Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS Diff offset?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

IRS Diff offset?

I've got a Gen1.5 chassis with the 2015 IRS. Does anyone else see the potential issue here?

DS-C-02.jpg DS-C-01.jpg

I don't have a driveshaft yet, and my trans is in pieces on the workbench right now, but this looks like a problem to me. Is the pinion supposed to be this far offset to the passenger side? It almost looks to me like there's going to be interference between the driveshaft and the "driveshaft loops" on the chassis.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission and diff need to be offset so the needle bearings in the u-joints spin properly. Unless the driveshaft contacts something when it's installed, I don't see a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind the drive shaft itself that will go through the driveshaft loop in the frame is only 3" in diameter and not the same diameter as the mating surface on the differential. I think you'll be fine.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! Offset is required for proper u-joint operation. All OEM factory vehicles with a driveshaft are offset.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same configuration (Gen 1.5 chassis and IRS), no issue. Yes it ends up tighter on one side but still lots of clearance.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

6. Thanks TxMike64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Same configuration (Gen 1.5 chassis and IRS), no issue. Yes it ends up tighter on one side but still lots of clearance.

Steve
    Thanks Steve! This is the response I was hoping for.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread