Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ride height

Post Thanks / Like

Ride height

Hey guys just wondering. Now that my green beast is full of fluids I an concerned it sits a bit low 8A7A63DA-E4E3-4AD1-9D92-BD5C9042C29E.jpg
    What is the height of yours from the ground to the underside of the nose

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry!

I feel you at least deserve some kind of answer…but mine is going to stir the pot.

Had somewhere between 6 and 7 inches from the underside of the grill to the road on mine. Can’t tell you exactly any longer as the truck is now sold.

…..

Yes…I know it’s WAY outside of FFR Spec, but when the streets in my hood are almost as rough as driving across a stubble field in winter, will throw the book out every time and do what is needed to make the vehicle practical.

Cheers!
    Pat
    Once again with an 88 mm Turbo, Big Block Chevy powered, ‘35 Hot Rod Pickup

Post Thanks / Like
    Granted, I drive a roadster, not a truck, but I'll offer my (somewhat biased) opinion: if you clear speed bumps, you're good. I'm a little under 4 inches at the frame. I used to hit speed bumps with the bellhousing, but a little bit of trimming fixed that. Just sayin'. Like everyone always says on this forum, it's your car, do what you think is right.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, Your question is direct and practical, but a bit nebulous. Bodywork is the result of numerous tolerance stack-ups and subtle assembly choices.
    Most (here) reference a frame feature to ground to describe clearance. This is a basis for determining ride height and suspension alignment.
    Often the ride height preference is aesthetics and low is preferred. You should determine what clearance you can tolerate given your local terrain (driveway ramp and speed bumps) and jack your frame to achieve that number. Then evaluate if the appearance is acceptable. If it is, adjust the spring collars and assume the alignment may need a re-adjust.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    My truck build is on the lift right now so can't give you an exact measurement. But can provide this feedback. I initially set mine to the ride height shown in the manual. But with full fenders on my build, the tires were too close to the fender lips and I was afraid they would rub under normal driving. So raised ride height all around about one inch. Still might be a little low, but going to start there. At that ride height, the grille bottom at the front is clearly the lowest part of the entire underside. It's just under three inches. Close and I'll need to keep an eye one it. Fortunately, speed bumps aren't too much of a thing around where I live. But I don't think I'd want it any lower.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tie rod angle to steering rack is critical and is a function of ride height (firewall to ground). As you increase ride height (beyond 6" in my case), you increase tierod-to-rack angle; angle creates (unwanted) lateral force against rack tube and displaces bushing on passenger side (hidden by rubber boot), allowing tierod to flop around enough to cause serious handling problems (lash between front wheels). an easy way to check for this: toe-in changes when you rock the steering wheel.
    You can change the grill height slightly by raising entire grill/radiator assembly where it slots over the control arm bolts; this will also affect hood gaps, and of course, I had to reposition fenders to Gain wheel clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Great help. I am 3 3/4” on my 34 and 4” on my 35. I have had no problems with my 34 so I think I will be good.