Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Centering Steering Rack & Front Alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Centering Steering Rack & Front Alignment

Hey guys, I have the Gen 2 Hot Rod and I am at the final stages of finishing touches and alignments. Right now all I need to do is first center the steering rack and then do my alignment. How do you guys center your rack? I am confused since the rack itself is kinda offset and not centered in a sense. And second, I need to align the front wheels. What methods do you all use. Thanks in advance

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a couple different ways to center the rack (easiest if it was done before installing it, but still very doable in the car.).

1) Counting Turns method: Turn the rack from stop to stop, count the turns, turn back halfway. Now the rack is centered in the housing, so if you measure from tie rod to tie rod and go halfway on the housing you've got the center mounting point?

2) Using a tape measure method: On a bench (or in the car), turn the pinion out to lock one way. Measure from a convenient point to the end of the inner tie rod. Turn the pinion of the opposite lock position and measure from the same point to the end of the same tie rod. Subtract the two numbers, Divided by 2 and add that number to the smallest measurement and turn the pinion back till you get that measurement and your rack is centered.

Example--> If the rack was 17 3⁄4". Turn the pinion of the opposite lock position and measure from the same point to the end of the same tie rod say 11 3⁄4". Take 17 3⁄4" minus 11 3⁄4" = 6". Divided by 2 = 3",now add that number to the smallest measurement --> 11 3⁄4” + 3” = 14 3⁄4” and then turn the pinion back till you get that measurement and your rack is centered.

As far as alignment, it's pretty straight forward. I use both the QuickTrick alignment tool and Tenhulzen Automotive alignment tool (google both and research them). Both work very well for me since I have more cars than just the 33 so I need tools for a few applications. I also bought a good set of turn tables but you can use grease or kitty little between two metal sheets or vinyl floor tiles to achieve the same effect.

Jim

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    There are a couple different ways to center the rack (easiest if it was done before installing it, but still very doable in the car.).

1) Counting Turns method: Turn the rack from stop to stop, count the turns, turn back halfway. Now the rack is centered in the housing, so if you measure from tie rod to tie rod and go halfway on the housing you've got the center mounting point?

2) Using a tape measure method: On a bench (or in the car), turn the pinion out to lock one way. Measure from a convenient point to the end of the inner tie rod. Turn the pinion of the opposite lock position and measure from the same point to the end of the same tie rod. Subtract the two numbers, Divided by 2 and add that number to the smallest measurement and turn the pinion back till you get that measurement and your rack is centered.

Example--> If the rack was 17 3⁄4". Turn the pinion of the opposite lock position and measure from the same point to the end of the same tie rod say 11 3⁄4". Take 17 3⁄4" minus 11 3⁄4" = 6". Divided by 2 = 3",now add that number to the smallest measurement --> 11 3⁄4” + 3” = 14 3⁄4” and then turn the pinion back till you get that measurement and your rack is centered.

As far as alignment, it's pretty straight forward. I use both the QuickTrick alignment tool and Tenhulzen Automotive alignment tool (google both and research them). Both work very well for me since I have more cars than just the 33 so I need tools for a few applications. I also bought a good set of turn tables but you can use grease or kitty little between two metal sheets or vinyl floor tiles to achieve the same effect.

Jim

Jim
    Thank you Jim. I will try your method of centering the steering rack. Also, I already have the exact QuickTrick alignment tool. It was a quick trick for me so its in the bag LOL. I will dust it off and try again. Mine is for 18-20" inch wheels. I will try to find a video of how to work it. Thanks again.

4. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah , multiple ways to handle this. I always just did the centering by counting the turns. Something similar to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wfc7zgJ7P8

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a guy that is pretty smart about aligning the staggered setup

Alignment-1.jpgAlignment-2.jpgAlignment-3.jpgAlignment-4.jpgAlignment-5.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 08-14-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    assuming you're doing your own alignments, just get it close enough, then do the final when you set the toe-in. A couple times I've tweaked the toe on one side and backed it out the other side when the steering wheel doesn't feel quite centered, but I'm experimenting with alignments all the time

Having a bump steer kit like the one I got from https://kootenaivalleycustoms.com/ will make adjustment easier
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you gentlemen. Really appreciate it