Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: What is this?

Post Thanks / Like

What is this?

I just started my ‘33 HR and, for the life of me, I can’t figure out what this vertical mount is for on the rear of my frame. I’m sure as I get into the build I might figure it out but my frame was ordered for a 4 link setup. Rather than rack my brain and spend any more time on the web looking, I figured I show my ignorance and just ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Three link hard mount that the panhard bar mounts to.
    Todd Baumann
    FFR Build School Instructor 16+ Years Mott Community College
    FFR 2086 MKI, 22+ years on the road
    FFR 300 MKI Coupe

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is for the Panhard Bar.
    It's part of the frame on all solid axle cars.
    On the Roadsters and 289 FIA cars, that bracket it is a bolt on item.
    I'd recommend keeping it because you may want to upgrade to the 3-Link down the road.

Hope This Helps & Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I assumed that’s what it is, but wasn’t aware they were gonna put it on my frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cudajeff View Post
    Thanks. I assumed that’s what it is, but wasn’t aware they were gonna put it on my frame.
    Good Luck, Happy Wrenching & Watch Your Pinkies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Panhard bar is a 3-link thing, as others have mentioned. 4-link doesn't have one. Seems a little strange they would have a 3-link panhard bar mount on a 4-link chassis. Not sure it's right, but then don't know for sure.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, The four bar suspension of 90's Mustang design is flawed for high performance driving. The upper arms oriented on the diagonal **** the rear axle when side loaded. The fix is a panhard bar that does not let the axle displace in yaw. Now you need a mount bracket on the axle housing, and a bar. You will be glad that you did.
    jim

Ha! the editor did not like the word Koch, or something like that. The specific issue is when high cornering loads push the chassis to the side, one upper arm gets shorter and the other gets longer. The short arm pulls that side of the axle forward and the opposite arm pushes the axle aft. Good enough and cheap enough for Mustangs.
    Maybe FFR came to their senses making the four bar more suitable for high performance driving. Maybe they included the panhard bar too.
    Last edited by J R Jones; 05-23-2022 at 10:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    Jeff, The four bar suspension of 90's Mustang design is flawed for high performance driving. The upper arms oriented on the diagonal **** the rear axle when side loaded. The fix is a panhard bar that does not let the axle displace in yaw. Now you need a mount bracket on the axle housing, and a bar. You will be glad that you did.
    jim

Ha! the editor did not like the word Koch, or something like that. The specific issue is when high cornering loads push the chassis to the side, one upper arm gets shorter and the other gets longer. The short arm pulls that side of the axle forward and the opposite arm pushes the axle aft. Good enough and cheap enough for Mustangs.
    Maybe FFR came to their senses making the four bar more suitable for high performance driving. Maybe they included the panhard bar too.
    He'd be even better off to just change it over to the 3-link setup with the panhard bar, way better handling than the Mustang 4-link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Panhard bar is a 3-link thing, as others have mentioned. 4-link doesn't have one. Seems a little strange they would have a 3-link panhard bar mount on a 4-link chassis. Not sure it's right, but then don't know for sure.
    If not using it, I would sure cut it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    before you cut it off, call FFR and see if it is supposed to be there. I'm not aware of any differences between the 4 link and 3 link frames but the guys that know are at FFR.

11. Likes J R Jones liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    before you cut it off, call FFR and see if it is supposed to be there. I'm not aware of any differences between the 4 link and 3 link frames but the guys that know are at FFR.
    My friend Dave built a 2nd Generation Hot Rod and it has provisions for both the 3-Link and 4-Link solid axel configurations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    I am not experienced enough to identify which suspension configuration is in the OP's photos. It is possible the frame is actually set up for the three-bar, not the four bar.
    I would not cut anything off until you have assembled the car and evaluated the handling. Cutting is easy, putting it back, not so much.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    The 4-link uses the Fox/SN95 Mustang suspension geometry AFAIK, which doesn't use a panhard bar, so that frame member would be unnecessary if that is the suspension being used.
    Now, if FFR screwed up and sent the wrong frame, or Cudajeff didn't actually order the 4-link frame, then no, don't cut it off.
    But, I sure wouldn't wait until final assembly of the rear axle to find out something is wrong.

But, IMO, he would be better off if the frame actually is for the 3-link, as it is a better handling option than the Mustang 4-link setup.
    Then he would just need to add the mount to the axle for the single top link of the 3-link and add the panhard bar.

Cudajeff needs to, BEFORE doing anything else, find out what he actually has.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hot Rod 4 link already includes the Konis and coilovers. I'd encourage you to go ahead and spend the extra few hundred bucks to upgrade it to a 3 link.

