated, or is corrosion not an issue on the newer DD shafts? I found in the past that anything more than a very light coat of paint makes assembly nearly impossible due to the tight tolerances between the shaft and the bearings or U-joints. What have you guys found?

Thanks,
    Wibby
    Paint it after install, then you don't have to worry about clearances being off.