Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper control arm clearance question.

Post Thanks / Like

Upper control arm clearance question.

Hey guys I’m installing the UCA’s. I’m using the upper mounting holes and the control arm is extremely close to the mount. See pics. Is this going to be a problem with normal suspension travel when it is loaded? The ball joint has about 3 inches of vertical travel right now before it runs into the mount. Think I should clearance the mount a little? Sorry but I can’t seem to get the pics to rotate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Gen1 chassis, so bear that in mind. But I think it's very similar in this regard - and I've watched this area very closely because I always expected pain here.

But after a pretty hard first year/10,000 miles as my daily driver, there's no problem.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind the selection of mounting holes plays an important role in fender selection too. What type of fenders are you running? If no fenders or bike fenders than the top hole is fine, but if you're running the full fenders you'll need the bottom hole to allow for more tire to fender clearance.

In the situation above, I'm not sure of you'd ever see the full travel you're concerned about in normal driving conditions and as James has pointed out, he thoroughly exercises his on the track frequently as well as using the 33 as his DD and has not run into any issues with clearance yet using the upper mounting holes.

As far as I am aware the Gen1 & Gen2 frames for the front suspension did not change.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    As far as I am aware the Gen1 & Gen2 frames for the front suspension did not change.

Jim
    Perhaps it wasn't Gen1 vs Gen2.. but my #997 doesn't have two holes anywhere to choose from. In fact what I have "looks" closer to your lower hole. But maybe regardless, the a-arm isn't hitting the chassis IRL.

2022-06-09 08.23.58.jpg2022-06-09 08.24.03.jpg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. I’m running bike fenders so I went with the upper holes. I’ll just keep building and keep an eye on it when I get it on the ground.