Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Catalytic Converters for Blueprint 347 FI

Post Thanks / Like

Post Catalytic Converters for Blueprint 347 FI

Hello,

I found out catalytic converters are required in NJ.

I have a Factory five MK IV kit, blueprint Ford 347 fuel injection engine, with a TKX 5-Speed Manual Transmission.

Factory Five used to have a kit available for purchase that supplied the short exhaust headers, catalytic converters, and J pipes as I understood.

Does anyone know where to find such a kit today? I am open to suggestions at this time as well.

Thank you
    Brian Kaplowitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,

I have cats on my car (built that way), you really only need a couple of things you've already identified

1.) The cats (sold by Factory Five) https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/14265-1996-2004-catalytic-converters/. I had mine Jet hot coated.
    2.) Any Fox mustang shortie headers will do, available at Summit, Jegs, forum dealers, etc.
    3.) You'll probably need a wedge (or two) to get the passenger side-pipe to lineup correctly.

Alternatively, I remember seeing a post a while ago where someone had long tub headers with cats at the end, I think supplied by Mike Forte's shop. Some of the other vendors may also have solutions.
    FFR MKIV 8309, FMS 306 Crate w/Edelbrock EFI, T5, 3.55 Three Link, Wilwood Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pair of black cermaic coated catayltic converters from factory five that have been used for about 25 miles. If you need them I would sell them $250 plus shippin.g Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Alternatively, I remember seeing a post a while ago where someone had long tub headers with cats at the end, I think supplied by Mike Forte's shop. Some of the other vendors may also have solutions.
    I have a pair of these for my gen2 coyote that I had purchased from Mike Forte. I believe they were made by GP headers.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does NJ not allow registering it as a '65 to be exempt from this requirement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nolemons View Post
    Does NJ not allow registering it as a '65 to be exempt from this requirement?

Not legally for a new build.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on what I understand about NJ home built car inspection they look at the date on the engine block and that is the emissions year they want you to certify it at. Unless that has changed in the past 4 years since I spoke to the Inspector.

Post Thanks / Like
    I faced the same issue a few months ago. I also have a BluePrint 347 with Holley EFI. I run BBK 1515 headers and GasN touring side-pipes. When I was looking for a solution, I contacted FFR and was told:
    "we don’t have a catalytic converter solution for a small block Ford, you will have to take the standard J-pipes to a custom exhaust shop and have them install cats into the J-pipes. Yes, if you’re going to run the J-pipes you will need Fox body Mustang unequal length shorty headers such as BBK #1515." The impression I got is that FFR #14365 is for a 351 engine.
    I installed GESI G-Sport 300 CPSI EPA Approved 2.5in Inlet/Outlet x 4in Dia Body x 7in OAL Catalytic Converter. I had the cats welded into the J-Pipes at a Mufflex, Mercerville, NJ. Denny at Mullex did a very nice job. If I recall, the GESI G SpIMG_0385 Pass Cat.jpgort I have are EPA compliant, I think that there are other models that are non-EPA compliant that are less expensive. Finally, I added heat-shield from Heatshiled Products from Summit.
    Since you are in NJ, if you are interested, the NJ/PA Cobra July breakfast will be this Sunday, July 10th. We'll sit for breakfast at 9am, so arrive any time prior.
    283 US-22 East
    Lebanon, New Jersey
    (908) 534-2577
    IMG_0316 Catalytic Converter Pass Side.jpg

9. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
    I faced the same issue a few months ago. I also have a BluePrint 347 with Holley EFI. I run BBK 1515 headers and GasN touring side-pipes. When I was looking for a solution, I contacted FFR and was told:
    "we don’t have a catalytic converter solution for a small block Ford, you will have to take the standard J-pipes to a custom exhaust shop and have them install cats into the J-pipes. Yes, if you’re going to run the J-pipes you will need Fox body Mustang unequal length shorty headers such as BBK #1515." The impression I got is that FFR #14365 is for a 351 engine.
    I installed GESI G-Sport 300 CPSI EPA Approved 2.5in Inlet/Outlet x 4in Dia Body x 7in OAL Catalytic Converter. I had the cats welded into the J-Pipes at a Mufflex, Mercerville, NJ. Denny at Mullex did a very nice job. If I recall, the GESI G SpIMG_0385 Pass Cat.jpgort I have are EPA compliant, I think that there are other models that are non-EPA compliant that are less expensive. Finally, I added heat-shield from Heatshiled Products from Summit.
    Since you are in NJ, if you are interested, the NJ/PA Cobra July breakfast will be this Sunday, July 10th. We'll sit for breakfast at 9am, so arrive any time prior.
    283 US-22 East
    Lebanon, New Jersey
    (908) 534-2577
    IMG_0316 Catalytic Converter Pass Side.jpg
    Hello. Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but I just placed my order with Factory Five last weekend and I had added the Catalytic Converters from the Factory Five Order Form as well as specified the BluePrint Engines Ford 302 EFI. I got a phone call on Monday from Factory Five saying that the Catalytic Converters that they sell are for the big block engines and would not work with the order that I was putting together. I did ask them about what they might know about New Jersey and the emissions but they seemed to think that it was odd that I would need to do this. I had previously called BluePrint Engines to ask them about it as well but they did not have much information as to what might be needed to pass the New Jersey guidelines. Finally, I did also call the New Jersey DMV a few times for information and they seemed to tell me from the Asbury Park Inspection station that as long as I had Catalytic Converters that I should be good. And they did seem to be familiar with the Factory Five Roadster kit when I spoke with them about it.

So I guess that my question, for those with the New Jersey experience, as my order is currently on pause waiting for this, what exactly I should be trying to acquire directly from Factory Five out of ease or what I should source from an outside agent in order to align myself with the easiest installation and use in order to pass these emissions inspection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Please join us at the NJ/PA Cobra Breakfast on Sunday, October 8, at the Golden Star Diner to ask questions. We'll sit for breakfast at 9am, so arrive any time prior (8:30 is when the cars start showing up).

80 US-202
    Ringoes, New Jersey
    (908)284-2240

For NJ inspection you will need (among other items):
    a. Permanent windshield wipers
    b. Defroster
    c. 2 Brake reservoirs needed
    d. Brake low pressure/ low fluid warning light
    e. Label all switches
    f. Shift knob with pattern
    g. Hi Beam indicator
    h. Heat Shields on side-pipes
    i. Two throttle springs (one inside the other is OK)
    j. Self-cancelling blinkers
    k. Grips/rubber/non-skid on pedals
    l. Rear bumper (it protects fuel tank)
    m. No Emissions testing if 1995 Block or older (exempt from inspection per NJAC 13:20-7.2) but, if cats were originally on the engine, they must be on the engine. [But the emissions will not be tested]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Thanks so much for the reply.

It was unfortunate that I was away this past week down at Clemson in South Carolina to bring the kids to a football game but I would have loved to attend. Maybe it is something that I will be around for in the future.

I think that most of that list matches up to items that I had heard about and wanted to include.

a. Permanent Windshield Wipers - I was hoping for this that I could install something above the windshield that I might be able to remove in the future without the remaining artifacts of the removal?
    b. Defroster - I do plan for this on my installation
    c. 2 Brake Resevoirs - I think that this is just a good idea, we did discuss it at the build school and it makes sense.
    d. Brake Fluid Warning Light - Again I believe that this is a good idea anyway.
    e. Label Switches - This seems a little funny but I have no problem doing so.
    f. Shift Knob with Pattern - That will be easy enough.
    g. Hi Beam Indicator - This one I did not know about so good to know.
    h. Heat Shields - This has always made sense to me because I do not want to burn legs and I actually think that they look nice on the car. I was planning on going with Black Side Pipes and a Chrome Slotted Heat Shield on top.
    i. Two Throttle Springs - I did not know about this one either so good to know.
    j. Self Canceling Blinkers - I was planning on looking for the Russ Thompson Turn Signal Stick but I am not sure what the supply is like out there for this.
    k. Non-Skid Pedals - I got this one written down from when I spoke with someone at the Asbury Park DMV
    l. Rear Bumper - I was planning for this with the look as just the 2 bumpets without the full hoop.

m. So this is my big struggle as I was looking at a new BluePrint 302 EFI engine which would come with a modern year on the block and therefore require me to adhere to the current regulations. I have no issue with having a catalytic converter in the setup but I guess right now my problem is figuring out how to do this. I was told by Factory Five that the one that they sell is only for a Big Block Engine. So now I am not sure where to source the catalytic converter into the assembly.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like Rockman gave you the parts to look for as well as the shop where he had the work done above.
    you'll likely need to source the cats on your own and have a muffler shop do the welding unless you have the capabilities of doing it yourself.

edit: just looked them up and they're not cheap :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Get shorties and the FFR J-pipes. Have these welded into the straight section of the Js. Problem solved.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-2000130

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Get shorties and the FFR J-pipes. Have these welded into the straight section of the Js. Problem solved.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-2000130

Jeff
    Hello. Thanks for the replies.

That approach seems to make a lot of sense to me.

I just had someone send me a private message with an offer and talking about having an older 302 catalytic converter that Factory Five used to sell but no longer do. I am also going to see what that approach looks like as I have not heard about that before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Superfly - curious if you came to a conclusion on your approach for the catalytic converters? I am right up the road from you in Wall. I have completed my rolling chassis build and now find myself needing to deal with this catalytic Nj requirement to prep for legalizing my ride. It’s keeping me from moving to finalizing the project with body and all. I pretty much got all the same answers this thread outlines with phone calls I made to Forte, FFR and GasN this week. George at GasN was super nice but told me best bet was to register it in PA. lol. I don’t think I can do that so he said he’d be able to get it done but would be custom job and $$. If there is as setup I could put together sounds like it would be much better.