Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Foamy Power Steering - Solved!!

Post Thanks / Like

Foamy Power Steering - Solved!!

I'll post the solution here instead of lower down in a new post. Hopefully this will aid someone else from repeating my mistake.

The problem ended up being bad seals at the ports on PS rack. I first used just an oring with the straight threaded fittings. Then tried the sealing washers by themselves. Then I thought they needed to be used together and this was confirmed by Jeff Kleiner. That worked!

Place the sealing washer on the fitting first, then the oring then thread the fitting into the port and just snug tight. The oring will seat against the chamfered portion on the port.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There have been some posts previously, but looking to get a little help with foaming power steering on my MKIV.

Here is my set up:
    - Coyote Gen 2
    - Older style PS that uses the triangular bracket w/idler, the AC mounts to hold the pump, and a remote reservoir.
    - '87-'93 Mustang Rack
    - AN fittings and hoses

I have done the bleed as directed without the engine running, plus extra. I think I have gone lock to lock over 30 times during the process. But as soon as I get the engine going and turn the wheel the pin hole at the reservoir becomes a geyser and the fluid is all foamy (and extremely messy!). Or after the engine runs for ~20-30 seconds it starts shooting out due to the foaming. Reservoir is about half full.

I have noticed when going lock to lock w/o the engine running that there are large air bubbles (very little foaming) coming from the return line from the rack. I can see the large bubbles entering the reservoir. This continues no matter how much I bleed the system. Which, I assume is where the problem lies. No matter how much I go lock to lock the large air bubbles persist.

I would appreciate any input to help with this. My next step is go kart stage and this foaming is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by juddster; 08-01-2022 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Solved the issue
    MKIV #8414 - Complete Kit - Gen 2 Coyote - MT82 6 Speed - Wilwoods - Moser 3.55 Rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Seal in the rack may be bad with air getting in. When I had my first start I had similar issue. The seal where the steering shaft meets broke and shot fluid everywhere. Had to replace rack and haven't had an issue again.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuhale View Post
    Seal in the rack may be bad with air getting in. When I had my first start I had similar issue. The seal where the steering shaft meets broke and shot fluid everywhere. Had to replace rack and haven't had an issue again.

Thanks for the insight. The rack is new. Is there a way to verify/test if the seal is bad? It looks fine and has no leaks.
    MKIV #8414 - Complete Kit - Gen 2 Coyote - MT82 6 Speed - Wilwoods - Moser 3.55 Rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure that the lines aren’t reversed. Lower port on the rack is pressure and upper is return.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by juddster View Post
    Thanks for the insight. The rack is new. Is there a way to verify/test if the seal is bad? It looks fine and has no leaks.
    It would be leaking if so... Check if you have the high/low pressure lines correct as Jeff highlighted. Maybe air just getting out of system? Pump is ok/not leaking?
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Be sure that the lines aren’t reversed. Lower port on the rack is pressure and upper is return.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. Lines are correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuhale View Post
    It would be leaking if so... Check if you have the high/low pressure lines correct as Jeff highlighted. Maybe air just getting out of system? Pump is ok/not leaking?
    No leaks at the pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update. Still in need of help.

FFR recommended a new pump. Tried a new pump (not a reman - the one provided by FFR looks like a reman) and still the same foaming issue.

Inspected the fittings at the pump (6AN to 16mm/6AN to 14mm - just like what is offered by Breeze) and found that they had bottomed out and so the oring wasn't engaging. Got some sealing washers (rubber on the ID and steel on the OD) as used by Breeze and others, but still am seeing the foaming. As I am typing this curious if the orings and sealing washer are used together? Anyone know?

Seems like the only thing left to check is the rack, but it is new and does not appear to have any issues.

Anybody else have ideas??

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, sealing washers and O rings are used together. Don’t crank down on the O rings, that can cut them or walk them out of place. Run the fitting in until the ring is almost making contact then use the sealing washer and nut to take it to just snug.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Yes, sealing washers and O rings are used together. Don’t crank down on the O rings, that can cut them or walk them out of place. Run the fitting in until the ring is almost making contact then use the sealing washer and nut to take it to just snug.

Jeff
    Ahh. Good to know. Just to clarify - Put the sealing washer on the fitting first, then the oring so the oring would contact first as the fitting is tightened in. Do I have that right?

Thanks Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    See solution in first post.