FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 2 questions... Dash instrument measurement and AC provider/brand?

Post Thanks / Like

2 questions... Dash instrument measurement and AC provider/brand?

In planning my '35 build, I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but, for now, I need these two questions answered.

1. The center dash oval where FF wants the instrument cluster mounted... can someone please provide me the inside measurements of the oval, i.e., width and height in inches?
    2. What brand is the AC system provided by FF (Classic Air, Vintage Air or someone else)?

The reason I'm asking, I deleted the gauge and seat package from my order and I'm going with Dakota Digital. Dakota Digital has many options I want to take advantage of like integration with a climate control module for the AC system, integration with the OBD-II EFI of the Coyote Engine I'll going to install, Cruise control, TPMS system, GPS speedo module, Compass and Temp module, and cooling fan controls.

I've attached a few pictures of some base options. As you can see, I'm trying to determine what will fit within the FF oval.

Thanks Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    The oval on the truck dash is 13 x 6 inches. That's the dimensions of the metal plate that FF provides. The opening is just slightly larger, but the edges are rounded. So anything larger probably won't sit flat.

For the A/C, I'm nearly certain FF provides the same heat - A/C kit for the truck as for the hot rod. If so, also nearly certainly it uses the same Siroco condenser as used in the Coupe. Which I have experience with. It's small, and fits into the very limited space in the Coupe and hot rod. Because of its size, is very basic in its function. But for the truck, there's much more space. So for mine, I opted for this unit from Vintage Air: https://www.vintageair.com/custom/pr...pn=68000-VUZ-A. It fits comfortably, and has separate outlets for floor, dash, and defrost. Works with their other Gen II components, e.g. control panel, etc. More details in my build thread, linked in my sig line below.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks mkassab thanked for this post
    Likes mkassab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul.... great info as usual.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
    In planning my '35 build, I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but, for now, I need these two questions answered.

1. The center dash oval where FF wants the instrument cluster mounted... can someone please provide me the inside measurements of the oval, i.e., width and height in inches?
    2. What brand is the AC system provided by FF (Classic Air, Vintage Air or someone else)?

The reason I'm asking, I deleted the gauge and seat package from my order and I'm going with Dakota Digital. Dakota Digital has many options I want to take advantage of like integration with a climate control module for the AC system, integration with the OBD-II EFI of the Coyote Engine I'll going to install, Cruise control, TPMS system, GPS speedo module, Compass and Temp module, and cooling fan controls.

I've attached a few pictures of some base options. As you can see, I'm trying to determine what will fit within the FF oval.

Thanks Mark
    I used the Dakota digital. Fit perfect.Fit the oval like it was made for it.
    11-17-2020 2.jpg3-27=2-2- 1.jpg3-27-2020 4.jpg

Another option you could look at below. I used these in a Cobra I just built. But I like the other better as it uses a single CAT5 cable for attaching the cluster to the module. These have a ribbon style that connect together. These are Dakota Digital also and have all the gauges built into the tack and speedo.
    5-4-22 3.jpgDakota Digital.JPG
    Last edited by bnelson; 07-30-2022 at 09:50 AM.

6. Thanks mkassab thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    I used the Dakota digital. Fit perfect.Fit the oval like it was made for it.
    11-17-2020 2.jpg3-27=2-2- 1.jpg3-27-2020 4.jpg

Another option you could look at below. I used these in a Cobra I just built. But I like the other better as it uses a single CAT5 cable for attaching the cluster to the module. These have a ribbon style that connect together. These are Dakota Digital also and have all the gauges built into the tack and speedo.
    5-4-22 3.jpgDakota Digital.JPG
    Thanks BNelson

Post Thanks / Like
    edwardb : If one goes the Vintage Air route and uses the 960-68000-VUZ-A Gen II ComPac Evaporator did you also buy the Vintage Air Condenser? I noticed they have one sized for '32 Ford, I think it's 35342-VUG with #6 lines.

My truck order is already in with the Heat / Air option 34691 but I may change this.

Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonImbimbo View Post
    edwardb : If one goes the Vintage Air route and uses the 960-68000-VUZ-A Gen II ComPac Evaporator did you also buy the Vintage Air Condenser? I noticed they have one sized for '32 Ford, I think it's 35342-VUG with #6 lines.

My truck order is already in with the Heat / Air option 34691 but I may change this.

Thx.
    These are the exact parts I have in my truck heat - A/C system:

Compressor: Sanden SD-7. Included with Vintage Air 175011 Front Runner kit that I purchased for the LS3 crate motor in my build.
    Evaporator: Vintage Air 960-68000-VUZ-A Gen II ComPac Evaporator Kit
    Receiver Dryer and Trinary Switch: Vintage Air 07323-VUC
    Condenser: Vintage Air 03032-OFV
    Control Panel: Vintage Air 48104-RHQ
    Side vents: (2) Billet Specialties Air Conditioning Vents 38110
    Center vent: Vintage Air ProLine Louver 49062-VUQ

I had to fabricate brackets to mount the condenser in the grille along with the radiator. Also had to make custom aluminum lines out of the condenser to where they attach to the regular rubber lines. I tried to make them myself. But ended up using Vintage Air's custom fabrication service. Both of these items (brackets and lines for the condenser) are included with the Factory Five heat - A/C kit. But this is still a significantly improved setup compared to what they provide and fits comfortably behind the truck dash.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-20-2022 at 11:02 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

10. Thanks DonImbimbo thanked for this post
    Likes Chopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those watching this thread. I did change my FF order and removed the Heat & A/C option. Having control over where the Hot / Cold air goes from the control panel I thought was worth the change. I have since ordered the Vintage Air components through Jegs.