Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nose hinge hits A/C condenser fitting - Gen 3 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Nose hinge hits A/C condenser fitting - Gen 3 Coupe

Need help in resolving an issue where the Nose hinge on my Gen 3 Coupe will not rotate enough because it hits the lower A/C condenser fitting (No.6 hose). It is not the condition of having to trim the radiator tunnel aluminum, I know I have to do that (thanks to others who have posted). I have seen pics of builds that have a condenser that is narrower that the radiator and allows the lower condenser fitting and hose to run back inside the radiator tunnel by using a no.6 beadlock 90 degree fitting. The problem is that the condenser supplied with my A/C Kit is actually wider (with hose connections and flange) than the radiator. First mention to FFR engineering (so far) says I have the correct condenser.
    Any ideas, or am I not seeing something?? I even shifted the radiator to the driver's side to get more room for the fitting on the passenger side, but still not enough room to get fitting out of the way of the hinge, ie. inside the tunnel.
    IMG_6063.jpgIMG_6062.jpgIMG_6064.jpgIMG_6067.jpgIMG_6071.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    You haven't mounted the hood and aligned it yet?
    Many builds I see, guys are having to heavily modify the hinges to get the hood aligned, and that will affect the clearance at the condenser fitting.
    So, you may want to look at that first.
    And, you may need to cut that hinge to get it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the last 2 I built I put a 90 degree fitting there to get more clearance.
    Mike

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    you could also lower the condenser some - but to Mike's point - I think I have a 90 on mine as well but it's a hard line - anyway the bottom fitting is 8 inches up from the bottom bar (measured from side that's closest to the ground) that supports the radiator.
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 05-09-2022 at 05:00 PM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Discussed in this thread, including what I did. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-advice-needed

I also posted on your thread in the other forum.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I did have the nose mounted to verify the obstruction. The condenser is just too wide to allow a fitting (a 90 degree) to run inside the radiator tunnel. I'm opting for the narrower Vintage Air condenser (03263-VUC) which solves the problem. A little outside the budget. But wait, what budget??

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know why Factory Five hasn’t updated their A/C option with a condenser that fits? I also just purchased a smaller condenser because of this issue. Doesn’t make sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    For my coupe, I am thinking of cancelling the AC/Heat from F5 and piecing together a system from Vintage Air. Primarily because of the condenser issue and not sure the F5 unit can really handle the heat here in Texas. Also, Vintage air is also not far from where I live, so getting mock-ups, parts, etc. could be a try before I buy. I also am considering mounting the condenser in the rear of the car with a fan to allow for the most cool air on the radiator and to have a clean look.

All that said, if I don't order F5 AC/Heat, is there any sheet metal that I would have to fabricate or any non-obvious AC/Heat parts I would have to buy?

I'm just not sure what all comes with the kit and I would just like to know before I un-check that box on my order!

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do this and you’ll have clearance (Clarence).

Jeff

8D44F51E-2EA1-4BCB-8A0E-BA28D58D5911.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the things I discovered as I was doing nose mounting was a 3/8" difference in the depth of the running light cones (to which the hinges are mounted ...). One was too deep specifically, and took all of the play out of the hinge mount. So first things first, spend a bit of quality time measuring the fiberglass as pertains to hinge mounting, and then dry-fit the bonnet and trim both radiator duct aluminum and lower edge fiberglass on the bonnet as has been discussed in at least one recent thread ;-) I have benefited from deciding not to install heating and AC in my build.

My body is off to my painter tomorrow morning. A lot of hard work at my end lately solving some of these fitment issues (many thanx to forum contributors!) and wrapping up body filler, ..., etc.

Happy 4th!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm at this part of my build and have been reading threads. All helpful.

Jeff, a picture is worth a thousand words. Love this!

* notch out the hole for more adjustment on the heim joint (able to slide the hood back to align the front wheel well).
    * Trim the bottom side of the hood and the bracket where it prevents the hood from opening all the way.

- Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you already cut the 1/2" of extra aluminum off the drivers side of the condenser (the strip with the holes in it?) I did that, as well as use a 90 degree fitting