Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rear IRS half shafts - question

Post Thanks / Like

Rear IRS half shafts - question

So I'm concerned that I might not have gotten my half shafts fully engaged to the rear Dif. When installing them, I hit the ends with a rubber mallet several times, but I didn't really "pull" in them to see if they were indeed clipped in (I can't say I ever "felt" or "heard" them engage either)

Everything is installed (hubs brakes etc.) - and I COULD take it all back apart and double check it - but I'm wondering if there's a measurement one could take between the diff and the shafts that would confirm this without doing that? I have about a .09 gap between them (see pics). Should there be any space AT ALL here? or should they be physically up against the dif?

Thoughts? Suggestions? measurements of anyone who has them DEFINITELY engaged?

2022-08-20 13.40.40.jpg2022-08-20 13.40.29.jpg

Thanks
    Rian

Post Thanks / Like
    both of those are in.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike! That makes me feel a lot better......

Post Thanks / Like
    So, here's the deal. The axle shafts have that big circlip fitted to the end, in the groove. You have to push the axle stub in far enough for the clip to get past the end of the side gears, and then expand. That is critical. If the clip doesn't get past that point, the axle will fall out.

In some instance, you will get the axle stud in, but the clip didn't pop out the other side and lock the axle. That happens because the groove is not exactly right. It's off by a mm or two. It looks exactly as it should, but it's not locked.

The only way to tell for sure is to tug on the axle stub. It should move out a smidgen and then make a solid stop. You can feel that metal to metal contact as the clip hits the back of the side gear.

It's usually the passenger side that's a problem. IDKW.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    The only way to tell for sure is to tug on the axle stub. It should move out a smidgen and then make a solid stop. You can feel that metal to metal contact as the clip hits the back of the side gear.

A video I made a few years back of a properly seated IRS axle (so the forum said).

https://youtu.be/_OqJZRjjegc

Dave
    Gen III Coupe #17

6. Likes rhk118 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply Dave!
    Was the other end of the shaft in the hub during your video? (I'm assuming with the axl nut NOT attached)
    RR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rian_Colorado View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dave!
    Was the other end of the shaft in the hub during your video? (I'm assuming with the axl nut NOT attached)
    RR
    The axle was free. I don't know what it would do or sound like if the axle assembly was complete.

Dave
    Gen III Coupe #17