Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote tune and speed dial question

Senior Member golfobsessed71@gmail.com's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coyote tune and speed dial question

I think I'm posting in the right area... I have a coyote question.

I have a Gen 1 crate coyote in my MK4 with only 300 miles, I purchased the car unfinished with motor installed.

Early on the original builder had a JMS tune put in the car for the apparent deceleration stall issue in the Gen 1 coyote.

He also installed a speed dial as it came with the speed sensor kit... the speed dial in the kit was for the declaration stall as well.

Car runs out and drives great but has a high idle (2000 at start up and down to 1100 after warm up)

I did much reading about the tune and speed dial both not being necessary and commonly creating a high idle when used together... I disconnected power to the speed dial and instantly the idle is now perfect and had lots of test rides with no stalling... all appeared solved.

I have now had the car stall twice when getting off an exit ramp at the stop light and also when coming to a stop sign and pushing in the clutch the car stalled... which is a bit scary with hydro PS/PB and loosing the assist.

I can't find a tuner to save my life and the ones I've talked to are not confidant they can fix either or both issues.

My question is this... I put an on/off switch on the power wire to the speed dial, I turn it on and the stall is zero but the idle is high... I turn it off and idle is perfect but occasional stall.

Can I move the switch to the inside of the car and turn the speed dial on and off on the run... while driving? will I do any harm by turning the speed dial on and off while driving in particular to the computer?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-17-2022 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the programming switches set to on the speed dial? IIRC one setting puts the speed dial in test mode, causing it to pulse the output continuously, whether the car is in motion or not. It is in the speed dial manual,. I think it is with the switches in the minimum position.

Also, do you have a clutch switch fitted? On my gen 1 it makes a difference to the RPM:
    Clutch out: 850 RPM
    Clutch pressed: 1000 RPM.

If your clutch switch is fitted and adjusted correctly, your starter will not crank unless clutch is pressed.

I have never had a stall issue, but I have never tried running without speed dial. I can do some testing with it disconnected, but not for a few days as weather is bad here.

Start with checking switch settings and clutch I reckon.

Best of luck,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for responding Nige... my settings are all at "0"

I am going to check on the clutch switch when I'm back home.
    I took the car out today (115 and OMG hot) after lunch I started the car with speed dial on and decided to try to turn the switch off while idling and the idle immediately dropped and no stalls on my drive home.

It would appear the stalls are far and few between and I could probably learn to slow to a stop downshifting and keeping the car from stalling but I have to pay attention.

Clearly I want to get this resolved as the car runs out and performs great other than a periodic stall or slightly high idle, both livable... probably because I love driving this car. 20220704_071214.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure all settings at 0 or possibly 1are test mode. Put them all on 3 and see if it makes a difference. Personally, I think the clutch switch is important and should be set to close as clutch disengages.
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    Pretty sure all settings at 0 or possibly 1are test mode. Put them all on 3 and see if it makes a difference. Personally, I think the clutch switch is important and should be set to close as clutch disengages.
    Thank you again Nige, I am absolutely gonna try changing my settings to see if that changes my idle... again with the speed dial engaged the idle is just a bit high but absolutely no stall, disengaged the idle is perfect but periodic stall.

I was not sure about the settings in the speed dial