FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Heater location

Post Thanks / Like

Heater location

I am getting ready to set up my FFR supplied heater. The heater is supplied by Vintage Air and looks like pretty good quality. My question is, has anyone changed the location of the heater? I am considering moving it closer to the passenger side; FFR suggests that it should be 6 5/16" away from the edge of the standard firewall. I have a Breeze Forward Firewall and I think I can move it about 3 or even 4 inches closer to the passenger door. Thoughts?

My reason for this is I am trying to have the engine bay as bare a possible, but I really want a heater. Has anyone done this? I've seen boxes made to push the unit outward, but I don't think I need that, even with a glove box.

Thanks for your info and pictures would be great too!

Ted
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

2. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you installing wipers? The wipers can be pushed out until they are almost touching the 3/4" frame rail. Can't move it much. Without wipers, think about the heater venting tubes under the dash. How mush room do you need?

Heater & Wipers - https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...hmentid=105416

I made a box to extend the heater into the engine bay. Note: The inside (under the dash) part of the heater is larger than the engine compartment part. The opening shown is approx. size of the dash side heater component, so you won't be able to move much more outboard. I moved it outward as far as possible.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...chmentid=65774

Leave enough room to install the bulb seal at the top, to seal to the body.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 06-21-2022 at 10:15 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

4. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Are you installing wipers? The wipers can be pushed out until they are almost touching the 3/4" frame rail. Can't move it much. Without wipers, think about the heater venting tubes under the dash. How mush room do you need?

Heater & Wipers - https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...hmentid=105416

I made a box to extend the heater into the engine bay. Note: The inside (under the dash) part of the heater is larger than the engine compartment part. The opening shown is approx. size of the dash side heater component, so you won't be able to move much more outboard. I moved it outward as far as possible.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...chmentid=65774

Leave enough room to install the bulb seal at the top, to seal to the body.
    Thanks David.... no wipers for me. And yes, after working on a mock up, I really can't move it due to the top of the inside part rising up about 1" and likely rubbing against the body. I guess, it goes where it goes. I like your bump-out mod, I don't think I'll need that with the forward firewall. I just may need to make my glove box a tad smaller.

Ted
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    Word of warning... double check/verify that the supplied hole template is accurate. In my case the larger holes for the coolant tubes were wrong on the template. Measure twice, cut once!

Heater02.jpg
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

7. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a slightly different heater unit but you can check out my vids to see what I did. It is on the passenger side, out of the way as much as possible.
    FFR3490 - MK2 Roadster: Yellow with black stripes, mildly built 5.0 with many upgrades/updates to come.

See my build here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...6mVHNS3FsRV76S

9. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Word of warning... double check/verify that the supplied hole template is accurate. In my case the larger holes for the coolant tubes were wrong on the template. Measure twice, cut once!

Heater02.jpg
    AGREE WITH THIS. The screw holes were off when I checked them before drilling. What I didn't do was check the round heater hose connects. It worked because the grommet covered the off center so whew! But, any cut or drill needs to be verified with the actual unit first.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

11. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
    Thanks David.... no wipers for me. And yes, after working on a mock up, I really can't move it due to the top of the inside part rising up about 1" and likely rubbing against the body. I guess, it goes where it goes. I like your bump-out mod, I don't think I'll need that with the forward firewall. I just may need to make my glove box a tad smaller.

Ted
    Ted,
    I didn't know about forward firewalls when I built mine, so I made the bump out so I could have a glovebox too. Had to make the glovebox myself. Only 4" deep, but enough to hold a little.
    David
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

13. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the heater as well as the glove box. I have the FFR vinyl dash. This LINK to my build thread shows how I modified the glove box. I do not have the firewall forward option.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

15. Likes Ted G, toadster liked this post