Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Trying on a Coupe for size

Post Thanks / Like

Trying on a Coupe for size

Hi, new member hoping to sit in an FFR Coupe, Gen 3 would be ideal as that would be what I would buy if I go ahead. I'd just like to see how I fit in one before going forward. I traveled up to Irvine and sat in one of the new Coupes Superformance is building and I found myself looking at the sunscreen rather than out the windshield, but I know the FFR is a different car even though they're both based on the same shape Pete Brock came up with. Thank you if you're willing to help me out!

Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat,
    Might help to mention how tall you are. Some are shy about weight but it helps.
    Often larger/taller people will adjust seats by changing mounts to lower and move back. Others of smaller stature may put the seat on risers and move forward. Just showing that there are options.
    The new Gen 3 coupe has more room than the earlier versions but still not huge. I've gotten in/out of Gen 3s, there's a technique, but I found it comfortable once in. I'm 5' 7" 170#, so my experience probably doesn't relate to your situation.
    How close are you to Columbus, OH? The London Cobra Show is this Saturday. Would be a great opportunity to look around.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to and confirm Jim's comments: (1) Your size and weight is an important component of the discussion, (2) Wide variations in how you might fit based on seat selection and how they're located. So be a little careful making a decision based on how any one particular build is set up, and (3) Getting in and out is something you also need to consider. Takes a certain amount of flexibility and strength. Nothing extreme, and practice makes a big difference. But for some this is a deal breaker.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome guys, thank you both so much! Gotta laugh at myself here, I forgot to mention that I'm in San Diego. As to my specs: 6 foot and 2 inches, about 205. Not too big around the middle, yet, but sort of wide in the shoulders. Does a 46 Long for a suit coat help at all?

I get what you're saying about seat setup as well as variability on seat choice, thank you for putting that out there and I will bear it in mind if I get a chance to sit in one! Definitely takes some flexibility getting in and out as I experienced in the Superformance, probably wouldn't be driving it with a stiff neck in my case HA! Thanks again for the thoughtful replies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your dimensions are pretty close to mine. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 210. 46 Long suit coat, 34" inseam for the pants. I am still building mine. However, I have dropped the seat (the supplied default low back vinyl seats) into the car, sans sliders, and have about 3" of head room and seems to have plenty of leg room as well.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzzy View Post
    Your dimensions are pretty close to mine. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 210. 46 Long suit coat, 34" inseam for the pants. I am still building mine. However, I have dropped the seat (the supplied default low back vinyl seats) into the car, sans sliders, and have about 3" of head room and seems to have plenty of leg room as well.
    I am in the middle of my build as well. I am 6'6" 260lbs. I have sat in a few. The low back classic seats work best as I need all the door space to get in/out. I am not graceful (yet), but I have plenty of head room and leg room once in.

FracAG1980 - Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the replies from the tall guys! But how is your view out the front? Headroom is important, but I fit into the one I tried with some flexibility, but I'm certain not much grace! Still, I did not have a good clear view forward. I'm serious when I say I was looking at the visor, which was in the UP position, not out the windshield. How do you guys find it when you're sitting in the car and looking through the front glass? Any problems there? Really appreciate your input!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Hopeful View Post
    Thank you for the replies from the tall guys! But how is your view out the front? Headroom is important, but I fit into the one I tried with some flexibility, but I'm certain not much grace! Still, I did not have a good clear view forward. I'm serious when I say I was looking at the visor, which was in the UP position, not out the windshield. How do you guys find it when you're sitting in the car and looking through the front glass? Any problems there? Really appreciate your input!!
    I have only sat in mine with the seat resting on the floor. Haven't finished that part of the build yet but my view was fine. I am 6'6" tall, but my sitting height is not maxed out. Long legs.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Hopeful View Post
    With the low back seat sitting on the floor, my eyeline is just above center of the windshield. Being as far back as I can go, in the cockpit, I can tell I will have to duck to see traffic lights if I am near them.

The view out the front is not as good as a modern car. The long hood, with the bump in it, will take getting used to, if you have not driven cars like that. The view out the back is quite bad. I am going with cameras to solve that.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3", sat in both, the regular coupe with the vintage low back seats and the Coupe-R with the optional bucket seats - absolutely fine in both, plenty of headroom, no visibility issues.

Coupe - R is a nightmare to get in/out, but the bucket seats are very comfortable.

11. Thanks TLF thanked for this post
    Likes TLF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6’ 4” and about 190, so tall and skinny. I want to be able to do track days so I want a high back seat - it sounds lime this may be difficult. Any suggestions on seats? Is the one that FFR offers a good choice?
    Last edited by jgray; 07-06-2022 at 06:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory five resells a Kirkey seat. As far as room goes, they will fit well in the car and give room for taller people like yourself since the seat itself is very thin. They're decently comfortable too (surprisingly). However, I will note that they do have very high hip bolsters which make them difficult to get in and of. I have Kirkey's in my roadster, and I have to sort of lift myself up by putting my hands on the hip bolsters and then swing my legs out. With the roof on the Daytona, not sure how doable this is, perhaps someone else will comment. You could check out Corbeau and see if they have any seats that appeal to you, some other members have used these with a lot of success.

-Brandon
    FFR MKIV 8309, FMS 306 Crate w/Edelbrock EFI, T5, 3.55 Three Link, Wilwood Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Kirkey high back seats from FFR in my coupe. I have them mounted with Kirkey side and back mounts and yes getting in and out is not as easy as in the Cobra, you do have to lift yourself out of the seat and a removable steering wheel helps. The top of the side bolster is about level with the door sill. Once you are in they are comfortable and there is lots of space as long as you are not too wide. My 31 year old son who is 6-3 plus fits easily but my larger friends who are well over 200 lbs can't get in the car with the seats I have. I am 5-10 and 180 lbs with long legs and an old guy but in good shape.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019