Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Engine Choices

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilElement View Post
    The 6 speed was originally designed for the JDM 2.0 which pulled to 8k RPM from the factory and when you run that kind of RPM the 04-06 6 speeds are phenomenal on the track......My car does run larger wheels/tire and I have up to 8500 RPM if I need it.

Phil-

Which year/versions of the 2.0 and 2.5 turbo motors have the highest (reliable) out-of-the-box red lines?

You mention an 8500 RPM red line on yours -- were a lot of modifications required to achieve that? and is it fairly reliable motor if spun hard?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're after RPMs I'd go with a destroked 2.5L (2.34), those rev to 9K if you use the right internals - IMO this is THE engine to have if you're building a 818-R. If I remember right, it's a 257/255 block with a 205/207 crank and custom rods. There was a group buy for the rods and pistons on NASIOC not that long ago, I'm not sure if it's still going though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with someone at Maxwell Power (http://www.getadomtune.com/services.htm) about the 2.34L engines, which they build in various states of tune. Expect to spend $5K - $10K, probably about $8K for what most people would want for the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, having MPS do it isn't going to be cheap but they do good work. I briefly considered making a 2.34 after I bought the case halves from an EJ255 to make my 205/257 hybrid. It wasn't going to be all that much more than buying the forged internals that I'm looking at getting now. I'd have to check NASIOC to see if the groupbuy is still going but I want to say it was ~$1500 for the custom pistons and rods.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345