Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Cockpit Trim Panel

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Cockpit Trim Panel

Help! What is the best way to attach the Rear Cockpit Trim Panel to the body? The manual suggests Velcro or silicon but neither of these worked very well. The attached pic shows the trim panel just sitting in place. All ideas are welcome. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't run the hard top and have the rag top, so I use the two threaded anchor points for the rag top on the ends and then I added two nut zerts with stainless screws on the back. The rag top cops the nut zerts so you don't see them.

20210520_162745.jpg

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a series of snap buttons (I think 6) one side attached with screws to the body and the other side epoxy glued to the cover strip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great solutions.

If anyone used adhesive, what kind did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry a little late to the party here but what about these DZUS slide latches?

s-l1600.jpg
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I think I found a solution. The problem as shown in pic 0722-01, the trim panel did not fit the shape of the body. With the front part by the door flat on the body, the back part was raised up quite a bit. As one would expect, when the back part was against the body, the front part was way up in the air. Nothing I found was strong enough to hold both areas to the body, even though I could push down on both areas forcing the trim piece to conform to the body shape.

My solution, the trim piece backing is made of plastic (I believe). So, I used a heat gun to soften it up and gently reshaped it. After multiple sessions, the reshaped trim piece laid flat onto the body in all areas. I then used some extra strength double-sided tape to attach it to the body and it feels pretty firmly connected. Pics 0822-01 and 0822-02 show it installed.

Maybe a new problem. My Hot Rod is not licensed yet (but I’m getting ready to) but I live in a private road community so I can drive it around the block without breaking any laws. The trim piece has seen 25-30 mph wind and is still on the back of the body.

My question is: Has any one used double-sided tape and can it withstand 80 mph winds (this is the speed limit is some areas of Texas)? Keeping my finger crossed. Any comments?

0722-01.JPG0822-01.JPG0822-02.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Velcro strips initially, 1-1/2" wide and because the trim strip fit close but not perfect, I still thought I was OK. No sir eee! after about 100 miles of driving it came loose and only by a quick response did I catch the piece before it blew off at 60MPH. Then I switched to the snap buttons and haven't had any problems. I believe over time the trim piece has also conformed to the body shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    Sorry a little late to the party here but what about these DZUS slide latches?

s-l1600.jpg
    Those are slick - would be easy to hide. I'm stealing this idea!
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread