FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Sigh.... leaking Moser 8.8" again

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh.... leaking Moser 8.8" again

Well S**t!

2nd time the chrome cover on the Moser 8.8" rear end is leaking. That last time I even sanded off the chrome on gasket surface and applied Ultra Black RTV. Talked to a neighbor yesterday who is a car nut as well and he mentioned no matter how well you sand / prep / clean a chrome cover in time it's gonna leak.

It's not a big deal to change it, I'd just rather be cruising right now than having it up on the lift working on it. I ordered an Aluminum Ford Racing 8.8 cover last night, should be here Wednesday, it also has the main bearing adjuster bolts for better stabilization of the bearing caps.

Ford Racing 8.8 Rear End cover --> https://www.amazon.com/Ford-M-4033-G...ps%2C72&sr=8-6

I guess the positive in this is last time I fixed the cover I put Royal Purple 75W90 synthetic gear oil in it since some folks rave about Royal Purple, but to me, the rear end seems noisier, nothing alarming, just noisier (hard to explain). I'm going to switch to Torco 85W140 w/ GL6 this time around with 4 oz of their matching friction modifier.

I had a similar situation in my Currie 9" rear installed on my 69 Mustang and after talking with Currie tech support last year they noted these Ford 8.8" & 9" rear ends need the thicker gear oil especially if tracking the car and they recommended 85W140 w/ GL6 either their Currie brand (of course) or Torco. I went with Torco and it immediately took care of the noise in the 9" rear end, hope it will do the same on the 8.8" rear on the 33 too. Time will tell I guess.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with my aluminum girdle cover. Two different gaskets, the good stuff grey sealer and it still leaked. Take a good look at the threads on the end of your cover bolts. Mine looked a little gauled. I cut off about an 1/8 of an inch on each, ran a thread die on them to clean them up and also bought a Mr. Gasket (Holley) ribbed gasket and no more leaks. It was so slight it took several days to show up. The bolts had bottomed in the holes.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

3. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Moser in my truck build leaked too. Talked to Moser. They sent me another paper gasket.

Took it apart. Got both surfaces thoroughly clean. And used Permatex 29208 The Right Stuff Gasket Maker exactly per their instructions. Except I let it set up a couple days vs. the 90 minutes or whatever from the instructions. No leaks since and seems rock solid.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, the chrome surface got me too. Drained the brand new gear fluid into a clean container so I could reuse it and got it sealed with the “right stuff”

Post Thanks / Like
    New Ford Racing aluminum cover installed last night. I'll wait a day to fill it to allow the ultra black sealant to cure, then I'll add the 85W140 Torco gear oil with Torco friction modifier and I should be good to go for plenty of miles with smiles.

Much nicer looking than the chrome cover

Jim

20220803_091426.jpg
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

8. Likes CaptB, TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume the original cover is a steel stamping. The chrome is actually three layers of metal, chemical-electroplated in a dip process. 1-copper, 2-nickel, 3-chrome.
    As long as the steel is flat and the vat anodes located effectively the metal layers should be a consistent thickness.
    Placing the cover face down on a surface plate and probing with a feeler gage will disclose any gaps. (gasket sealer has a gap filling specification)
    Absent a surface grinding machine, I question the ability to maintain a flat surface hand grinding.
    A potential contributor is fastener spacing, head/flange size and rib design between the fasteners.
    The new machined aluminum cover eliminates the stamping problems.
    jim