Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cobb AP Green Speed Update

Post Thanks / Like

Cobb AP Green Speed Update

If you haven't heard....As far as Cobb AP....that was the solution for the last 20 years, but no more. They announced a few days ago that their software and hardware will only support tunes that don't disable any EPA requirements. The tuner community is going nuts about it. Do a Google search on "Cobb Green Speed Update" and you'll see what I mean!

In essence the solution for race cars is a standalone ECU. The easiest and best value for older Subarus is the LINK ECU that is a plug & play swap into the Subaru oem ECU case. In my case we went with the slightly more robust LINK that has to be hand wired. For the STI we will probably go with the plug and play version. Of course there are many more standalones, popular ones being, AEM, Motec, Haltech.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    When I heard this the other day I was pretty heated.. I had bought one brand new from Summit and paid for the EFI school to unlock accesstuner. I’m hoping after I drive it for a while I don’t get any CEL codes I missed. That will suck getting it inspected if so. Nevermind the fact that I’m stuck with the 93 octane tune that I modified last year.. no tuning going forward with this thing. I would imagine that they will be selling for peanuts pretty quickly.
    Last edited by TheHelixx; 04-25-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put this in Gator's thread but this belongs here too.

This has put a wrinkle in my plan since I have been planning to use a Cobb AP and why I converted to all USDM engine sensors. My local tuner used Cobb but also offers EcuTek with flex fuel support so this will be my new approach. The only issue is there is no standalone AP and rather it is on an app on your phone. However, it still allows you to delete things like you could in the Cobb accesstuner. I am not sure if you can get the EcuTek tuning SW to make the mods yourself or if you need to go to a dealer for support.
    https://www.delicioustuning.com/node/818

Post Thanks / Like
    They really pulled the rug out from under thousands of people from my point of view. They could have just adjusted there regulation going forward instead of restricting access to something they sold prior to. While I don’t disagree with the green initiative they are taking, I do disagree with them taking back abilities of a product they advertised and sold.

That’s sounds like a rant and I didn’t mean it that way, just venting I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any company the makes hardware/software that defeats the emissions systems on OEM ECUs will be fined into oblivion by the EPA. They've already bankrupted some of the diesel tuning companies. Also any tuner who knowingly modifies a street car to defeat the emissions equipment will also be fined.
    So you either tune with gear that keeps your street car EPA legal (Cobb's plan), or you tune a dedicated race car with a standalone ecu. Blame the EPA and Congress, not Cobb. They are just trying to stay in business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Late last year I needed exhaust headers and a system to put a SBC LS3 into a 1998 C5 Corvette track day car. The original LS1 headers have 1.75 primaries and the BP LS3 needs 2.0 primaries.
    Summit carried an ARE system but stated there was a hold on any non-OEM spec parts that affect emissions. I called ARE who builds the systems in CA and they told me that production line is shut down for the EPA ruling.
    I am building a system from parts.
    At the time I mentioned that experience on this forum, but no one acknowledged the issue or seemed to care. Replicas are not OEM but the industry is apparently gun shy, and we will be effected.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Rom Raider? Open source tuning with a Tatrix cable?

Ed Holyoke

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking into the details, if only the carberry rom was available for 32 bit ECUs for my 07 daily driver. I've been using RomRaider and the Tactrix cable for years now.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a quick chat with the virtual guy on the Cobb site. While I would not take this information to the bank he indicated that "you would still be able to fully tune all aspects of the engine, BUT you will not be able to disable the EGR or TGV codes". So, in essence if you have done the deletes as many have you can still tune properly, but you will simply have to live with the Check Engine Light (CEL) as you cannot toggle off those flags.

Not sure if this is true or not. I still do not have a tuning solution. Assuming this is accurate info and you can live with the CEL then it is still likely the easiest and cheapest way out. Still need to do more research before I commit funding to the tuning aspect of the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't spoken with him since the Cobb news broke, but my local tuner said he was comfortable with either Cobb or open source and mentioned Carberry specifically. The thing to do might be to shop around tuners in your neck of the woods and see what they have to say.

As to 32bit, a quick search brought up this from 2011. :
    https://www.igotasti.com/threads/ope...vailable.2624/

Ed Holyoke