Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: This might sound like bragging, it isn’t

Post Thanks / Like

This might sound like bragging, it isn’t

The Wicked Big Meet is the largest gathering of Subaru people in the world. It’s held every year in Stanford Springs, CT. I submitted my 818S last year for judging and they rejected it. As I drove in and out, I got the same reaction as I do at all car shows. “ That’s cool. What is it?” I explained that in my entry this year, along with my pictures. They accepted me as one of the 300 or so others. They gave 10 first prizes. My 818S won Best Other. Going up to the podium in front of several thousand Subaru people was a huge thrill. I wanted to wear the trophy as a hat the rest of the day.

This isn’t bragging because I’ve seen lots of 818s over the last 5 years. Most, if not all have fewer flaws and/or things yet to be finished. My car wouldn’t be noticed in a collection of 818s. Very few people at the Meet have ever seem one or had the thrill of driving one. I smile every time I see a turn in the road. Too bad the 818 is no more.

Okay, so I was nervous about the show. I left double time to get there. I even set my alarm. I never do that. While waiting in a long line at 7:30, I looked behind my back to see steam coming out of the hood. The drivers side rubber coupler blew off the pipe and dumped all my coolant. My friend Randal, a Mercedes mechanic building coupe went looking for a screwdriver and I went in search of water. One of the vendors gave me a water can he had to hold down a corner of his tent and Randal found that his car key would work as a screwdriver. Crisis averted. The worst part was having to buy 5 tall bottles of Poland Springs and stop once every 2 miles until all the air was replaced by water. Wayne’s mod worked just fine. Thank you Sir.

2. Thanks Geoff H thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, it’s not bragging at all! You should be proud of the work you’ve done and to receive the recognition for your hard work. Good for You!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

4. Likes Geoff H, David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Any pictures?

Been thinking about Subiefest in So. Cal on Sept 18. I've been on the fence about it, but you've got me rethinking it. They have some sort of award for best sounding car, or loudest or something like that. Figured I'd have a shot at that with what is certain to be the most stripped-down exhaust system there.
    https://www.subiefest.com/california/index?

6. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Really cool. Hope to see you at the open house this weekend. If my new transmission arrives as scheduled tomorrow and I get it installed in time I'll be there.

8. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cograts on the award and more for the quik fix with whatever you can find. Almost a McGyver type of fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, great job.