BTW, aren't you the guy who recently introduced himself and said you planed to build a Speedstar for charity with a late 2022 delivery? Did you change plans and go with a '33?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input and advice. I will reach out to FFR and get some clarification. I’m not cutting anything off until I know exactly what direction I wanna go.
    Yes Jeff I am the guy building this car for charity. I’ll explain... my charity ordered a Speedstar in April with a November delivery date and while I was waiting, I was gathering parts and found a rear differential that was perfect just 3 hours away. So I made the 3 hour drive to get it last week and when I got there the gentleman selling it had a ‘33 HR sitting in his shop still on the pallet and all the parts still in the boxes. He’s had it for a couple months and hadn’t started it. We got to talking and I told him about the charity building the Speedstar so we could auction it off and he offered to sell me his 33 at a significant discount so the charity could benefit from his generosity. I couldn’t believe my good fortune. I shook his hand drove back to Houston, got a cashiers check and went back 3 days later and picked it up. This is part of the confusion about the frame. I was told it was setup for a 4 link but I didn’t actually order it so I’m still trying to figure out exactly what I have.
    Thanks for everyone’s help. I’m sure to have many more questions and will take all the advice I can get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cudajeff View Post
    Thanks for all the input and advice. I will reach out to FFR and get some clarification. I’m not cutting anything off until I know exactly what direction I wanna go.
    Yes Jeff I am the guy building this car for charity. I’ll explain... my charity ordered a Speedstar in April with a November delivery date and while I was waiting, I was gathering parts and found a rear differential that was perfect just 3 hours away. So I made the 3 hour drive to get it last week and when I got there the gentleman selling it had a ‘33 HR sitting in his shop still on the pallet and all the parts still in the boxes. He’s had it for a couple months and hadn’t started it. We got to talking and I told him about the charity building the Speedstar so we could auction it off and he offered to sell me his 33 at a significant discount so the charity could benefit from his generosity. I couldn’t believe my good fortune. I shook his hand drove back to Houston, got a cashiers check and went back 3 days later and picked it up. This is part of the confusion about the frame. I was told it was setup for a 4 link but I didn’t actually order it so I’m still trying to figure out exactly what I have.
    Thanks for everyone’s help. I’m sure to have many more questions and will take all the advice I can get.
    Ah...
    Well, that guy may be calling the 3-link frame a 4-link because the panhard bar is basically a 4th link.
    Look for the mounts for the front end of the upper control arms and see what's there, that would tell what the frame is set up for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pic of the 3-link setup...

Pic of the 4-link...

19. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ltngdrvr,
    FWIW the Panhard Bar was invented in France over a hundred years ago.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhar...20ever%20since.

It is used on any live axle regardless of the longitudinal link configuration, for lateral control.
    We used Panhard Bars and Watts links on road racing muscle cars and "stock cars" with leaf springs because the lateral G-forces were more than the leaf springs could constrain.
    jim

21. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    Ltngdrvr,
    FWIW the Panhard Bar was invented in France over a hundred years ago.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhar...20ever%20since.

It is used on any live axle regardless of the longitudinal link configuration, for lateral control.
    We used Panhard Bars and Watts links on road racing muscle cars and "stock cars" with leaf springs because the lateral G-forces were more than the leaf springs could constrain.
    jim
    Not necessarily used on "any live axle" because the fox/sn95 4-link suspension that the FFR 4-link is based on does not use a panhard bar.
    That is why the upper links are angle outward from the center, to provide lateral control by triangulation without the panhard bar.
    Watts link is the ultimate live axle lateral location device since it always keeps the axle centered, where the panhard bar pulls the axle from side to side as the suspension travels through its arc.
    Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 05-25-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
    Not necessarily used on "any live axle" because the fox/sn95 4-link suspension that the FFR 4-link is based on does not use a panhard bar.
    That is why the upper links are angle outward from the center, to provide lateral control by triangulation without the panhard bar.
    Watts link is the ultimate live axle lateral location device since it always keeps the axle centered, where the panhard bar pulls the axle from side to side as the suspension travels through its arc.
    You got me there Ltngdrvr. Panhard bars are not manditory, and indeed, millions of cars do not have them.
    jim

BTW The trig equation for lateral displacement of a live axle traveling 3.0 inches with a 48 inch panhard bar is:

m = r - sq root of r squared - c squared divided by 4
    Saving you the calculator task, the answer is 0.03 inches lateral displacement, about the same as a spark plug gap.
    You are right again.
    jim
    Last edited by J R Jones; 05-25-2022 at 05:55 PM.